The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
    I'm looking at two notes torpedo-line to be able to record guitar. I can't turn my amp up loud enough to get a decent tone from a mic, and virtual amps just sounds too uninspiring for me to bother. Thus enters the torpedo, which would let me send the signal from my amp directly to my computer, complete with high quality IRs.

Ideally I would like to get the Torpedo captor, as that acts as a loadbox in case I want to forgo my speaker altogether, and as an attenuator, in case I do want to hear my speaker and still crank the amp.
    However, there is also the CAB, of which I can get a pretty good deal on right now. It does not offer loadbox or attenuation, so I would be limited when using my amps, but it does have a pretty great sounding power amp simulation. This might allow me to skip amplifiers altogether, and record directly into the CAB.
    My worry is that since it doesn't do any significant pre-amplification, it might not do great clean sounds. The demos online usually showcase it together with drive pedals, but the few examples of clean tones either sounds like shit, or involves the Le clean pre amp.

Tldr; does anyone use the torpedo CAB as a stand alone unit to get good, clean jazz tones? Does it work for this purpose, or should I just get the slightly more expensive captor?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Two Notes Torpedo Cab M+ has a Silverface Bassman preamp model that is very good.

What are the differences between Torpedo Captor X and Torpedo Captor + Torpedo C.A.B. M.

User Info Menu

I have a captor and a cab m+.

Long story short is that you could find either useful. The captor is a great way to get your amp into your daw and comes with the software and a nice selection of cabs to get you started. The cab m has many of the same features in one box, with an added preamp.

But over time, I came to prefer other things to their cabs by some distance. Didn't think too much of their reverbs, either. The preamp in the cab m doesn't do it for me, which was sad. Maybe if I tried it with a 3rd party or I'd like it more, but I forget if that's possible. And the thing is almost useless without the app, because using just the two little encoders gets old really fast.

That said, I still have both around, through they currently aren't getting much use. If I were playing out, they be a lot more useful to me. But they both can do a lot for you, solving lots of issues and potentially being one stop solutions. I might eventually try to make the cab m work for me, but it's not an issue, yet. It is pretty handy with bass, so I'll give it that. A tube preamp and am eq/comp box into the cab m and out to all pa made a pretty sweet bass rig.

I'd probably stick to one of those two, because the older ones are much larger, older and order fewer features.

I have the cab m+ and I have used it mainly for practice in the evening when people are sleeping. I use it with a Telecaster and an Archtop and both sound great. It took a while to find good sounds on it and I probably still need to get better at that. The Strymon version might be way easier to achieve the same thing with less struggle. That being said, it was cheaper and I really like the ability to mix in an outside source of music with aux 1/8 inch in. The sounds are very good when mixing with other music/sound. When using with headphones though, it is a little annoying that it is mono. As for the reverb and every other setting, you can turn it off or tweak it in the mix. This is where the system is very powerful. However, as I said above, it requires more time and knowledge of how to get those types of sounds. Once you do, it is easy to save lots of presets. Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

I haven't tried the CAB, but i have been using the Captor for a couple of years now. I usually use it with a speaker cabinet connected in the attenuated output. The standard Captor that i have does not have an adjustable attenuator, so it's either the full signal or a 20 db cut. I live in an apartment, and the -20 db cut works perfectly for me. I think the more expensive Captor X have an adjustable cut.
    I tried a Kemper first, but it did not feel right to me, so i ended up with a Morgan PR12 (princeton inspired amp) head and the Two Notes Captor. Using the Captor with their Wall of sound plugin for IRs works pretty well for me, though it took some tweaking to find a sound i liked.

Thanks guys! I think I realize that what I'm after is to be able to get good recordings with my amps, not just to get a decent sound anyway possible. Don't care for pre amps and flexibility, just wanting something I can plug in to my overtone special and start playing with minimal effort. The captor it is!