The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    ...Woody, I really like those matching blonde wood knobs on your guitar. I've never seen that before. It really reduces the visual distraction...
    PRS gets them, the Hailwood knobs, from CrazyParts Deutschland: Worlds finest selection of Custom Guitar Knobs

"The Knob"

User Info Menu

If it's a Heritage or Ibanez burst, yes, I'd prefer any of their burst colors. Gibson tri-burst, or tobacco bursts are too dark brown to black but I still have Gibson bursts despite what I feel looks cheezy. Once in a blue moon I see a nice Gibson dark burst that looks like someone from Heritage was working there for the day... Ouch! :-)

Now their cherry, lemon, Iced Tea and other light bursts I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    On one hand:

Attachment 79011

On the other:
    Attachment 79012

I like 'em both, but have owned more bursts than blondes overall.

Danny W.
    You win!

User Info Menu

I don't have a preference -- what I've bought has depended on what was available within the time window I set to make a purchase and my price range. With archtops and semis I've bought over the years that has turned out to be 3 bursts and 1 black one (currently 2 burst and 1 black, with the black slated to go and spoken for). If I ever get to the point where space, time, funds, and desire to own more guitars allow I might seek out a guitar based on color (or lack thereof), but that's not where I'm at. All that said, when I collect vicariously through others, certain guitars look "right" to me in natural, while others do in burst -- for instance, ES 300's and 350's, Guild Artists Awards, and most of the Heritages look more natural as natural to my eye. L5 CES's look and ES 175's look right to me as bursts. This is my current main axe, and I don't think it would look as good in natural, but at the price/time window I probably would have bought it anyway/

Burst or Blonde?-img_20210104_171827-1-jpg

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues
    You win!
    Of course--what's my prize?

Danny W.

User Info Menu

I prefer a blonde guitar with some real figuring in the wood - like on this Trenier ! Looks like rippling water .... Generally the Gibson sunburst of the mid 50's through to the mid 60's is my favorite of all, both on spruce tops and maple.
    Burst or Blonde?-img_0118-jpg

User Info Menu

My problem is that blondes prefer gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    Of course--what's my prize?

Danny W.
    They're in your possession already.

User Info Menu

I honestly see merits in both "blonde" and "sunburst" archtop guitars. Both can be exquisitely beautiful instruments.

Blonde - 16" Comins Classic

Burst - 16" Buscarino Monarch

Blonde - 16" Comins Zelig Archtop

Burst - 17" Trenier Artifex Archtop

User Info Menu

NOTHING beats a highly figured and naked blonde on display with no shame!

I've always felt that bursts were designed to hide some sins and have always been suspicious of them, although I do think they look classy most of the time.

I am awaiting delivery of an Eastman 905NC (attached). Which is about the classiest guitar spec I can think of. Top it off with Maple binding on every possible edge (including headstock and F-holes).

Burst or Blonde?-s-l1600-3-jpg

Burst or Blonde?-s-l1600-4-jpg

Burst or Blonde?-s-l1600-5-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Burst or Blonde?-s-l1600-2-jpg