The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Just wondering if anyone else plays these things? They've been out for years now, I remember I tried one when they first came out, and immediately did not like it. I can't remember why. I just know that I forgot about them. Until recently when I saw a Jim Campilongo video where he mentioned he was now using V-Picks "fusion" model. I've been using Dunlop Ultex 2.0 for many years, and had pretty much settled on that as "my pick", forever. But, on a whim I bought one of the Fusion V-picks.

It's fantastic. it's pretty rounded... it's actually alot like playing with the rounded end of a standard pick, which I think we discussed in a thread here recently, but I've never felt comfortable holding the pick that way. I'm really really digging the V-Pick. They aren't cheap, but to compensate they last a very very long time.

Anyone here use or try V-Picks?

V-Picks?-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I own and have played several different styles from them, and I found I enjoyed the "pearly gates" feel and sound the best. Interestingly, these are nothing like other picks I like (in terms of size and thickness), so I encourage people to experiment a bit -- you may be surprised, too! The Fusion model looks cool -- glad you like it!
    [Sure, they're not cheap, but nothing close to a Blue Chip in price!]

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    I own and have played several different styles from them, and I found I enjoyed the "pearly gates" feel and sound the best. Interestingly, these are nothing like other picks I like (in terms of size and thickness), so I encourage people to experiment a bit -- you may be surprised, too! The Fusion model looks cool -- glad you like it!
    [Sure, they're not cheap, but nothing close to a Blue Chip in price!]
    YES, I have a Blue Chip and a Red bear. Both are nice picks... (I don't use either, but I much prefer the Red Bear to the Blue Chip), which are worth their prices IF you dig the feel and tone of them... they too, last a very long time.

You know what bothers me more than picks wearing out? The rough edges they end up with (when the edges get thin enough to start micro chipping)... once that happens, they don't feel good; they "hang" on the string, and I have to throw them out. "At least they're cheap"!

User Info Menu

I like the sound of a a thick acrylic Vpick. 2.5mm - 3mm in a large triangle. I like the Santana model which they market as 'freakishly large rounded' though it's not all that large. Also like the sound of their pearly gates which is just a bit more mellow but still well defined. Use them both on a regular basis. In addition to the tone, there is something in the mix that makes these picks very grippy as they warm up to your fingers. Very well finished edges and they have good customer service.

You might also consider Gravity Picks which are about the same in quality and materials but the 3mm comes in clear optic orange. Very easy to spot when you drop it. A brilliant feature more fully appreciated when your expensive Blue Chip disappears in camouflage brown.

User Info Menu

I love them. I have a few. When I was in Nashville a couple of years back I got to meet Vinnie. Had a delightful hour with him looking at his setup. Give them a go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I have tried three of them including the fusion model mentioned above, the chicken picking model and one that is very thick and allegedly inspired by Johnny Smith. The material kind a looks like a sparkly bowling ball. They are all bigger than the picks I usually use (ProPlec small teardrops). I found all three of those had a lot of pick noise against the string which annoyed me, so I have not made much use of them. I liked the feel of the really thick one, however, and I don't normally like 2+ millimeter picks. I found the edges of all of them to be kind of rough.

However, I did recently get their circular Gypsy pick; don't care for it on acoustic but I've been liking it on electric. It is a 1 inch diameter circle, about a millimeter to a millimeter and a half thick, and it's pretty nice to play with. Smooth playing and fast. Polishing up the edges really helped with that one compared to the other three.

The tone of all of them is pretty bright and I tend to prefer a darker and softer attack, which is why I like the D'Andrea Pro Plecs.

User Info Menu

This was a gift. Great pick! I use it a lot.
    Attached Images Attached Images V-Picks?-vpick-screamer_0807-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    ...I use it a lot.
    Are those string grooves worn into this fairly tough material?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Are those string grooves worn into this fairly tough material?
    No, it's quite smooth. The outer part curves down on both sides to a defined edge that seems to be holding up nicely. Lots of better pix in different colours/materials can be found on the net that show it clearly. This one is three or four years old.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 02-22-2021 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara

The tone of all of them is pretty bright and I tend to prefer a darker and softer attack, which is why I like the D'Andrea Pro Plecs.
    I don't find that with the Fusion AT ALL. I hear a soft attack, due to it's thickness, roundness of the "point", and the bevel. It's warmth is one thing I love about it.

It's really interesting... I saw a video where a pro player mentioned Blue Chip picks, and how he found them unbelievably bright; I felt the opposite- I was playing my Blue Chip on acoustic guitars that were overly bright, to tame them a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    This was a gift. Great pick! I use it a lot.
    The Screamer is apparently their most popular model.

The Fusion model I mention is for people who like Fender Jazz picks; it's a tad bigger, but that's sort of what it's going for.

User Info Menu

I got my first V-Pick back when they were new and if I remember correctly clear was about the only choice. Oops. After losing one or two, I ordered ruby red when they became available (top center in my current rotation), along with some samples but I didn't like the shapes or thicknesses. The bevel is a little scuffed up after 5 or 6 (?) years and needs to be polished, but no wear to the edges. The pick point is probably a bit rounded vs. new but to me it is perfect. I think I got 2mm. I haven't looked at their site for a long time, I'll probably get a pick in that "bowling ball" material like Hammertone. Years ago they sold a leather pouch for picks, it's not on their site now but I really like it.
    V-Picks?-picks500x667-jpg V-Picks?-pick_pouch500x667-jpg

User Info Menu

I've tried a few V Picks. I'm not using any of them now but I agree with marcwhy above about the "pearly gates" model. (I'm pretty that's named after Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top.)

User Info Menu

absolutely excellent picks as well as gravity picks

User Info Menu

I ordered the Pearly Gates and the Diamond and they showed up a couple of days ago...I really like the Diamond, 4mm thick. I got the regular Diamond, not the pointy one.
    Diamond

User Info Menu

my favorite is the small white pearly gates, but they are out of stock now. Just ordered a couple of ruby red and blue pearly gates small which were on stock. They are similar to a dunlop jazz iii in size but because of the thickness (2.75mm) i feel they give better tone for my gauge 12 strings