The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Is it possible to use a Fender Super Champ X2 Line Out with the speaker unplugged? This is for recording.

I have heard before that you shouldn't run an amp without a speaker load. But does this still apply to using a line out?

Thanks.

Doug

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm not sure, but the amp is a tube amp, so my guess is no, you can not run the amp without a load. The Fender User Manual says 8 ohm 15 watt minimum load.

User Info Menu

It’s true. A tube amp output transformer needs the load of the speaker. The power (wattage) generated by the trans without a load will damage at least the trans. Tube amps are high voltage/low current, SS amps are the reverse, low voltage/high current. Only way to operate a tube amp without a speaker is with a resistive load equal to or higher than the wattage out and at the resistive load expected. That is a big expensive resistor!

User Info Menu

Thanks, I thought I'd ask first-a lot cheaper than blowing up the amp!

Doug

UPDATE: I see that you can use the usb connection on the back of the amp to the computer. If you do this, the volume is controled from your DAW on the computer. (The volume control on the amp has no effect on the usb setting.) The usb also has a speaker emulator.
    Last edited by Doug B; 02-19-2021 at 03:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    It’s true. A tube amp output transformer needs the load of the speaker. The power (wattage) generated by the trans without a load will damage at least the trans. Tube amps are high voltage/low current, SS amps are the reverse, low voltage/high current. Only way to operate a tube amp without a speaker is with a resistive load equal to or higher than the wattage out and at the resistive load expected. That is a big expensive resistor!
    You can sometimes use the line out of a tube amp without a speaker load if the output tubes aren't driving any signal into the power transformer. (you can pull the PI tube or power tube or turn down the master volume to achieve that).
    But in that case your speaker will not make a sound if you just keep it connected, which I assume gives you fewer reasons for disconnecting it.

Sometimes line outs are from the pre amp only (so they are technically a pre-amp out).

I had a look at the super champ xd schematic and it is quite complex.
    It has several chips and solid state devices.
    As far as I could see the input signal first goes through a solidstate/digital pre amp section (all volume and tone controls are in that section), then the signal is split into two parts were one goes to the line out (with some SS buffer/amplifier) and the other part goes to a tube gain stage and tube phase inverter and then the power tubes.

It actually looks like you can pull the 12AX7 tube (power tubes too if you want to) and then use the line out without a speaker, or other load, connected (or just keep it connected since it will not make sound).
    However I don't think I would recommend doing it.
    There are many easier ways to record guitar.
    Last edited by orri; 02-26-2021 at 06:09 AM.

User Info Menu

You can buy a 8 ohm 15 watt resistor on Amazon. It is not expensive. However, like others have said, there are easier ways to record a electric guitar.