The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

Dear Forum Participants,

I don't post much, but I read a lot on this forum. I am asking now, if anyone has good info,
    for starting the process to make a UKULELE selection for purchase. Maybe you all know
    of a good forum site for UKULELE enthusiasts. She's a brand new student, in her 50s, one
    having very little actual musical knowledge. I wouldn't want her to buy something that won't
    even stay in tune long enough to get satisfactory learning from. Four string is what I expect
    makes the most sense. Why the UKULELE? She says it has a "sweet" sound, and she wants
    to play songs for our grandchild. Thank you all in advance.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ukuleles | Guitar Centerwww.guitarcenter.com › Ukuleles This should get you started. My wife has a few, as well as a George Harrison - penned book of ukelele songs. I've got a couple, one from my Dad which he played as a kid as part of a duo with his fraternal twin brother. They played at parties and family gatherings, to the delight of many. The other is an actual Hawaiian uke I got him for Father's Day or some such occasion. I've not been tempted to play much myself, as I have little enough time to practice guitar.

User Info Menu

Been through that here as well. Wife in late 40's. No music knowledge. She discovered that it is harder than it looks and takes some dedication. I answer the occasional question, keep away from her uke (she doesn't need to hear my 50 years of stringed instrument experience on her instrument), and give as much support as possible.

We started with a Kala and that was fine though not very well made. Bought her a Fender uke (with inline headstock) because she played it at Guitar Center and liked it. It does actually have a very sweet sound and looks nice. Also got her a cool hippie chick bag for it. Doesn't get played much but it's there when she wants it and you never know when it's a hobby that will take off.

Another article.. The Best Ukulele for Beginners | Reviews by Wirecutter

User Info Menu

You might want to select a uke size first: soprano, concert and tenor are the most used use sizes. Women tend to prefer concert size ukes. They're small but have a bigger sound than soprano ukes. I prefer tenors and baritons, but I'm a guy, so that makes sense.

Even a basic Kala will stay in tune. Better, more expensive Kala's will sound better. One brand that offers a great sounds for a reasonable price is Pono. I have two Pono ukes, both acacia solid wood. One tenor and one bariton. With a low g-string, you will get the mellowest sound you've ever heard.

User Info Menu

Enjoy what you have. She could want to play the tuba.

User Info Menu

As I expected, in a short time I've received excellent responses from you all!
    My wife's 5'9", with longer arm bones than the average 5'4" American woman.
    Given that, I expect that we'll wind up seeing the tenor sized examples fitting
    her proportions best.
    Earlier today I read about the 5 string and 6 string ukes. Interesting that the 6
    stringers use the exact fingering for chords as standard tuned guitars. And, if we
    put a capo on a standard tuned guitar at fret 5, we are playing at the same pitch
    as a standard tuned uke! I see that Gretsch has a 6 string: GUITALELE G9126.
    If she went for that, I could let her use my instruction books to learn the endless
    collection of chord shapes!
    Again I thank everyone for the help!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guido5
    She mentioned STEEL DRUMS after watching a few videos! AAAAAAAAHHHHHH !!!!

User Info Menu

If my wife would ask for that I would buy her an L-5

If too big for her then you can always downgrade to a yuke.

User Info Menu

If your wife wants to play the tuba, you will probably have to do a lot of painstaking research and investigation, but eventually it should be possible to find a new wife.

User Info Menu

Recommend you choose from one of these. HMS (The Ukulele Site) does great setups and packing before they ship out their Ukes: https://theukulelesite.com/shop-by/b...400-500&size=4. And I think Pono may be the best bang-for-buck brand. That said, here's my trio of tenors:
    The Wife Wants To Learn The UKULELE-my-ukes-jpg

User Info Menu

My wife was talking about wanting to play uke for a while. I found myself in Guitar Center one day (how did that happen?!) ... and they were having a uke sale ... I tried a bunch, and unfortunately the best sounding one was an Alvarez with Grateful Dead graphics. So I bought that, and I bought myself a Yamaha guitelele. Neither of us has really stuck with it, but some point I'll find a reason to record the guitelele. Not the worst $180 I ever spent.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guido5
    Or...shudder...the banjo...

User Info Menu

I have a couple of ukes. My Lanikai A/E with spruce top and cutaway is the best, but I also have a couple of Oscar Schmidts, including one in Koa that is beautiful.

As with most things, you get what you pay for, but you can get a decent uke for $100 or less. NOT made in Hawaii...those are NOT CHEAP.

A great website is Dr. Uke:

DR. UKE SONGS WITH UKULELE CHORD DIAGRAMS

Lots of resources as well as a ton of familiar songs. I find that when learning to play the uke having tabs on the charts is an invaluable aid.

Also get this book:

Sorry! Something went wrong!

You won’t really need another book. Although there are always more to buy. ;-)

User Info Menu

I strongly recommend ShopGoodWill.com if you're hunting for a beginner uke online. Say what you like about Goodwill, your high bid does not go to support Guitar Denter's bond-holders.

User Info Menu

We've made a purchase, a KALA, and the learning begins!

User Info Menu

Nice Sound
    Attached Images Attached Images The Wife Wants To Learn The UKULELE-u-side-jpg The Wife Wants To Learn The UKULELE-u-back-jpg The Wife Wants To Learn The UKULELE-u-top-jpg 

User Info Menu

That’s a pretty uke!

You can’t go wrong there. Play it in good health!

That's awesome.. Get her a good one! have fun playing together. Here are some good tips Best Ukulele Tips - Ukulele Tabs . I wish my wife showed even an iota of interest in uke. She doesn't mind MY interest, though, so I guess that's something.
    Last edited by MorrisGilliam1; 06-06-2022 at 04:13 AM.

User Info Menu

What the wife wants, is an opportunity for you. you should grant that Uke, and grant her a nice one. It is allways an excuse for you to get yourself a guitar that matches the uke. BTW I have to be honest. Paul and Paulie were both mine... not mine and the misses.

The Wife Wants To Learn The UKULELE-uke-lp-jpg

User Info Menu

I guess it depends on your use needs, size, and your price range. I recently bought a Cordoba electric acoustic tenor for theater shows, sounds great. Solid Acacia, similar to Koa. If you don't need electric or cutaway, they're priced even less.

Cordoba 25T-CE Tenor Acoustic Electric Ukulele | Reverb

User Info Menu

Uke was the first instrument I played as a preteen. It's difficult to find a really bad-sounding uke but the real issue is reliable tuners. My wife plays my inexpensive uke I bought in 1962. It still has a great sound and fairly reliable tuners. I wouldn't spend more than $100.00 for a beginner instrument since there's a high likelihood she will lose interest and want to try origami next. Guitar Center sells a: Kala KA-15S Satin Mahogany Soprano Ukulele with geared tuners and a bone insert on the bridge for adjustability for $65.00. I can't see why you need to spend more. Good luck . . . Tiny bubbles . . . in the air . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AdvenJack
    We've made a purchase, a KALA, and the learning begins!
    Kala makes good ukuleles at a decent price. I bought a Kala super tenor a few years ago, and really enjoy playing around on it. I have even played it out in public on request for a friend's birthday party. The sound carries surprisingly well.

Yours looks like a tenor with that big lower bout; is it?

User Info Menu

Don't need anything fancy.
    Don't need anything you can play at a party.
    Don't need TAB.
    Don't even need a teacher.
    Just need to love it and move your body

User Info Menu

In the family we have 4 Kala ukes – my wife, my daughter, my grandson and moi – hell, we could do a family uke quartet! And we are very happy with them. Mostly play them on the beach or on the roof garden – a lot of fun. It's such a sweet sounding instrument that anybody can't kelp but love it. We made the girls dance on th beach to playing La Bamba in vacation last year. Party time! :-)

User Info Menu

Get a baritone. They are still quite small, are tuned linearly and play in the same key as a guitar. It will make things so much easier for you if you need to help and interpret what she is tryin to learn and play. Ukes that are tuned a fourth up do my head in when looking at some playing the chords or notes and trying to help them. Plus that high top string makes scales sound weird.