The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi all. I've been using TI Benson rounds on my L5 CT and other archtops. Love the tone and feel but getting a bit tired of the string noise that rounds produce. Considering changing to flats, but not sure of the difference between the Swing and GB flats (besides the fatter E string on the GBs). Is one more appropriate for an archtop with set in pickups vs. one with a floating pickup? (I have both). Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Len

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The bottom strings in the GB are heavier than the swings. For example a GB set of 12s has the same lower strings as the Swing 13s and the same upper strings as the Swing 12s.

User Info Menu

Also, I think the GBs get a different silk color. I don’t really think there is anything else.

User Info Menu

They are identical except for the string gauges.

wyndham Guest
    About ten dollars.

Thanks for the info, have ordered a couple of sets of the Jazz Swing in 12s.

Len

User Info Menu

Hey Len,Please let us know how they worked out for you. A lot of us struggle with those same choices.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wyndham
    About ten dollars.
    Extra tenner for Uncle GB's portrait.

So are the GB round wounds the same as the Jazz Bebop except for the GB tax and string gauge?

Also, any thoughts on whether rounds or flats work better on an acoustic archtop with a floating pickup?

I will report back on how the Jazz Swing does on my L5 CT with set in humbuckers.

Len