The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What pickup would you prefer on a "jazz" Tele?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single coil

79 56.03%
  • Humbuckering

48 34.04%
  • Other (please explain)

14 9.93%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 129

User Info Menu

Rail humbucker.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think it depends on how the Tele fits into the person's music. I have nice archtops with humbuckers and single-coils. So when i bought a Tele, I wanted it to BE a Tele. I didn't want it to sound like something else.

BUT... if someone already plays a Tele, loves the feel, loves the touch--and there is a lot to love there!--but has decided they want to play some jazz and so they want a bit more of a traditional jazz tone, i can see how they'd think a humbucker could be the right choice. I'd still encourage them to try to see how far they can get with the regular Tele pickup, though. These guitars and pickups all have a kind of "gestalt" that I like to work with.

I would encourage anyone that jazz can be played wonderfully on a stock Telecaster type guitar. Going to heavier, flat wound strings will bring you much closer than changing the pickup.

User Info Menu

I’ve got a MIM FSR Tele. I’d like to try the Nocaster pickup (just need the neck pickup) but the cheap crappy ceramic that came with it sounds so good.

User Info Menu

Duncan Phat Cat works great for me in this solid Korina G&L Bluesboy. It's like a noiseless P90.

User Info Menu

Has anyone tried the noiseless Wilde tele pickups or the twin blade?

Noisefree T Neck – Bill and Becky Wilde Pickups

L-48TL – Bill and Becky Wilde Pickups

User Info Menu

In my opinion, putting a humbucker on a Telecaster is sacrilege.

But I'm sacrilegious. My latest Tele acquisition is a Modern Player Short Scale Tele, and it only comes with one humbucker and one single coil. Practicality overcame dogma, in this case.

User Info Menu

Humbucking P-90 design.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Humbucking P-90 design.
    That’s a confusing answer. P90s are single coil.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I'm asking because on the Telecaster forum there's a fellow who wants to make a "jazz" Tele for his son, and the father doesn't know anything about guitars and the son is just starting out.
    I’d tell Pop to have his son listen to recordings of several jazz players who use Telecasters, choose his favorite tone, and go with whatever pickup they use. My vote would be Ed Bickert, but I’ve read he started with a single coil and switched to a Gibson PAF in 1978. His tone was great with both.

User Info Menu

Just stop thinking about this. Take your Tele and turn the tone down some on whatever you have in there, and play.

I tried everything from a vintage Tele single coil to a Benedetto B6 in the neck position.

In the end, it does not matter.

Turn the tone down as needed and start playing.

I currently have a SD Quarter Pounder (fat single coil) in there and it sound perfectly fine.

But so does everything else.

EDIT: But I understand that “thinking about this” is the whole idea of a forum. It is just that the strings, pick, and player matter so much on a plank used for jazz. The PU seems almost immaterial. Love my basic Tele with who-cares-what PU in there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bezoeker
    Just stop thinking about this. Take your Tele and turn the tone down some on whatever you have in there, and play.

I tried everything from a vintage Tele single coil to a Benedetto B6 in the neck position.

I currently have a SD Quarter Pounder (fat single coil) in there and it sound perfectly fine.

EDIT: But I understand that “thinking about this” is the whole idea of a forum. It is just that the strings, pick, and player matter so much on a plank used for jazz. The PU seems almost immaterial. Love my basic Tele with who-cares-what PU in there.
    This really is the best post in this thread, the "answer", IMO.

User Info Menu

The scenario is building a Tele, so there is no "there" there, to begin with. You have to choose.

User Info Menu

I voted single coil, and yet I do have a Schecter Tele with 2 humbuckers. Eventually will swap them out for different humbuckers that are less muddy. The partscaster I built has a Fender Noiseless in the neck, and I also like P90's. Might have to build a Thinline Tele with those...hmmmm.....

User Info Menu

Based on experience, I think the SD ‘59 works extremely well as a tele neck pup for jazz. I am currently building a T with a CC in the neck and their BS bridge... a la Tim Lerch. Never had luck with traditional Tele neck pups getting my tone. Others swear by them... just preference. Good luck with your search.

User Info Menu

I agree with Cunumara's suggestion of stacked humbuckers. I have JBLs in the middle and neck positions of my 1986 Charvel Model 4 and in the neck position a great jazz sound is readily accessible, but I also think P90s would be great

User Info Menu

The scenario is building a Tele, so there is no "there" there, to begin with. You have to choose.
    I definitely get the scenario.

So sure, plop a Benedetto B6 in there.

But since this raises the more general question while we are on the subject - just turn down the tone, get a fatter pick, maybe some serious strings, and start practicing.

But thanks for the reminder that the discussion is really about starting from scratch.

User Info Menu

I definitely get the scenario.

So sure, plop a Benedetto B6 in there.

But since this raises the more general question while we are on the subject - just turn down the tone, get a fatter pick, maybe some serious strings, and start practicing.

But thanks for the reminder that the discussion is really about starting from scratch.
    I agree with you! On TDPRI, the guy who is building a guitar is somewhat hamstrung because, while he knows CNC, he's not a guitarist. He was asking all sorts of questions like why is there fret radius...

User Info Menu

I agree with you! On TDPRI, the guy who is building a guitar is somewhat hamstrung because, while he knows CNC, he's not a guitarist. He was asking all sorts of questions like why is there fret radius...
    Hi BDHL,

In my view there is absolutely nothing better that someone coming from NO EXPERIENCE and trying to make guitar music happen.

They will ask the questions that need asking - especially the ones that we all think we know the answers to, but really do not

User Info Menu

Why is there FB radius is a great question.

And my overused lumpy knuckles can answer that as I try to barre a chord.

And “why are there wound strings” is great too.

Nothing is better than a new person shaking it up with questions.

User Info Menu

New views on old questions expose the difference between the lame comment “everything matters” vs. the more useful “each thing matters, and here is how and why”.

User Info Menu

Which neck PU for jazz on a Tele might be the perfect question.

In the end, you can get the job done every bit as well on a thin and weedy vintage single coil and a mega-fat Benedetto B6.

But actually experiencing this shows you all sorts of usable info along the way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    The hidden (unknown) talent in this world oftentimes makes me smile the most. Loved that. Fantastic. Looked him up.

Jarmo Hynninen - Guitarist in Vantaa, Finland
    That is simply lovely- thank you!

I've got a somewhat weird recommendation; Wilkinson 60's WVT. They are alnico 5, and can be bought new for about 40 eu a pair. I got a pair for my partscaster. I wanted something cheap just to be able to complete the guitar, that had alnicos instead of ceramics. Initially I was a bit dissapointed with them. They are described as 60s sounding pickups, which usually means they got a bit more bite to them, and is best suited for blues and rock tones. That's not how I experience them at all. Even with both volume and tone all the way up, they sound pretty dark. Not what I was going for with this build.

However, after spending some time with them I'm actually begining to think that they might be really good jazz pickups. If you're into that classic, dark jazz tone, but with a single coil flavour, they might be the perfect match for you. I prefer a clearer, more modern tone, so they are still not for me, but I definitively see how they could serve a purpose. I'm hoping to be able to make a demo of them within a few weeks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    Hum Debugger works great; my only complaint is that it requires a unique wall wart so you can't use the power supply on your board.
    I have a voodoo labs pedal power +2 and I have the hum debugger plugged into the courtesy outlet. It Is just perfect!

I actually just finished putting together my pedal board. Hum debugger, polytune 3 with buffer on, then my pedals (in some flux at moment) ending with Strymon Flint. Good stuff....

User Info Menu

I hate hum and noise, so when i had a local luthier build me a custom telecaster i wanted a neck humbucker. I also didn't want something too fat sounding since i didn't want a muddy sound. I find it's often easier to fatten a sound than get rid of muddiness.
    So my luthier reccomended a humbucker from Amber pickups called "spirit of 59" that has aged alnico 5 magnets. It is very clear sounding, but still has enough fatness. And theres no noise. I have a tele single-coil bridge pickup in it, but i rarely use that on it's own. When i use both the humbucker and the single-coil together it sound almost "Gretch like" for some reason.

Here is a clip when i use my tele with Amber spirit of 59 with a Morgan pr12 amp head into a Two Notes Captor for IR speaker emultation.
    I'm really happy with the way it sounds.