The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I know these get mixed reviews but I just ordered one to play around with for jazz and other...Back in stock today for $115. Cheaper than many pedals and should make a good little practice amp and modding platform (speaker, tubes and stuff)...Has a speaker out for 8 or 16 ohms on the back...said to get pretty loud that way...these are reputed to be a Laney Cub clone amp...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have one and really enjoy using it at home. A little tube swapping will give you a bit more clean headroom.

User Info Menu

stick a 12ay7 in the first preamp socket for more useable headroom...

the 12ay7 is a lower gain version of the high impedance/low current 12ax7...

many people sub a 12at7 or 12au7...but they are low impedance/high current tubes...not as good a match as the 12ay7...electronically!

cheers

User Info Menu

I got one. Set it up in the shop as my shop amp, lots of heavy use, still going strong. Love mine. I put a Weber in it cuz it was so good it seemed worthy. It got even better.

User Info Menu

Does it need to be biased when you change the tube? I’d like mine to have more clean headroom but I don’t know how to bias it.

User Info Menu

no...pre-amp tubes don't need biasing...only power tubes (in some designs)

cheers

Got the little Monoprice today. Let it warm up in box with the top open for a couple of hours before trying it out(it has been traveling fedex for about 8 days from CA to KS so very cold). Must say, it sounds very nice to me with my epi es-339. I also tried some reverb from a zoom b1on bass pedal (have the monoprice sitting on my rumble 100 with the bass pedal right there already...sounds pretty darn good when I factor out my playing skill level...fun, now we'll see about the longevity (the amp gets poor marks from some on this) but for a little over $100 if I get a few years play that's good...

really liked it but had to send it back...developed odd cut outs during play....power still on but no sound...maybe a tube issue, I did make sure they were firmly in their sockets before using the first time and both were glowing in a "normal" way (I know, they still could be bad). I decided to go ahead and return the little guy and instead of replacing it am reconsidering my "needs" and other options...

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear that. Best of luck finding something that works well and inspires you to play.

User Info Menu

I live in Stockholm Sweden, have not been able to find the amps you are referring to. Do you have a link to share?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coryB
    Does it need to be biased when you change the tube? I’d like mine to have more clean headroom but I don’t know how to bias it.
    Looks like all tubes are cathode biased, so there is no bias adjustment. You might need to make a hum adjustment, but that’s just done by ear.

Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro
    I live in Stockholm Sweden, have not been able to find the amps you are referring to. Do you have a link to share?
    Here is their US link...not sure if they deliver internationally...cheers

Monoprice 5-Watt, 1x8 Guitar Combo Tube Amplifier with Celestion Speaker - Monoprice.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rahsaan
    Looks exactly the same except for the added Harley Benton emblem...doesn't mean there are no internal differences but likely not...same factory, same item is my guess...

User Info Menu

Are these any way related to Tweed Champ? One 6V6, 5W, only vol & tone seems common for both (ok, Champ has not tone without modding).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Are these any way related to Tweed Champ? One 6V6, 5W, only vol & tone seems common for both (ok, Champ has not tone without modding).
    No, the tone-stack is not a Fender style tone stack. It's more like the Laney. In fact, it IS the Laney, re-branded. Some of the Monoprice circuit boards actually have the Laney logo stenciled on them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    No, the tone-stack is not a Fender style tone stack. It's more like the Laney. In fact, it IS the Laney, re-branded. Some of the Monoprice circuit boards actually have the Laney logo stenciled on them.
    Thanks. Maybe I should have thought that because the words in the OP:
    ”(...) these are reputed to be a Laney Cub clone amp...(...)”

Laney Amps, founded by Lyndon Laney, bassist of the Band of Joy, featuring Robert Plant and John Bonham! (Just read from Wikipedia.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Thanks. Maybe I should have thought that because the words in the OP:
    ”(...) these are reputed to be a Laney Cub clone amp...(...)”

Laney Amps, founded by Lyndon Laney, bassist of the Band of Joy, featuring Robert Plant and John Bonham! (Just read from Wikipedia.)
    I have both the 5 watt and the 15 watt Monoprice tube amps. I like them both very much. The 15 has a spring reverb, effects loop, 3 bands of EQ and a separate "tone" knob. The effects Send functions as a pre-amp out, too, which is nice. I enjoy playing it back and forth comparing with my Fender Princeton Reverb Re-Issue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone;[URL="tel:1101704"
    1101704[/URL]]I have both the 5 watt and the 15 watt Monoprice tube amps. I like them both very much. The 15 has a spring reverb, effects loop, 3 bands of EQ and a separate "tone" knob. The effects Send functions as a pre-amp out, too, which is nice. I enjoy playing it back and forth comparing with my Fender Princeton Reverb Re-Issue.
    is the 15watt copied from a laney as well ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    is the 15watt copied from a laney as well ?
    I think it is. I googled pictures of the circuit boards for each, and they were identical.