The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 79

User Info Menu

I really enjoyed all the photos and comments!
    Thanks friends!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

are nylon string headstocks allowed?

Visual Appearances of Headstocks-2398ca36-870b-4709-942a-1f08045528ac-jpeg

Visual Appearances of Headstocks-c3c438a4-a41b-4d9d-a0fc-a2979bbe4f1c-jpg

User Info Menu

From the "less is more" crowd is the Steinberger. I used one as a travel guitar. Works well and no neck dive.

Visual Appearances of Headstocks-new-white-steinberger-spirit-headless-electric-jpgVisual Appearances of Headstocks-s-l300-jpg

User Info Menu

From the "more is more" perspective.

Visual Appearances of Headstocks-dscf0459-jpgVisual Appearances of Headstocks-dscf0417-jpgVisual Appearances of Headstocks-e-cent-back-jpgVisual Appearances of Headstocks-dscf0380-jpgVisual Appearances of Headstocks-dscf0386-jpg

User Info Menu

Visual Appearances of Headstocks-screenshot_20210214-153951__01__01-jpg

Yamaoka guitars

User Info Menu

Visual Appearances of Headstocks-screenshot_20210214-153808-jpg

Bozo

User Info Menu

Attachment 79240
    Frameworks guitar.

User Info Menu

Stand back, please:
    Visual Appearances of Headstocks-peghead-back-jpg

C'mon, give the maestro some room, he came all the way from Japan:

Visual Appearances of Headstocks-peghead-top-jpg

Shiro Tsuji. The guitar is a masterwork and he doesn't even put his name on the peghead!

User Info Menu

Those inlays (the second Hofner) would help me remember which string I'm changing.

User Info Menu

I definitely prefer to see straight-ish string pull or at least not to see the string behind (almost) coming imto contact with the peg in front.

So, Heritage it is all the way. Except the Eagle Centurion, which was obviously designed by Terry Gilliam.

User Info Menu

It's cheap, made in china, but I really like this headstock.
    Attached Images Attached Images Visual Appearances of Headstocks-20210215_123146-jpg 

User Info Menu

Two Slingerlands and a Gibson Les Paul Artisan.

1930s sunburst Songster:
    Visual Appearances of Headstocks-songster_headstock500x667-jpg

1930s blonde Songster:
    Visual Appearances of Headstocks-songster_headstock_blonde500x667-jpg

1978 Les Paul Artisan, sunburst with 3 pickups. I think it weighs 50 pounds, half of that comes from all that mother of pearl.
    Visual Appearances of Headstocks-artistan_headstock500x667-jpg

User Info Menu

Does anyone else see the flying spaghetti monster in the Hofner headstock?
    Visual Appearances of Headstocks-fsm_headstock600x245-jpg

User Info Menu

I am So Happy to see all the examples that you've all collectively shared! I really feel
    a lot of artistry is exhibited in headstocks! And looking closely at at the variety we see
    in this thread, I am often finding it hard to be honest with myself in studying JUST the
    shape of the headstock, sans all the inlay work, sans depth of some designs, sans colors
    of the wood, sans non-wood veneers, and so on, and so on!
    I offer another headstock that I really LOVE in the below photo. I feel it's a "fancied up"
    Stratocaster type, so to speak. But again, a big part of its attractive "look", is that there are
    two depths to the surface of the headstock, so it's NOT just the shape of the outer edge.
    Now I confess that I really do NOT care for the shape of the guitar that this headstock is
    typically associated with, the Gibson NON-REVERSE Firebird. Further, I don't really care for
    the REVERSE Firebird either, so, I actually can't immediately think of a guitar body shape
    that I feel this headstock works correctly with. And I Love it nonetheless!
    Google Image Result for https://64.media.tumblr.com/2fd2386dd4335a64517ff4a9c1235ed7/tumblr_o2vgvnek7z1ul6an2o1_1280.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Visual Appearances of Headstocks-gibsonfirebird-nonrev-headstock-png 

User Info Menu

Visual Appearances of Headstocks-lute-headstock-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Visual Appearances of Headstocks-lute-headstock-jpg
    OK you win!

Looks like a Dr. Seuss version of a stringed instrument.

User Info Menu

OK it's not too complicated or elaborate, but for a clean midcentury look it's hard to beat this Harmony headstock. How many headstocks have you seen in Walnut?

Visual Appearances of Headstocks-harmony-jpg

User Info Menu

Mine (I'm prejudiced). Quite understated compared to the other amazing examples here (I hate doing inlay)
    Visual Appearances of Headstocks-archtop-headstock-jpg

User Info Menu

These are all really cool examples. It occurs to me that trends in headstocks seem to mirror trends in furniture styling. Not surprising I guess.

If so, sleek midcentury designs like Fender and the Gibson Firebird and my Harmony should be top of the charts.

I like/love that Gretsch White Falcon, but can't see myself ever getting or playing one. It's the Elvis of guitar headstocks for sure!

User Info Menu

Not a fan of ornate guitars. Minimalist, me.

Ken Parker archtop:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson
    Those inlays (the second Hofner) would help me remember which string I'm changing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Boy
    Mine (I'm prejudiced). Quite understated compared to the other amazing examples here (I hate doing inlay)
    Visual Appearances of Headstocks-archtop-headstock-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    From the "more is more" perspective.

Visual Appearances of Headstocks-dscf0459-jpgVisual Appearances of Headstocks-dscf0417-jpgVisual Appearances of Headstocks-e-cent-back-jpgVisual Appearances of Headstocks-dscf0380-jpgVisual Appearances of Headstocks-dscf0386-jpg
    Now that's a Heritage headstock that I like! However, usually when I'm looking at a Heritage I am paying very little attention to the headstock and my eye is drawn to the typically glorious sunburst that they do. Other than maybe Jimmy D'Aquisto, I don't know that anyone in guitar making consistently does such a beautiful bursts.

User Info Menu

I think the Gibson flying V is a piece of symmetrical beauty.

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/752450

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Now that's a Heritage headstock that I like! However, usually when I'm looking at a Heritage I am paying very little attention to the headstock and my eye is drawn to the typically glorious sunburst that they do. Other than maybe Jimmy D'Aquisto, I don't know that anyone in guitar making consistently does such a beautiful bursts.
    Agreed, as a matter of fact, the rare times I see a nice burst on a Gibson I think someone from Heritage must have been invited to spray some in a teaching clinic at Gibson :-)