The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

I have a Sadowsky Electric Nylon guitar ordered which is near completion. This will be my first electric nylon.

Is there a brand/type of string that works best for electric nylon guitars as opposed to acoustic nylon?

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What is the pickup mechanism? That is, individual piezo elements like a Godin or some kind of soundboard transducer or...?

User Info Menu

It has a Barbera pickup in the bridge and preamp.
    Here are the specs:

Electric Nylon - Sadowsky Guitars

User Info Menu

piezo pickups work off sensing motion...there is no magnetic response...so you can use virtually any type string and it doesn't make much difference...as long as its moving the piezo will sense it

i'd use whatever nylon string i find comfortable and go from there

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 02-11-2021 at 02:59 PM. Reason: typo-

User Info Menu

You can use whatever nylon strings suit your fingers i.e. tension, size and tonal desires. I would also ask Roger what brand and size he ships the guitar with and/or what he recommends.

User Info Menu

Thank you.

User Info Menu

I just heard back from Sadowsky and this is what they use on all their nylon string's.

SETS - LA CLASSIQUE™ SMOOTHWOUND - GHS Strings

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2-5Guy
    I just heard back from Sadowsky and this is what they use on all their nylon string's.

SETS - LA CLASSIQUE™ SMOOTHWOUND - GHS Strings
    cool..but that just means sadowsky has a deal with ghs! hah

ghs is fine string company, but ultimately use what you like best...it won't affect the piezo

cheers

User Info Menu

I use D'Addario Pro Arte on my Kirk Sand (RMC pickups), but I swap out the thick G string for a Savarez 543J.

User Info Menu

One of the reasons I recommended you contact Rodger to see what strings are coming with the guitar is so that you have a frame of reference after you have played the guitar. Given that this guitar has minimal acoustic properties, you may find that how the strings feel under your fingers i.e. tension, diameter, polished, coated etc. will drive your selection.

User Info Menu

Understood.

This is my first nylon string guitar of ANY kind as I've been a steel string guy since day one. (Back when the first two digits of a telephone number were assigned a word). So the nylon world is all new to me.

Thanks folks!

User Info Menu

Well, congrats and enjoy! Roger Sadowsky is a fine luthier who offers unique and well-thought-out products. He seems to have excellent attention to detail as well as the big picture, as far as I can tell (not actually owning one of his instruments).

I have what may be a fairly similar instrument, in my case a Rick Turner Renaissance RN-6. It is basically a semi hollow nylon string guitar. I have found this to sound much better amplified than any acoustic classical guitar with a pickup in it that I have tried. The best sounding of those I have ever heard is Buscarino's Grand Cabaret design, but they cost four times as much as my RN-6 did. And the complete lack of feedback and excellent play ability is a bonus.

I really enjoy playing nylon string. If you don't already have this, developing some basic classical right hand technique will be helpful in extracting the most enjoyment out of the instrument. Fred Noad's book may be helpful in this. I found Gene Bertoncini's "Approaching the Guitar" also to be very helpful in improving my right hand technique (as well as knowing the fingerboard, harmonized scales, etc).

User Info Menu

Thank you for the suggestions. Yes, I am very much looking forward to the Nylon World as I have been a fan of (for instance) Earl Klugh since the 70's.

Interesting that you should mention harmonizing. Since I retired three years ago and moved to southern coastal Oregon on a beautiful five-acre piece of heaven, I reconnected with my old music theory teacher via Zoom. I'm currently breaking down melodies using harmonized 6's and 3rd's instead of single notes and this has really expanded my knowledge base. Right now I'm working out one of my favorite pieces, Cast Your Fate To The Wind. Specifically, Klugh's rendition.
    I'm using my L-5 CES with TI flats and it sounds beautiful through a Henriksen amp. I can't wait to play with the Sadowsky Nylon Electric!

This will be my fourth Sadowsky and they are wonderful instruments. Fit, form and function are impeccable.

Thank again!

User Info Menu

If you happen to see a set of Savarez Alliance High Tensions (540J) I think they'll fit the bill. In my personal experience, non-carbon ("conventional nylon") treble strings are softer and will move around on the saddle itself while playing, to an extent seemingly more noticeable than with carbon trebles. I wonder if an under-saddle pickup might pick up some noises from this? I had a similar guitar that I sold a couple of years ago to make rent, so I can unfortunately not double-check my claims.
    Bear in mind that the 540J's are my go-to strings for almost anything, so I have that bias.

User Info Menu

Be aware of Thomastik-Infeld KR116 'Rope Core' strings.

One of a kind, ball end, intended for classical but magnetic. about 90 lb.s total tension, pricey.

Like 'em or hate 'em.

Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tip about TI's.
    I actually did consider those.

User Info Menu

What ever happened to the The Dome nylon archtop?Ill google it.

User Info Menu

EJ46 Pro-Arte Hard Tension-great strings.I ues this set with Frameworks guitar.

User Info Menu

Just ordered a pack of these to try at some point after I get comfortable with the guitar in general.

I use daddario exclusively (with exception to the L5) on all my electrics and am very happy with the results.

https://www.daddario.com/products/gu...ormal-tension/

User Info Menu

Just ordered a pack of these to try at some point after I get comfortable with the guitar in general.

I use daddario exclusively (with exception to the L5) on all my electrics and am very happy with the results.

https://www.daddario.com/products/gu...ormal-tension/
    high tension, i do a ton of electric nylon gigs with my Rick Turner or Godin and always put high tension Dadarrios on them.

User Info Menu

I figured that since the guitar is set-up with Normal Tension strings, that I'd start there to establish my evaluation baseline.

User Info Menu

I figured that since the guitar is set-up with Normal Tension strings, that I'd start there to establish my evaluation baseline.
    Yes, that's the idea. Give it at least a few weeks for the strings to settle in. If you will be playing a lot with a pick you might want to move up to hard tension. Or even extra hard. It's really a personal choice.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 02-14-2021 at 02:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Yes, that's the idea. Give it at least a few weeks for the strings to settle in. If you will be playing a lot with a pick you might want to move up to hard tension. Or even extra hard. It's really a personal choice.
    this, playing with pick ? hard tension.

actually surprised that Roger puts normal tension on them..

DaShigsta Guest
    Great ! You'll enjoy this one very much... I had mine since 1999.
    I went to his old workshop on Broadway to select the body...

I have a Sadowsky Electric Nylon guitar ordered which is near completion. This will be my first electric nylon.

Is there a brand/type of string that works best for electric nylon guitars as opposed to acoustic nylon?

Thanks

User Info Menu

I suppose Roger has to average out his most common customer styles.

I plan on using this for Earl Klugh finger style 99% of the time.