• I prefer the Heritage Golden Eagle

12 20.00%
  • I cannot decide

10 16.67%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 49

User Info Menu

Not sure which looks nicer, the Le Grand or the Golden Eagle, both customized with a maple pick guard. The LeGrand with a P90 by Pete Biltoft, the Golden Eagle with a Dommenguet Jazzbucker.

Of course this is depending on individual taste, wifey prefers the Golden Eagle, i myself cannot decide.

What about you?
    Attached Images Attached Images Two natural beauties-img_1034-jpg Two natural beauties-img_1035-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Both look posh! I like the wilder grain on the back of the eagle but the even flames on the grand are also special.

User Info Menu

Finger tailpiece classes up any guitar, in my unimportant opinion.

User Info Menu

Both lovely instruments but I prefer the Legrand. The headstock and tailpiece designs are key differentiators for me.

The maple pickguard replacement on the Legrand is distinctive but I prefer Gibson’s original tortoise shell design.

AKA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA

The maple pickguard replacement on the Legrand is distinctive but I prefer Gibson’s original tortoise shell design.

AKA
    I equipped the electronics on the maple and on the original pickguard with a chinch connector so i could swap them within five minutes when required.

User Info Menu

No contest for me. Anytime I see the heritage headstock I have to look away! I wish I could remove that prejudice from my mind but I just can't shake it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    No contest for me. Anytime I see the heritage headstock I have to look away! I wish I could remove that prejudice from my mind but I just can't shake it.
    Maybe the fact that the Golden Eagle sounds so terrific has changed my original prejudice und i became more tolerant. Actually at this point i can even see elegance in it ;-)

User Info Menu

I like them both and I have no problem with the Heritage headstock. I prefer the woods used on the Gibson, but not enough to choose it over the Heritage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    I equipped the electronics on the maple and on the original pickguard with a chinch connector so i could swap them within five minutes when required.
    Nice!

User Info Menu

Maybe the fact that the Golden Eagle sounds so terrific has changed my original prejudice und i became more tolerant. Actually at this point i can even see elegance in it ;-)
    That's really the best reason anyone needs. That's what it's supposed to be about.

User Info Menu

I would be bursting with pride to own either, let alone both! And that Twin Reverb is the icing on the cake! May you live long and enjoy both of these (and many others) pinnacles of the luthier's art.

User Info Menu

Yeah, if I was stranded in a canoe I would prefer the Heritage. Just kidding. Both are gorgeouso!

User Info Menu

They both are fantastic blonds but realistically the Heritage is much less money so possibly a better deal depending on what the Legrands are fetching. Given you wife likes the Golden Eagle might be quite telling. I say this because my late wife never played the guitar but always said my 49 D'angelico has the best sound. I ask her what about it made is seem better and she said............well all the notes are just..........even and I can hear the melodies easier.

Good day in Illinois would be to have those 2 blonds to sit and play, given the high temperature for today is 5 degrees and going to -8 tonight.

User Info Menu

Beautiful pair. I happen to know how good that Golden Eagle really is - and it makes sense why your wife likes it. It’s a real good one.

Glad to see your still enjoying the guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I like the Gibson, except for the metal saddle. What's up with that on an acoustic archtop?

User Info Menu

For the record, I'm extremely uncomfortable with evaluating a musical instrument solely on appearance. Surely, jazz is a very stylish music, so appearance cannot be entirely ignored, however ignoring tone and playability is a dangerous path. We may as well be talking about endtables.

I voted for the Heritage because they've preserved the Epiphone cloud inlays. It is my hope that this is a clue to the tone of the instrument. Maybe they're trying to tell us they've tried to incorporate the even more classic Epiphone midrange bark. I'd love to play both.

User Info Menu

It's all good, looks like a Citation with the wood pickguard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny

lol, the infamous Heritage headstock strikes again!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bebop Tom
    I like the Gibson, except for the metal saddle. What's up with that on an acoustic archtop?
    Intonation.

One can soften the "ping" sound of the metal bridge with the tun-o-matic with rubbery bridge pieces (I forget what they're actually made of). Then you can have your cake and eat it too. I really wish wood bridges would intonate better.

User Info Menu

That Heritage headstock is going on me. Remember no more Gibson archtop tops.......so some wealthy dud step in and make Heritage the successor.....I would but the deacon is not managing Hedge Fund’s

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bebop Tom
    It was factory equipped with this saddle and i didn't feel it necessary to replace it as it sounds great anyways. If i ever find some spare time i might experiment with a wooden saddle .....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk1701
    For the record, I'm extremely uncomfortable with evaluating a musical instrument solely on appearance. Surely, jazz is a very stylish music, so appearance cannot be entirely ignored, however ignoring tone and playability is a dangerous path. We may as well be talking about endtables.

I voted for the Heritage because they've preserved the Epiphone cloud inlays. It is my hope that this is a clue to the tone of the instrument. Maybe they're trying to tell us they've tried to incorporate the even more classic Epiphone midrange bark. I'd love to play both.
    I didn't intend asking anyone to evaluate them, was just wondering which of them looks more appealing to others :-).
    Evaluating most other qualities is something which can only be done effectively when playing the guitar and actually feeling how it responds to one's own touch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Oh look- Another of those I hate Heritage headstocks threads. What a waste of humanity.
    So why do you not just refrain from wasting your own energy by posting into such a thread?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Intonation.

One can soften the "ping" sound of the metal bridge with the tun-o-matic with rubbery bridge pieces (I forget what they're actually made of). Then you can have your cake and eat it too. I really wish wood bridges would intonate better.
    I think they were initially made of nylon, probably still are. Actually i do have a bridge on a L7 equipped with those, maybe i should swap them to check what the difference would be, but the LeGrand sound "good enough" with the metal inserts ;-).

User Info Menu

Wow, stunning. Is that a single coil pickup on your Gibson? That must sound really nice. What do you have wrapped around the strings between bridge and tailpiece and what is it's benefit?