The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Picked this up one week ago today. I played a '60 Byrdland about a year ago and could not get it out of my head--and I found the neck surprisingly comfortable. After years of being primarily a blues player, and using a heavy thumb-over-the-top technique, I'd also chased after fat necks. However, as I've gotten more into jazz playing over the last several years, I've found my technique adapting, and perhaps for that reason I found the Byrdland neck surprisingly comfortable.

Anyhow, fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, I found available locally and was able to meet up and try it out. Loved it immediately. It has a deeper neck than the 60, and is a little wider at the nut but a similar weight and overall feel (the PAFs on the '60 were definitely special, but these PATs are fantastic in their own right...just a little darker. It has been refretted, and currently has Grover Imperials, though I have the original Sealfast in a ziplock bag should I ever want to put them back on. It also has a mark near the selector switch where it looks like someone lay a soldering iron on it. Other than that, it's in pretty good condition...and more importantly it plays wonderfully and sounds even better. So many sounds available from bright and clear, to fat warm and round when rolling off volume and tone. It's a keeper!

Hoping to record some clips to share this weekend, in the meantime here are some pics:

Attached Images Attached Images '69 Gibson Byrdland!-img_1973-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congrats, looks nice

User Info Menu

Nice! I too, have been attracted to the Byrdland, with its 23.5" scale. I've found over the years that with my small hands, a shorter scale guitar just "feels right" in my hands. It's one reason I keep going to my Taylor GS Mini acoustic when I want a quick noodle.

User Info Menu

Beautiful instrument! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

nice!..get your hank garland on! & matches that 330 nicely!

congrats & enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

A Beauty. May she inspire your jazz playing for many years to come!

User Info Menu

Happy New Guitar Day! A beauty!

User Info Menu

Gorgeous, fabulous.

Congrats !

User Info Menu

Beautiful!!!

Thanks for the replies! It is a joy to play...clips coming soon.

User Info Menu

Congrats and enjoy ! Love that Byrdland look !

Lovely! Congrats, HNGD and play her in good health!

User Info Menu

Hi, Would you mind giving me some Birland measurements , please?

Nut width is 1 11/16" (42,86mm) I believe; but I need fret width measurement at last 22# fret, if you are so kind.

thanks

Beautiful guitar!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images '69 Gibson Byrdland!-measurements-neck-2-jpg 

Quote Originally Posted by Bl@sillo

Nut width is 1 11/16" (42,86mm) I believe; but I need fret width measurement at last 22# fret, if you are so kind.

thanks

Beautiful guitar!!!!
    '

Thank you, it is eye candy for sure!

I believe only the modern version of the Byrdland's have the q 11/16th nut width (mid-late 70's on). The older models were either 1 9/16 or 1 10/16.

Mine measures approximately 1 10/16th (just under or at 42mm). At the 22nd fret it is about 53mm.

All of the older (pre-1974ish) Byrdland's I have tried had the narrow neck size towards the upper frets. More than the short scale, that feature is likely what throws most people off about the Byrdland necks. I happen to like it, and find it very fast, but I do have to adjust after playing my '53 Epiphone Triumph for example, which has a long scale and much wider and bigger neck all around.

Hope that helps.

User Info Menu

Yes!, Of course, it helps a lot! Lot of thanks Ryguy.

May I ask you for another measurements?

1- Your scale length from just right under the nut to left hole at bridge level.

2- From this same hole right to middle of 22nd fret

3- Seems the bridge it´s not parallel to bridge pickup edge, right? so I would like to know distances from both same holes to edge bridge, it should be different betwen them. You see these in green color arrows.

A last thing: the guitar input on the side, a pic of it .

As you can guess, I´m trying to build a short scale jazz guitar. Your help is great, thanks.

Beatiful guitar again, Ryguy. By the way, don´t you have any youtube video playing this beauty?

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images '69 Gibson Byrdland!-69-gibson-byrdland-measurements-jpg 

User Info Menu

My apologies, wasn't my intention to bother you.

Here in Spain is difficult to find a Byrdland.

Greetings from Madrid

User Info Menu

thanks

Beautiful guitar!!!!

User Info Menu

3- Seems the bridge it´s not parallel to bridge pickup edge, right? so I would like to know distances from both same holes to edge bridge, it should be different betwen them. You see these in green color arrows.
    The location of the bridge is not fixed. The bridge is not attached to the body. It is held in place by the tension on the strings. You place the bridge at the location that intones correctly; i.e. the 12th fret harmonic and fretted note at the 12th fret are both in tune.

HTH

SJ

User Info Menu

Beautiful! It is at that perfect intersection between the fading of the ‘burst and the ambering of the lacquer. Optimal sunburst beauty, right there!