The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Has anyone seen this yet? Is it worth a visit?

National GUITAR Museum

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks like it is at the Durham Museum in Omaha RIGHT NOW!

I will plan on going in about 2 weeks--have to go out of town this weekend.

Looks good--I NEVER turn down a chance to look at collectible guitars. I can only hope it is up to the standards of the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix (among other items--the JS that George Benson used for recording Breezin') and the late Songbirds Museum in Chattanooga--sadly the latter depended on live shows and couldn't survive COVID.

I haven't, thanks for sharing!

I wish there was a place where you could sign-up for updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Looks like it is at the Durham Museum in Omaha RIGHT NOW!

I will plan on going in about 2 weeks--have to go out of town this weekend.
    I think you're looking at a different exhibit. "M to M" is just finishing up in Daytona. Scroll down about halfway for the schedule.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I think you're looking at a different exhibit. "M to M" is just finishing up in Daytona. Scroll down about halfway for the schedule.
    Ah...I went to the main NGM website, and now I realize it features a different exhibit, The Science of Sound. I assumed it was the same exhibit.

Nevertheless, should be fun. Planning to go in a week or 2.

Well I went today, would give the exhibit an A+ for effort & presentation, B- for content. Obviously geared (pun intended) toward educating people about the history of the guitar. Pretty much basic run of the mill samples of Fenders, Gibsons, (mostly solids), a Rick, a Gretsch, some Teiscos, a Macaferri, a Martin, etc. A few educational displays for novices. The educational textual content was excellent, the pieces were just ok. The highlight for me was the collection of early music instruments (mostly modern repros). A vihuela, barogue guitar, lutes, a theorbo, etc. And some traditional ethnic instruments. A great exhibit to teach lay people about guitars. But, except for the early instruments, not much for the seasoned guitar fan to marvel at.

At a couple of interesting displays, I had to have the lovely Mrs WS pose with them:

"Medieval to Metal" exhibit-air-guitar-jpg
    "Medieval to Metal" exhibit-theorbo-jpg
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 02-13-2021 at 09:34 PM.

User Info Menu

The theorbo rocks.