The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

We've had some talk around here about playing jazz on flat tops lately, and I know some of you know I recently ditched my Taylor for a much cheaper Martin 000 that I really like.

Well, that guitar I bought is on sale at Musicians Friend right now quite cheap. So passing this along.

Stupid Deal of the Day | Musician's Friend

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    We've had some talk around here about playing jazz on flat tops lately, and I know some of you know I recently ditched my Taylor for a much cheaper Martin 000 that I really like.

Well, that guitar I bought is on sale at Musicians Friend right now quite cheap. So passing this along.

Stupid Deal of the Day | Musician's Friend
    That link is for a Moog Phaser...

User Info Menu

I’m getting a Subharmonic Synth. Noice!

User Info Menu

Well that is weird. It links to a 000x1ae for me.

User Info Menu

i saw the martin stupid deal of the day too mr.b...thought of yours!

if they sell out quick, mf puts up a new stupid deal for rest of day

cheers

User Info Menu

It is a Martin Special 000 X1AE Style Acoustic-Electric Guitar for me. I wanted the synth.

Perhaps the stupid deal differs in various regions.

User Info Menu

That is a good deal, $360 for a solid spruce top. Not to mention that it comes with the Martin name.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    That is a good deal, $360 for a solid spruce top. Not to mention that it comes with the Martin name.
    It's really cleanly constructed, had a great setup right from the get go.

For a guy like me, who really just needs a flattop for knocking around and strumming tunes with non-jazz friends, it's all I need. I imagine there's others in the same boat as me here, so I passed it along.

User Info Menu

I'm seeing the Martin.

User Info Menu

Anybody know....Is this the HPL of which they say the back and sides are made? MF: “solid spruce top, with a customized rosette, and a back and sides made from durable, forest-friendly HPL material.”

Martin name or not, this sounds weird. From compositepanel.org:
    High Pressure Laminate or HPL, is the direct descendent of the original plastic laminate.
    HPL is produced by saturating multiple layers of kraft paper with phenolic resin. A layer of printed décor paper is placed on top of the kraft paper before pressing. The resulting sandwich is fused together under heat and pressure (more than 1,000 PSI). Because phenolic and melamine resins are thermoset plastics, the curing process transforms the resin into plastic by a cross linking process that converts the paper sheets into a single, rigid laminated sheet. Thermosetting creates strong, irreversible bonds that contribute to its durability.
    High pressure laminate is laminated to a composite panel utilizing a variety of adhesives. Particleboard or MDF are the preferred substrate because they provide a stable, durable, consistent and economical foundation. Due to its durability, high pressure laminates are a common choice for horizontal surfaces including flooring, countertops and desktops.
    compositepanel.org

User Info Menu

Yep, I think Martin's HPL is a lot of sawdust from others guitars as well.

I actually love the idea of alternative materials, because they can still sound good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    That link is for a Moog Phaser...
    ...and for me it's for an Ampeg bass head amp
    It looks like this doesn't work for us in Europe

User Info Menu

You sound good too, Mr. B.

User Info Menu

I haven't often bought a guitar at GC when I went in there for some other reason.

But, I bought an Ed Sheeran model Little Martin on impulse. I liked the way the high end sang out clearly. I thought the short scale might be helpful for some things.

I was figuring on having it set up with lower action and maybe lighter strings (for my arthritic hands), but my son grabbed the guitar and ended up recording a pop album with it. He got a lot of different sounds out of that little guitar and every one of them sounded great.

The reason I mention it is that it's an HPL instrument.