The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi all -- My American Fender Tele (2000) has scratchy pots, both volume and tone. I've seen a few YouTube videos that indicate a quick squirt of Deoxit D5 in the little port opening typically will fix that. Anyone have any experience with that stuff? Surprisingly, a search for Deoxit on the forum yields no results, so I'm wondering if this actually is the cure-all those videos suggest. Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Perdido
    Hi all -- My American Fender Tele (2000) has scratchy pots, both volume and tone. I've seen a few YouTube videos that indicate a quick squirt of Deoxit D5 in the little port opening typically will fix that. Anyone have any experience with that stuff? Surprisingly, a search for Deoxit on the forum yields no results, so I'm wondering if this actually is the cure-all those videos suggest. Thanks.
    Cute all, maybe not, but I’ve had very good results using it.

User Info Menu

yes deoxit works great..been usin it for years...highly recommended

just mentioned it in a thread last week...

use the advanced search ^ and it'll turn up quite a few forum threads!

cheers

User Info Menu

Yep, Deoxit is just what you need. Work the pot up and down several times after you spray it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yes deoxit works great..been usin it for years...highly recommended

just mentioned it in a thread last week...

use the advanced search ^ and it'll turn up quite a few forum threads!

cheers
    Learn something new every day, thanks! Today I got lucky and learned two new things.

User Info Menu

Or just twist the pots rapidly a number of times, back and forth. Depending on the level of oxidation in the pot, that might do it. It sometimes works, and costs nothing except a small amount of energy, and you need exercise anyway.

User Info Menu

Thanks, all. Just ordered myself a can from Amazon. (Even though I don't really need the exercise!)

User Info Menu

Deoxit is also great for noisy amp pots and flaky jacks. Spray a little on the plug and push it in and out several times.

User Info Menu

D5 is marketed for connectors and switches.
    DeoxIT D-Series page with shop - CAIG

F5 adds a lubricant for faders and potentiometers.
    DeoxIT(R) Fader, #F5S-H6

A lot of folks use D5 for everything, but I think the pots will last longer with the lubricant.