The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

I’m looking at a used Gibson l5 Wes Montgomery. I know the serial numbers are usually engrained in the Wood. The one I am looking at has a plate on top with the number... can someone explain this? Here’s a photo. I’m trying to determine authenticity...any guys who are knowledgeable in this field?
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson l-5 Wes Montgomery-b33eaf3f-985a-4fad-80ea-1d879748290f-jpeg Gibson l-5 Wes Montgomery-9a04f8e4-9098-48f5-a547-90cd986ce833-jpeg Gibson l-5 Wes Montgomery-13804bfc-2d38-46d9-963e-552a06500413-jpeg 
    Last edited by IndalecioGuitar87; 02-16-2021 at 12:24 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The inside label looks legit. Here’s the one inside my 2006 L5CES:

Gibson l-5 Wes Montgomery-208de4d7-b219-4234-bad4-7c211b9fa914-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    The inside label looks legit. Here’s the one inside my 2006 L5CES:

Gibson l-5 Wes Montgomery-208de4d7-b219-4234-bad4-7c211b9fa914-jpg
    any idea why the headstock number is like that? I’m inexperienced in the high end guitar game and don’t trust most people lol

User Info Menu

No, I can’t explain that. Sorry.

User Info Menu

No, I can’t explain that. Sorry.
    seems odd to me, but like I said I’m not super experienced in this kind of thing and I haven’t played the instrument yet either. See what others say. Label does seem legit though, thanks.

User Info Menu

I’m just speculating here, but it could be due to the guitar having a factory neck replacement. Again, this is only my speculation.

User Info Menu

Contact Gibson Customer Support. The serial number plate on the headstock is unusual.

Gibson | Contact Support

Contact

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Contact Gibson Customer Support. The serial number plate on the headstock is unusual.

Gibson | Contact Support

Contact
    thanks, I just did.

User Info Menu

Now I’m curious. Did you get a response? What did you learn?

User Info Menu

Carter Vintage Guitars in Nashville may be able to help if Gibson can't/doesn't. (Carter himself, especially)

User Info Menu

Now I’m curious. Did you get a response? What did you learn?
    the owner got back to me and turns out it’s not a plate he just highlighted it to stand out in the photo. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler

Gibson | Contact Support

Contact
    I know that you've gotten your answer already, but +1 with Gitfiddler.

I have nothing but good things to type/say about Gibson Custom service. I've contacted them a number of times, including when I was contemplating buying my WesMo a couple of years ago, in an effort to determine the authenticity and each time I've done so, they've been quite to respond and more than accommodating.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IndalecioGuitar87
    the owner got back to me and turns out it’s not a plate he just highlighted it to stand out in the photo. LOL.
    that was my initial thought

User Info Menu

That photo of the back of the headstock looks exactly like the pic sent to me when I inquired about an L5 on Craigslist. In fact, I think it’s the same pic. Turned out to be a pretty common scam.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    That photo of the back of the headstock looks exactly like the pic sent to me when I inquired about an L5 on Craigslist. In fact, I think it’s the same pic. Turned out to be a pretty common scam.
    huh? What’s the scam ?

User Info Menu

he responded back and said he just highlighted in the photo to make it visible more. Going to see it Sunday

User Info Menu

he responded back and said he just highlighted in the photo to make it visible more. Going to see it Sunday
    Everyone should be paranoid about any guitar on Craigslist. But both the interior label and headstock stamp match. And if you’ve the capacity to travel to verify yourself then you’re in good shape.

User Info Menu

This is a little crazy but I have a Gibson with different serial numbers in the body and on the headstock. The whole neck had been replaced. Probably by an independent luthier. But maybe at the Gibson factory, a replaced neck could have been re-numbered.

User Info Menu

huh? What’s the scam ?
    There was an L5 on CL for a crazy price and when I inquired about it, the story was really odd. They wanted me to pay someone else and then the funds would be transferred, the seller was moving back to another state and was vague...the pics seemed to be lifted from somewhere else...and when I asked why the price was so low, the line went cold. Another forum member here reported seeing the same listing previously with different info.

User Info Menu

There was an L5 on CL for a crazy price and when I inquired about it, the story was really odd. They wanted me to pay someone else and then the funds would be transferred, the seller was moving back to another state and was vague...the pics seemed to be lifted from somewhere else...and when I asked why the price was so low, the line went cold. Another forum member here reported seeing the same listing previously with different info.
    which is why your paranoia was valid. But your experience didn’t have anything to do with what the OP is asking here. The Craigslist poster erred by highlighting the headstock number in gray. That doesn’t suggest he intentionally was misleading anyone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    which is why your paranoia was valid. But your experience didn’t have anything to do with what the OP is asking here. The Craigslist poster erred by highlighting the headstock number in gray. That doesn’t suggest he intentionally was misleading anyone.
    I was curious about the highlighted area of the headstock because it APPEARS to be the same photo that was sent to me. Silver highlighting and all. If so, that would suggest a recurring scam. Just offering a bit of caution.

User Info Menu

I was curious about the highlighted area of the headstock because it APPEARS to be the same photo that was sent to me. Silver highlighting and all. If so, that would suggest a recurring scam. Just offering a bit of caution.
    thats a crazy story. This is going for 7200...so not really a crazy price. Someone also could have stole that photo. Did you actually see it in person ?

User Info Menu

thats a crazy story. This is going for 7200...so not really a crazy price. Someone also could have stole that photo. Did you actually see it in person ?
    $7200 sounds realistic. The one I saw was listed for $1200. Just HAD to be too good to be true. I never saw it in person and feel confident they never had a guitar to sell in the first place.