The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Hi all. I've been hanging around this forum for some time now, but I believe this is my first time posting a thread. This is basically cross-posted on TDPRI, but I figured the people on this forum will be more useful because I'm playing with a jazz ensemble.

Anyway, I'm in a situation where our band has more guitarists than amps. Instead of an amp, I only have access to a portable PA/ monitor wedge type thing. I've yet to explore the world of ampless rigs, but I'm searching for a clean platform that I can run direct to a PA and possibly use for headphone practice, too. I hope to find a solution that will fit in the front pocket of a gig bag to make traveling to gigs and rehearsals super easy.

I've narrowed it down to a few options (and other recommendations are welcome). The Joyo American Sound is a very low risk and presumably high reward option for me, as a beginner to ampless. No headphone option, but it's my leading contender because I'm only out $40. The next step up is the Boss GT-1 multi effects. It is digital and has all the effects I'll ever need at the press of programmable buttons. I hardly ever use effects but if it sounds good, it sounds good. It's convenient and portable, and has a headphone output.

The last option is the Two Notes CAB M+, which I picked over the Strymon Iridium. My original budget was $200, while the Two Notes is $320. The Two Notes is all inclusive (preamp, speaker sim, cab sim, mic sim, IR, reverb, EQ) and has tons of options, but also seems more permanent than the other two options (I can stick the Two Notes at the end of a pedal board once I can afford a proper Princeton or something). It has a headphone output and is simple enough to use. The issue is there isn't very much information about it online, and $320 is a pretty big plunge for me without having experienced the device in person or done extensive research.

What say ye?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Anybody have experience will the Joyo American Sound, Boss GT-1, or Two Notes CAB? I've also considered the Zoom G3n and Strymon Iridium, but I think I prefer the Boss and Two Notes equivalents.

User Info Menu

I'm sure a lot of other people will have more experience. I used to have a Digitech multieffects pedal--RP50 or something. They have upgraded since then, though from their website it doesn't look like they make them anymore. Or maybe sold them to another manufacturer--the Zoom pedal looks fairly similar.

These can be found used on Ebay and Reverb for $50-300 dollars. You can choose your own amp simulation, as well as layering on as many effects as you want.

Yes there are highly regarded MEP's out there like Boss, Line 6, etc., at all price points. It will be interesting to see if anyone has experience with these current pedals and can recommend one that is within your budget.

User Info Menu

I used a Joyo american into a cheap Ibanez T20 amp (it's an acoustic amp, which sounds very neutral, so not too far from a PA-speaker I guess!?). I never had any problems with that setup and liked the sounds I got ut of that, and at least for some venues I certainly prefer that approach over lugging around my '59 Bassman. I'm only using past tense here because I've upgraded to a Jr. Barnyrd now instead of the Joyo, which fits better with the music I play. There's nothing wrong with the Joyo though!

It's well worth a try!

Paul

User Info Menu

Hi there IMYRT and welcome ....

I'm sometimes in the same situation

Note I haven't got that much dough to spend
    so I've only experimented with the cheap options

Up to now I've been feeding the PA with a
    Harley Benton American Sound
    Harley Benton American TrueTone – Thomann UK

its very similar to the Joyo one

I'm using a mid size laminate archtop with a humbucker
    and with straight ahead Jazz its worked great for me
    (I'm not very demanding and just need a good clean sound with no FX)

Now we're playing some more modern stuff too Stevie Wonder etc
    so I'm trying to get a bit more tube amp type touch-sensitivity going on

I read something somewhere about the AC tone being fairly touch sensitive
    so I'm gonna try that next
    Harley Benton AC TrueTone – Thomann UK

I can't believe how cheap these things are !
    well built too

good luck and let us know how it goes whichever way you go
    I think there are a few of us on here , interested in going ampless

User Info Menu

These are actually pretty cool and the V2 has some nice upgrades from the original. It doesn't have headphone out, but... I had the original and am tempted by the V2 since I play primarily in "silent stage" scenarios. $299 at Sweetwater

Fly Rig 5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BComp61
    These are actually pretty cool and the V2 has some nice upgrades from the original. It doesn't have headphone out, but... I had the original and am tempted by the V2 since I play primarily in "silent stage" scenarios. $299 at Sweetwater

Fly Rig 5
    Is there an advantage to buying one of these over the Joyo unit? I looked into the Fly Rig and figured I wouldn't use any of the effects (I don't even use reverb in most cases). Plus, the Joyo is a copy of the Sansamp Blonde circuit, which is part of the Fly Rig 5.

User Info Menu

My 'emergency finish-the-gig' rig is a Boss FDR-1 65 Fender Deluxe Reverb pedal (into an EHX 44 Magnum and a combo-cab adapter cord). There are nine currently on Reverb running around $175 shipped. IMR mine was $100 used from Guitar Denter two years ago; I like that price better.

It's fine. A couple of hours of fiddling would probably yield even better results.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis
    Is there an advantage to buying one of these over the Joyo unit? I looked into the Fly Rig and figured I wouldn't use any of the effects (I don't even use reverb in most cases). Plus, the Joyo is a copy of the Sansamp Blonde circuit, which is part of the Fly Rig 5.
    I haven't played using the Joyo, so I can't offer a comparison. Personally, I like having the built in effects and, they have upgraded them from V1...the XLR out with cab sim, built-in tuner, 8th note options on delay, etc...and it comes from the original Sansamp folks. I can attest that they are very well built.

Another pedal you might take a look at is the Ethos Clean II Pre-amp which have a base price of $279. I have an Ethos Clean-Fusion that I love! These are also built like a tank and if effects aren't an issue, I would seriously give this a look. Tim Lerch is one of their endorsees and has done some demo's of these pedals, FWIW. But....YMMV

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BComp61
    I haven't played using the Joyo, so I can't offer a comparison. Personally, I like having the built in effects and, they have upgraded them from V1...the XLR out with cab sim, built-in tuner, 8th note options on delay, etc...and it comes from the original Sansamp folks. I can attest that they are very well built.

Another pedal you might take a look at is the Ethos Clean II Pre-amp which have a base price of $279. I have an Ethos Clean-Fusion that I love! These are also built like a tank and if effects aren't an issue, I would seriously give this a look. Tim Lerch is one of their endorsees and has done some demo's of these pedals, FWIW. But....YMMV
    Those Ethos preamps look nice. I saw the Ethos Overdrive on That Pedal Show and thought it sounded great over YouTube, whatever that means. They are pricey, but I'll think about it. The Clean II preamp is cheaper than the Two Notes and well under any Strymon pedal.

User Info Menu

My emergency rig is my everyday rig. I use a Line6 Relay G10 wireless system to my amp. The G10 receiver has both 1/4" and XLR outs. Either can be used direct to a PA, and I have used both with no problems. I also have a Joyo American Sound, and it lives on a shelf in the closet. It's fine if you want a scooped Fender sound, but I'm not a fan of that. The G10 gives a very basic uncolored tone, just whatever comes out of the guitar. Some may not like it, but it's fine for me in a pinch, for playing rhythm. I run it from a cellphone charging battery, which lasts for hours. I don't know how many, but more than eight. It comes with an AC adapter, but it's more trouble than it's worth when playing out. I use an adapter at home because nothing is going to move around and it's convenient. I really like not being connected to a cable.

User Info Menu

I bought a GT-1 and returned it.

I have used the ME50, 70 and, now, the 80. I wanted the same sounds in a smaller package. The GT-1 will do that. That's the good part.

The bad part is that I didn't care for its ease of use. Also, there was a sound I wanted (too much to explain for this post) that I thought I could get, but it didn't work.

The volume pedal is too small for comfort. That may have been the biggest issue.

The GT-1 has massive capability (lots of things you can do and every parameter is adjustable). All of that capability lives in a very small box. As you might imagine, that is accomplished with menus and scrolling. Easiest using a connection to a computer. Possible on the device, but not pleasant. Often, I accidentally touched something which caused a lot of noise. It was embarrassing during a performance.

I wanted 4 presets. Can be done, but requires scrolling.

I suspect, without knowing for certain, that it will drive a monitor (the ME80 will not -- the output signal is set for a guitar amp input, which is a smaller voltage). If it will do that, and you can live with the ergonomics, it might be a good choice. I always used it driving a guitar amp. The user interface is the question.

User Info Menu

only slightly OT

i checked out the Ethos site and saw
    their TWE-1 pedal

I think this is just what I need
    so I’m gonna start saving !

thanks BComp61 .....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    only slightly OT

i checked out the Ethos site and saw
    their TWE-1 pedal

I think this is just what I need
    so I’m gonna start saving !

thanks BComp61 .....
    You're welcome! They make cool stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    My 'emergency finish-the-gig' rig is a Boss FDR-1 65 Fender Deluxe Reverb pedal (into an EHX 44 Magnum and a combo-cab adapter cord). There are nine currently on Reverb running around $175 shipped. IMR mine was $100 used from Guitar Denter two years ago; I like that price better.

It's fine. A couple of hours of fiddling would probably yield even better results.
    Too bad they don't still make that. I bet it would work well with my Fishman Artist or with my bandmate's Bose system to provide some warmth. Will keep looking out for one.

User Info Menu

I think I've come to the conclusion I will get either the Joyo American Sound or the Ethos Clean II Preamp. The question is whether I test the waters with the Joyo or splurge for the Ethos. I don't really like Joyo as a company, and those Ethos preamps look really nice, but $40 is an easier hit than $300.

I also looked at the Fishman Platinum after reading about them on this forum, but I think most of the guys are playing them through archtops, not telecasters.

User Info Menu

For headphone playing (I'm sure you can go line-in to a PA too) I can highly recommend the Zoom G-1 FOUR Multi-effects Processor. Amp simulation, effects, drum machine and looper all in one.

$89

Zoom G1 FOUR Multi-effects Processor | Sweetwater

There is a model with a foot pedal for volume or wah if you like that is a bit more expensive.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

Not to muddy the waters, but this might be another good option as well, especially if no effects are needed:

Quilter Phantom Block

Yeah ok, I have one of these too, lol! Figured it was worth checking out at $100. Great for just tossing in a gig bag.

"Hi! My name is Bill...I am addicted to pedals."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis;[URL="tel:1096789"
    1096789[/URL]]The question is whether I test the waters with the Joyo or splurge for the Ethos. I don't really like Joyo as a company,
    i got the Harley Benton one
    which is similar
    I don’t know if that helps ....

User Info Menu

I placed an Amazon order for the Joyo American Sound. I figured the Ethos is a little beyond my means, and there is nothing to lose at $40 for the Joyo. Will report back later.

User Info Menu

The Joyo American Sound and a Boss FRV-1 reverb pedal is my no-amp setup. Works great, I even recorded with it to great satisfaction. A cheaper mini-pedal reverb option would probably work fine as well, but I like the spring reverb imitation of the FRV-1, sounds just like my Twin Reverb.

The Boss FDR-1 pedal option that Sam Sherry posted is also very interesting since you have preamp and reverb in one pedal. But the Joyo and a separate reverb is the cheaper option and perhaps a bit more flexible.

Yes, get the Joyo (or Harley Benton)!