The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’m thinking of learning bass guitar. I already know some trombone and some guitar and some music theory.

I figure guitar + trombone = bass guitar.

Gear wise, though, an amp. I have a DV Micro 50 and a cab with an Eminence 8a beta in it. As long I keep the volume down, I should be ok, shouldn’t I?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It will most certainly be OK ! Don't expect grumbling low notes, just concentrate on learning the ways of the bass - there are quite a few traps to fall into when coming from the guitar.
    I compare it the keyboarder who decides to be an organist one sunny morning .... two different instruments, two distinctly different approaches. An experienced teacher helps and shows you shortcuts.

User Info Menu

you'll be fine...8a beta is rated for 225 watts..a pa mid-bass speaker that can even be used as a bass speaker in the right cab...i.e. vented...

low end is rated down to 78hz. so you wont get floorshaking low E..but seems fine for your needs

cheers

User Info Menu

Go for it!

I play a "medium scale" bass, which is 32"; I find it more comfortable for my hands compared to the standard 34" scale. Try out a few basses before taking the plunge.

And have fun!

A friend describes himself as having Trump-like fingers.
    Last edited by Bach5G; 02-15-2021 at 09:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    I figure guitar + trombone = bass guitar.
    Sounds right.

I almost always plug my bass into an audio interface and play through headphones. I use my bass for recording, and well, practicing bass. A bass in my opinion, unlike electric guitar, sounds great direct with no amp. (I do have a bass amp but seldom use it).

Good bass lessons on youtube. I like Scott's bass lessons.