The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

I think I saw something like this somewhere...of course can't find it now.

Anybody know it? Use it? Like it?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I think I saw something like this somewhere...of course can't find it now.

Anybody know it? Use it? Like it?
    Like this one Dick Elliot uses ?

User Info Menu

Can't really tell...is it like a little strap thing that hooks up to a regular flatpick?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Ron Eschete and Rotem Sivan use them a lot.

It's Strum'n'Comfort as Marc and others said.

User Info Menu

Cool. Might get one just for fun.

User Info Menu

that was me!

a forum member was havin trouble holdin on to picks...i suggested he look at this-

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    that was me!

a forum member was havin trouble holdin on to picks...i suggested he look at this-

cheers
    Yes, that was me. I have a few different models on the way including this one. I'll report back after I get some time trying them all out. Maybe I can do a side-by-side comparison of sorts as to what was best in my particular set of circumstances. Device that turns any pick into a thumb pick

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

You might be thinking about this: Chris Broderick Pick Clip / Right Handed Black | | Reverb .

Works only with thin to medium 351 picks. Store | Chris Broderick Official Blog

User Info Menu

I have both of those linked. I don't really like either. My thumb isn't as fast as my thumb and forefinger together, and it's harder to control the attack, so I end up always hitting the strings too hard. But it might be just my lack of technique. I do like the strap far more than the pick clip. That just doesn't work nearly as well for me, and it doesn't work well for thicker picks, which I prefer. I invested in both, and use neither. But it's very much subjective, and may work for others. I do think the strap system is more versatile and works better.

User Info Menu

I bought the SharkTooth to make hybrid picking easier (no need to tie up the index finger hanging on to a pick). For fast notes on the same string I use my index and thumb to grip it (entirely possible). I use thumb picks all the time for finger style but I've never found one with the right degree of resistance or solidity to serve as a pick for fast runs - if they stay in place on the thumb there is too much resistance, if I can get the right "feel" for fast runs it's generally to ligh to stay in place..... Some people can do it - I've watched Jerry Donahue use a thumb pick as a notmal pick many times......
    My hybrid picking is still poor (45+ years of ingrained habits) but getting better. ;-)
    Last edited by Ray175; 02-18-2021 at 12:41 PM.

User Info Menu

If you're in that frame of mind, why not just try a regular thumbpick? There seems to be lots of varieties to choose from.

User Info Menu

I've tried those picks (and the strap---one can buy the picks without the strap, and one can use the strap with other picks.)

I found it comfortable, certainly nice for hybrid picking (and thumb picking) but it did not become my main pick.

It doesn't give me quite the angle that I need on the strings. (Perhaps my preferred angle is a bit unorthodox.)

But I keep a few around and strap one on from time to time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    If you're in that frame of mind, why not just try a regular thumbpick? There seems to be lots of varieties to choose from.
    I've absolutely hated every thumbpick I've ever tried. Too loose or too tight, usually too pointy, not my preferred material, etc.

I'm picky (pun intended)

I like the idea of having a pick I already like just magically stick to my thumb.

It probably won't work for me, but these strap things are cheap, so I ordered one. Thanks folks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    ...(Perhaps my preferred angle is a bit unorthodox.)

But I keep a few around and strap one on from time to time.
    Hur! Hur! Hur! I cannot unsee it now. Drats...

I mean, jazz is a very brooooad church.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Hur! Hur! Hur! I cannot unsee it now. Drats...

I mean, jazz is a very brooooad church.

User Info Menu

Here's an odd little contraption I picked up at a NAMM a few years back. I haven't really made a serious effort to adopt it, but it's got some possibilities, might be worth checking out. Pick Slinger

PK

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paulkogut
    Here's an odd little contraption I picked up at a NAMM a few years back. I haven't really made a serious effort to adopt it, but it's got some possibilities, might be worth checking out. Pick Slinger

PK
    Well ain't that kinda cool?

User Info Menu

That looks waaaayy more complicated than a pick needs to be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy;[URL="tel:1100168"
    1100168[/URL]]Strum-n-comfort.
    I’d like to try these out
    but I’m a bit confused by the info presented on the website ....

can anyone help
    which version of the three
    should i order if
    I just want to use it with my usual pick
    which is 3mm big stubby ?

cheers

User Info Menu

Your index finger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    I’d like to try these out
    but I’m a bit confused by the info presented on the website ....

can anyone help
    which version of the three
    should i order if
    I just want to use it with my usual pick
    which is 3mm big stubby ?

cheers
    You can use your own pick with any of them. The main one (Shark Tooth) has much more strap than the Kodiak. It's a question of preference. Hard to know in advance which you would prefer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes;[URL="tel:1101310"
    1101310[/URL]]You can use your own pick with any of them. The main one (Shark Tooth) has much more strap than the Kodiak. It's a question of preference. Hard to know in advance which you would prefer.
    thanks , yes it is difficult to know

which do you like ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    thanks , yes it is difficult to know

which do you like ?
    I prefer the longer strap because it's easier to fine tune the fit....

User Info Menu

thanks
    i might try that