The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm hoping somebody here can lend some help...
    I recently acquired an Eastman Pagelli PG1...although I generally just noodle on it without an amp, last night I decided to try it plugged in... The sounds coming from the E to D strings were not balanced.

In looking at the pole spacing, it looks as though the spacing is off beneath the strings...
    The pickup pole spacing is 2", but the string spacing (above the poles) is 1 7/8". That 1/8" seems to be making a difference....Should I just raise up and adjust Eastman Pagelli pickup pole spacing-img_0018-jpgthe poles below the E, B, G, and D strings? Or, is there a pickguard-mounted pup that has 1 7/8" spacing?

Appreciate the advice.. I've attached a picture...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Perhaps it's just parallax from the camera angle, but the bridge seems to be offset, putting all the strings too high. I would first align the bridge. Once that's done, it's probably possible to change the string spacing by moving the strings on the saddle, at least enough to get them close enough for jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Perhaps it's just parallax from the camera angle, but the bridge seems to be offset, putting all the strings too high. I would first align the bridge. Once that's done, it's probably possible to change the string spacing by moving the strings on the saddle, at least enough to get them close enough for jazz.
    Sorry about the delay in replying...I took the picture straight on, so it isn't the camera angle..The bridge is a full-contact ebony bridge which is placed just right over the bracing. Moving right or left won't work as it will change contact to the fingerboard. I'm not sure if the bridge is original, but I do have one with feet.
    I decided to order a Bartolini which has 5 internal Alnico magnets. With a little adjustment, this should work well...I'm hoping...

Thanks again for the advice...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by apell
    I isn't the camera angle..The bridge is a full-contact ebony bridge which is placed just right over the bracing. Moving right or left won't work as it will change contact to the fingerboard.
    Not to speak for SG, but the point is that the picture makes it look like a) your strings aren't centered on the fingerboard, pulled toward the bass side; b) your pickup isn't centered on the fingerboard, pulled toward the treble side; and c) the string spacing is not quite even too.

For most players the cure is to center the pickup, center the bridge and then cut new even slots in the saddle. That will bring the treble strings closer to the poles and may result in perfect alignment with the poles, if your desired spacing matches the poles. Heck, if you wind up liking that spacing you could just cut the slots to line the strings up with the poles.

The Bartolini 5J is a great pickup. You may like it a lot; I do. But even the 5J can't deliver proper sound if the strings are off the blades.

Hope this is more than no help.

User Info Menu

If the bridge is truly centered, and you don't think it's possible to move it, my next option would be moving the strings on the saddle. With a wooden saddle, it's possible to cut the string slots so that they line the strings up with the pickup, at whatever string spacing is necessary. Without seeing the bridge, though, it's hard to say how much movement is possible.

I will definitely not attempt to do any of this myself...My intention is take it to a recommended luthier in Saugerties and have him take the corrective measures. But, this is on hold as I'm awaiting a recent Reverb purchase of a Guild CE100....which was sent via Postal Parcel Post and is in "Somewhere"...and is supposed to get to me "Sometime"...but is "on its way"

I appreciate all the helpful advice....
    Cheers.