View Poll Results: What pickup would you prefer on a "jazz" Tele?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single coil

49 55.68%
  • Humbuckering

29 32.95%
  • Other (please explain)

10 11.36%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 101 to 108 of 108

User Info Menu

You know what would probably sound awesome in tele neck position? A johnny smith. I emailed Lollar once to ask if they'd do a custom johnny smith that I could mount in a mini humbucker ring and they said yes. I just don't have a husk for it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lollar Charlie Christian sounds pretty darned good on a T-type.

What type of neck pickup would you prefer on a "jazz" Tele?-lillycaster-body-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images What type of neck pickup would you prefer on a "jazz" Tele?-lillycaster-body-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos View Post
    You know what would probably sound awesome in tele neck position? A johnny smith. I emailed Lollar once to ask if they'd do a custom johnny smith that I could mount in a mini humbucker ring and they said yes. I just don't have a husk for it.
    That’s an interesting idea. I have a couple of bridge position original GJS pickups around. They would probably be easy to mod. I might try it if I have the right recipient. If anyone else would like to try it with one of them, let me know.

User Info Menu

I really like a P90 in the neck on my Tele - for any style of music, but it's a great jazz sound to my ears.

User Info Menu

I've toyed around with the idea of putting a mini-humbucker in my Tele and talked to my luthier about this - he cautioned me : if I combine a humbucker with a normal single coil (I'd leave the original pup in the bridge) I'll have "problems" with the pot (and resistor cap)-values and their reactance with the different types of pickup when I switch to the middle position. If I'd only use the neck pup exclusively it would be ok to match the circuit to THIS one pup but it would not be the adequate choice for both. How do you guys solve this ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman View Post
    I've toyed around with the idea of putting a mini-humbucker in my Tele and talked to my luthier about this - he cautioned me : if I combine a humbucker with a normal single coil (I'd leave the original pup in the bridge) I'll have "problems" with the pot (and resistor cap)-values and their reactance with the different types of pickup when I switch to the middle position. If I'd only use the neck pup exclusively it would be ok to match the circuit to THIS one pup but it would not be the adequate choice for both. How do you guys solve this ?

I don't know what pots are in the Fender Hot Rod Tele, but they came stock with a mini-humbucker and a single coil in the bridge. They sounded amazing as well. Might want to see if you can dig up the specs on what they used?

User Info Menu

It's been done many times , I know - John Suhr also offers this combination and many others too. Since a humbucker wants to "see" a different pot-resistance than an single coil there has to be some electrical trickery involved in order to have both pickups work/sound like we want them to sound. Guess a letter to John Suhr will solve this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman View Post
    It's been done many times , I know - John Suhr also offers this combination and many others too. Since a humbucker wants to "see" a different pot-resistance than an single coil there has to be some electrical trickery involved in order to have both pickups work/sound like we want them to sound. Guess a letter to John Suhr will solve this.
    I posted this in another discussion thread -

For what it's worth, Fender sells a volume pot for just such a situation; it has both 500k and 250k on a dual-ganged pot, and might be a good idea for those who use a humbucking neck pickup:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/0990847000--fender-dual-500k-250k-split-shaft-potentiometer

This will solve your problem at minimal cost and without any trouble.