The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What pickup would you prefer on a "jazz" Tele?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single coil

79 56.03%
  • Humbuckering

48 34.04%
  • Other (please explain)

14 9.93%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 129

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickWD
    I hate hum and noise, so when i had a local luthier build me a custom telecaster i wanted a neck humbucker. I also didn't want something too fat sounding since i didn't want a muddy sound. I find it's often easier to fatten a sound than get rid of muddiness.
    So my luthier reccomended a humbucker from Amber pickups called "spirit of 59" that has aged alnico 5 magnets. It is very clear sounding, but still has enough fatness. And theres no noise. I have a tele single-coil bridge pickup in it, but i rarely use that on it's own. When i use both the humbucker and the single-coil together it sound almost "Gretch like" for some reason.

Here is a clip when i use my tele with Amber spirit of 59 with a Morgan pr12 amp head into a Two Notes Captor for IR speaker emultation.
    I'm really happy with the way it sounds.

Very nice arrangement of FMTTM! Well done!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A real good

What type of neck pickup would you prefer on a "jazz" Tele?-ceb9d64c-2778-4b6d-9fcc-7d717d857946-jpeg

User Info Menu

Of course diversify your teles. Don't put humbuckers on all of your teles. Put single coils on some of them, and humbuckers on others.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Of course diversify your teles. Don't put humbuckers on all of your teles. Put single coils on some of them, and humbuckers on others.
    Has anyone here stuck two "neck" pickups on one Tele? Like a humbucker and a single coil right next to each other?

User Info Menu

If you get a 21 fret neck, there is actually room to put an extra single coil pickup flush to the neck.

User Info Menu

Talk about Tele sacrilege, two neck pickups and no bridge pickup.
    One of them PAF.

User Info Menu

A Telly needs everything but a Humbucker. Wait...to me no guitar needs a Humbucker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Has anyone here stuck two "neck" pickups on one Tele? Like a humbucker and a single coil right next to each other?
    Like Seymour Duncan P-rails maybe?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Like Seymour Duncan P-rails maybe?

mmmaybe. I think of that as a compromise pickup. Compare it to your favourite humbucker plus your favourite single coil.

User Info Menu

It's a truism that everyone's tastes are different. This thread certainly proves it !

And, for the record, I voted:

What type of neck pickup would you prefer on a "jazz" Tele?-humbuckers-baby-jpg

I've owned multiple guitars with P90s and Fender single coils, but I've never heard anything that can touch a good humbucker. IMO, sonically, they are the creme de la creme of pickups and, in addition, noiseless. What's not to like? Right now I have one electric left with single coils , that I keep just to say that I have a P90 guitar, but if I had to sell one, that would be the one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darkwaters
    It's a truism that everyone's tastes are different. This thread certainly proves it !

And, for the record, I voted:

What type of neck pickup would you prefer on a "jazz" Tele?-humbuckers-baby-jpg

I've owned multiple guitars with P90s and Fender single coils, but I've never heard anything that can touch a good humbucker. IMO, sonically, they are the creme de la creme of pickups and, in addition, noiseless. What's not to like? Right now I have one electric left with single coils , that I keep just to say that I have a P90 guitar, but if I had to sell one, that would be the one.
    That‘s a good thing. Diversity rules.
    Personally the only Humbucker I‘m able to play is a good Filtertron, but nothing beats the sonic integrity of a good Singlecoil. To my ears and my playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    A friend of mine is a fantastic (and semi-well known) luthier; he always recommends a tele or other single coil pickup for his jazz guitars, but guitarists typically reply, "Huh? I need a humbucker for jazz!"
    The archtop Johnny Mac plays in the Dexter Gordon movie appeared to be an archtop with a Telecaster neck pick up. I think that is an interesting idea that I would like to try.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by curbucci
    Has anyone tried the noiseless Wilde tele pickups or the twin blade?

Noisefree T Neck – Bill and Becky Wilde Pickups

L-48TL – Bill and Becky Wilde Pickups
    I have the L280TN pickup in two guitars and like it a lot. It is dead silent in regard to hum. It's a bit airier, clearer than a traditional Tele neck pickup. I also have the Strat version of that pickup in my Stratocaster; the tone, to my ears, seems closer to a polite P90 than to a Strat or Telecaster neck pickup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    The archtop Johnny Mac plays in the Dexter Gordon movie appeared to be an archtop with a Telecaster neck pick up. I think that is an interesting idea that I would like to try.
    You are right! 3:34:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    This
    Best of both worlds - humbucking power but with clarity of a single coil.
    Just to add - the white ash Tele above started with a SD Alnico II Pro tele pick-up, then a SD Seth Lover, then a Biltoft CC Rider, then finally a SD Mini-bucker (pictured). None were bad.
    I wanted a bit more drive than the traditional Tele neck pup
    The Seth Lover was a bit to dark and fat.
    The CC was a bitter fatter than the SD Tele but didn't do it for me.
    The SD Minucker was the best of all worlds. Power and clarity. No hum.

User Info Menu

Just to add - the white ash Tele above started with a SD Alnico II Pro tele pick-up, then a SD Seth Lover, then a Biltoft CC Rider, then finally a SD Mini-bucker (pictured). None were bad.
    I think Country/Session guitarist Brent Mason use the same minihumbucker in his guitar. He gets a great sound on his few jazz tunes.

User Info Menu

Wouldn't you want something less scooped and more mid-range heavy in the neck?

User Info Menu

Great looking tele. I am trying to live with my single coil in the neck, as I do like the clarity, but I had a SD minibucker in the neck of an old tele I previously sold and I loved it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    I notice SD has a couple minihumbuckers. If you believe their EQ diagrams, the one with the most mids is the "Custom", which is the hottest, I think -- hotter pups usually have more mids. If it's not hitting your amp too hard, that could work out well.

User Info Menu

I‘ve done a hot rod wiring on the Neckpickup of my Thinline, bypassing the tonecontrol. Sounds fantastic. A lot more transparency, overtones to die for and the pickup reproduces the tiniest nuances.

You need a very dynamic right hand to tame this raw beast. But the tone is worth it.

User Info Menu

I've been away but you still draw me back!

Teles and neck pickups is a subject that will run and run and......

So I voted 'other'.

Let me explain, single coil pickup with a 4 way switch. Choice of series or parallel for both pickups, so in essence traditional or faux humbucker twin pickup selection.

So the question is, what single coil?
    For me its a Vintage Vibe CC Rider in a humbucker size. Larger coil area and AlNiCo II magnets, nice.

So that would be that until I tried a G&L Tribute ASAT Bluesboy with a rather nice AlNiCo V and that awe inspiring tele sized MFD bridge pickup. I love that humbucker but the bridge was quite microphonic.

So what to do....

Dipped in wax.

Better.

But the pots were 250k which is too dark for the humbucker.

So what to do.....

Split pots, 250k and 500k in one, two pots and seperate caps and treble bleed caps and it is hitting far above its weight.

Telecasters, the modders delight.

Every guitar player must have one, its the law, didn't you know?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dlew919
    Here’s Tim Lerch’s take.
    Wow. This Tim Lerch is terrific. I was not at all familiar with him.
    He has tons of great material out there.

Thanks for sharing this!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    I like a clearer tone. Think Johnny Smith and not Wes Montgomery. I can add mids galore with my amp if I so choose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff
    I‘ve done a hot rod wiring on the Neckpickup of my Thinline, bypassing the tonecontrol. Sounds fantastic. A lot more transparency, overtones to die for and the pickup reproduces the tiniest nuances.

You need a very dynamic right hand to tame this raw beast. But the tone is worth it.
    For a few years starting in 1997 the Fender American Standard Telecaster included the “Delta Tone” system, which basically includes a no-load pot and a hot-wound bridge pickup. The no-load pot is bypassed at full rotation. Back it off slightly and it’s back in the circuit, like a normal pot set to 10. You can install the pot in any Telecaster and have the no-load capability without adding any other switches or circuitry. The part is still available and an easy non-invasive mod.

250K No Load Solid Shaft Potentiometer | Fender Parts

When the volume pot is at maximum, I prefer the tone with the tone pot in the circuit (not bypassed). Based on a bit of googling, I think that’s because a Fender pickup without the 250K ohm load across is has a resonance peak centered around 4000 Hz. The 250K pot flattens that peak.

But I usually play with the volume pot rolled back a bit, and operating that way I don’t hear so much of a difference between the no-load tone pot engaged vs. disengaged. Telecaster pickups were designed to have some resistance across them, and I feel that’s how they sound best, but the no-load pot does no harm and it does give you the option of a little more treble.
    Last edited by KirkP; 03-02-2021 at 02:18 PM.

User Info Menu

I would want a Firebird neck pickup for jazz. It’s brighter than a normal humbucker and gives more clarity from string to string.