The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Pat did a concert at the Pollak Theater in NJ in 2019 and was seen sporting a new Ibanez Model (not in production) but looked like something Pat would design or play.
    I have no idea weather Ibanez will put this out in the future, it's the basic 16" design that Pat plays with a CC pickup and an fancy tailpiece. Very Nice!!!

Pat Metheny's New Ibanez????-1_oul1vtjx9ovmrihyy2hpcq-jpeg

Cheers,
    Arnie..

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Any idea what the thing sticking out of the f-hole is? I'm stumped.

User Info Menu

I see you also found the other thread. Seems like a working mans version of the Sisterhood guitar that Slaman built for him that he was gigging when I saw him in 2016. I'm guessing this rubbed Ibanez the wrong way and so they stepped up and made a version of that with their name on the headstock

I suspect it's never going to hit production. I mean, it's not unusual to for Ibanez endorsed artist to have one off guitars that never see the stores. Paul Gilbert has made their custom shop make all sorts of one off guitars for him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I was going to say toothbrush holder, but looking again I see the toothbrush is in the traditional position. Wasn't there a thread about this guitar a while back? I like the electrical tape by the bridge. Pat certainly isn't precious about the look of his guitars is he?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    My guess is an internal mic. He has 2 output jacks—assume one is for that.

User Info Menu

I don't doubt that Ibanez might put that guitar in production in the near future. It would be the the fifth PM model, George Benson has the GB10, GB20, GB30, GB12, GB5, GB100, GBJS, GB200, and newer LGB30 and LGB300. So I don't see it out of the normal for Pat to have a 5th model. An income is an income...

Cheers,
    Arnie...
    Last edited by arnie65; 02-19-2022 at 04:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    My guess is an internal mic. He has 2 output jacks—assume one is for that.
    Indeed .. He's been running an internal mic that he blends with the main output ever since the 80s

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Indeed .. He's been running an internal mic that he blends with the main output ever since the 80s
    I like his sound on old Gibson Es-175.I heard he bought it for $100.

User Info Menu

By coincidence, this weekend I tried out a CC pickup in an Ibanez PM35.

Pat Metheny's New Ibanez????-dsc_0340-jpg

The pickup, from The Creamery in Manchester UK, previously referred to by Rob McKillop (Another Charlie Christian pickup to consider), has been burning a hole in my work bench since I acquired it in August. Originally ordered to fit to a Godin Composer, which had moved on by the time the pandemic-delayed pickup had arrived, I was looking around for a single humbucker archtop on which to fit it, without paying out too much. The PM35 came up on eBay last week and as it was actually NOS - a previously unsold demo model being moved on by the shop owner via eBay - it was a very good price and indeed when it arrived, it was in new condition despite being at least 8 years old.

The pickup swap was easy and thankfully, also easy to reverse, because although the CC installation provided a pleasing jazz tone, I actually preferred the original Ibanez pickup. In fact, I am quite smitten by the PM35 with its stock pickup. I prefer this model to the more recent (but now seemingly discontinued) PM2. It has a larger body (16.5" vs 15.75") and a more subtle finish to the natural maple body. It has more sustain than I have ever experienced on an archtop giving it a more modern vibe than my Eastman AR380. The Ibanez seems to be a keeper whilst the CC pickup may find its way into a future partscaster project.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rahsaan
    I was going to say toothbrush holder, but looking again I see the toothbrush is in the traditional position. Wasn't there a thread about this guitar a while back? I like the electrical tape by the bridge. Pat certainly isn't precious about the look of his guitars is he?
    ...or then he is precious about to give an impression that he is not! Otherwise: why the toothbrush?

I guess that we all are in some way – or another!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I like his sound on old Gibson Es-175.I heard he bought it for $100.
    I agree. Surely at whatever points that ES175 is showing age it could be gently refurbished and continue being used.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I agree. Surely at whatever points that ES175 is showing age it could be gently refurbished and continue being used.
    According to Metheny his 175 was already falling apart at the seams in the late 80s when he decided to work with Ibanez and these days it's just a museum piece

You can sense how battered it is on the old pics

User Info Menu

I like his guitar sound from late 80s onward, which I suppose is the Ibanez and stereo amps.
    Looking at that photo I can see why he wouldn't bother restoring that.
    He has nice new guitars to play!

User Info Menu

And...Ibanez pays him and Gibson didn’t)))

User Info Menu

It’s all gone quiet on the PM25

User Info Menu

I knew Pat back when he lived in Cambridge, before his solo career began. In fact, I took a lesson with him when I was 18. During a gig he played at “Club Zircon“ in Somerville, someone yelled out, “Why the toothbrush?“

Without hesitation, Pat replied, “...promotes good oral hygiene!“

Years later, I talked to Pat about seeing him play at Club Zircon and he said, “I remember- it was three dollars to get in, and people complained about the price!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

"I knew Pat back when he lived in Cambridge, before his solo career began."

I remember seeing him join his brother Mike at "Ryles" in Sommerville ..early 80's--maybe 5 people in the house....off nite...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Off topic: This is something I’m every interested in doing! Does anyone have any recommendations?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gpad
    Off topic: This is something I’m every interested in doing! Does anyone have any recommendations?
    If you want a good acoustic sound from an internal mike, the k&k Trinity gooseneck produces good results should be easy to fit via any pickup cut-outs......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    "I knew Pat back when he lived in Cambridge, before his solo career began."

I remember seeing him join his brother Mike at "Ryles" in Sommerville ..early 80's--maybe 5 people in the house....off nite...
    I also vividly recall seeing him back in 1982 ... on his album cover.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    linda manzer - who was his luthier for many years - said she refretted that guitar so many times that it really needs a new fingerboard before it could be refretted again. she believes a tight, natural (no glue) fret job is the key to great tone.

User Info Menu

I am wondering what is the use of those excellent tonewoods and pickups, also blending acoustic pickup when on many recordings the highs are so extremely cut I could not even distinguish a Stratocaster from a Martin.