Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 79

User Info Menu

I must say that every time I see a Guild Artist Award Headstock,
    I think to myself that it's my favorite shape. I'm referring to it's out-
    ter edge, as inlay work is a separate matter again. Do you all have
    a favorite headstock shape?
    Attached Images Attached Images Visual Appearances of Headstocks-guild-artawa-png 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

og d'angelico

cheers

User Info Menu

My guess is they took the inspiration here but different. Guild guitars very good ones for sure.
    Visual Appearances of Headstocks-daheadstock1-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Oh, yeah, I have strong feelings about a lot of headstock shapes. The three mentioned above I like, as well as the classic Gibson open book shape. Jimmy D'Aquisto's later modernist headstocks were also really interesting and the simplified aesthetic of those instruments overall really appealed to me.

I like the Fender Telecaster shape a lot. The simplicity of the Martin headstock also appeals to me; along those lines, the headstock on Peter Bernstein's Zeidler is also something I like: it's simple and yet has an unfussy boldness to it. Geez, I sound like a wine snob. Well, why the hell not? I guess I'm a headstock snob! I also like Rick Turner's headstock that is all straight lines on the Model 1 and the Renaissance instruments.

There are a lot of boutique jazz guitarist who is headstock shapes I don't care for; chief among those is Heritage and Paul Reed Smith.

User Info Menu

I like all of those so far, especially D’Angelicos. This is another favorite.

User Info Menu

For me D'Angelico, Gibson, Guild and Epiphone headstocks (in that order) all work as functional art. I like Fender and Martin headstocks for their simplicity and utility.

User Info Menu

and classic understated

User Info Menu

Visual Appearances of Headstocks-bob-benedetto-sketches-relief-carvings-headstock-45th-anniversary-cremona-april-2011-jpgVisual Appearances of Headstocks-benedetto-45th-anniversary-cremona-s2129gp-rear-headstock-carvings-photo-mike-oria-2013-jpgVisual Appearances of Headstocks-benedetto-45th-anniversary-cremona-serial-s2129gp-headstock-closeup-photo-stephanie-ward-jpg

User Info Menu

Visual Appearances of Headstocks-alhs-jpg

User Info Menu

Visual Appearances of Headstocks-images-1-jpgVisual Appearances of Headstocks-images-jpg

User Info Menu

There are some crazy Gibson ones out there on Pinterist but I don't want to pay them. I agree with the Guild and especially D'Angelico.

User Info Menu

Visual Appearances of Headstocks-spring_711x563-jpgVisual Appearances of Headstocks-radiocityheadstocks_711x563-jpgVisual Appearances of Headstocks-superchiefhead_711x563-jpg

User Info Menu

A little palate cleanser is in order at this point.
    Attached Images Attached Images Visual Appearances of Headstocks-img_1982-jpg 

User Info Menu

^ hah, hammertone...and here i was expectin'

cheers

ps- perhaps the absinthe of headstocks!
    Last edited by neatomic; 02-11-2021 at 09:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Heritage of course

User Info Menu

While we are at it, let’s not forget this one!

User Info Menu

Visual Appearances of Headstocks-citation-csb-headstock-jpg

Visual Appearances of Headstocks-borys-34-jpg

Visual Appearances of Headstocks-dangelico-copy-headstock-jpg

Visual Appearances of Headstocks-falcon-single-headstock-jpg

Danny W.

User Info Menu

I appreciate everyone's responses and pictures!
    A fun thread we've got here!

User Info Menu

Works of art all.

I have a special place in my heart for the New Yorker with the finial.

User Info Menu

below; purple heart overlay, non engraved parts....

I remember John Zeidler conceiving and executing this design, one of only a few guitars he made w/this tortoise overlay and ornate hand engraved tuners, his top of the line Jazz Deluxe Special [see top pics]. I couldn't believe how incredible a guitar it was when he invited me over to check out and play the finished product [though I shouldn't have been surprised, a close friend for many yrs] he also made 3 or 4 like this with purple heart overlay w/out the engraved tuners [same guitar w out the bling, like those best, John did too, as in pic above, still have mine]. Specials had extensive engraved parts front to back on every surface including tailpiece, tuner mounting plates, he even made the custom matching tortoise nipples on the tips of the tuners as well as the tips of the shafts [looks like the G nipple on this one got knocked off, hah]
    there's much more than the photos show, do yourself a favor and blow up the pics, the detail is beyond incredible, even the tops of all the screws are engraved, not to mention he custom made the string posts that protrude in equal length from the front of the headstock to compensate for his tapered thickness peghead and engraved the tops of the shafts [look closely!] just brilliant attention to detail.
    His hand cut and engraved pearl headstock banner inlay is still the finest I've seen to this day, you just can't tell the detail from these pics. speaking of which, if ya squint, you might see the ultra thin multiply binding, more precise than you've ever imagined, whew, he was a true master builder!
    Last edited by wintermoon; 02-12-2021 at 03:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    ^ hah, hammertone...and here i was expectin'

cheers
    ps- perhaps the absinthe of headstocks!
    Back to the whipped cream! More like this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images Visual Appearances of Headstocks-hof-committee-2034_8761-jpg 

User Info Menu

Someone (sarcastically ?) mentionned it
    I have to show it
    The only one that might be prettier is the same with an eagle !
    Visual Appearances of Headstocks-img_4285-jpg
    Period.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Well, not a guitar - it's my KoAloha KTM-25 Tenor Ukulele - but what a cool headstock!
    Visual Appearances of Headstocks-ktm-25-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paul s.
    Heritage of course
    Uh-oh, here we go again....