The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Just got around to spending time on my new AR372CE in classic finish. Love the guitar - weight, feel, fretting, neck profile, action ( although with a straight neck the truss rod is now close to maxxed out ). However, the pickups I find to be underwhelming ( whilst acknowledging the results obtained by Tommo eg on Round Midnight ). For me, they lack character, but above all seem woefully underpowered. Does anyone else find this to be the case?

Thanks in advance. Will post belated NGD pics shortly.

David

PS I wonder if I could push the goodwill and forbearance of members just a tad further by asking if they thought either of the SD '59 or Seth Lover would make a good replacement in the neck and better reflect the acoustic qualities of the guitar. Also, does anyone even know what the official specs are for the so called KA HPAN-1's can't find anything in a quick search.
    Last edited by blackcat; 02-01-2021 at 06:22 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

One or two of these may bring it to life for you -- I have one on an old Ibanez Artcore (AF95) and I love the thing. Seymour Duncan Jazz, about $79 I think. The attached audio was recorded with this pickup on that old Ibanez, neck PUP only.

Eastman AR372CE - pickups (output in particular)-classic-output-humbucker-pickups-11107-11-7str-png
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

Thanks Kojo27 - much appreciated. Will put that on the list.

David

User Info Menu

I can help you, I have an AR372 that I put Seth Lovers in and am familiar with the HPAN pickups!

The Kent Armstrong HPAN-1 are PAF style pickups licensed by Kent Armstrong and made in China. They used to be listed online but they must have either changed specs or no longer sell them direct becuase I can no longer find them. There are HPAN and HPAG models (N = Nickel, G = Gold). This is what the specs were listed on WDMusic for the HPAN-1 when I research them years ago:

(HPAN-1 / VINTAGE N) ALNICO / D.C. =8.9K- Sweet and soulful classic PAF tones with a warm bass, punchy mids, and a smooth treble response. Wiring diagram, mounting ring, screws and springs are included. Fully wax potted. 4 core cable for optional coil-tapping capabilities.
    I don't think they're bad pickups though I do agree they kinda lack character and are a little bland. So in typical GAS fashion I replaced mine on several Eastmans I used to own (a T386 and an AR403) and on the AR372 I still own. With the T386 and AR403, I went a a Gibson 57 Classic. But I went with Seth Lovers on my AR372. I kept the other electronics (pots, etc) in place on my AR372. I'm happy with the results, a little more character. But given the stock pickups and Seth Lovers (and 57 Classics for that matter) are in the PAF family, it's not going to be a huge night/day difference. I kinda wish I replaced the pots on mine because the taper of the volume pots on all of the Eastmans I've had never really did much until the later half of their turn. For example the volume wouldn't come on to a useful level until I got like 60%-70% of the volume knob turn.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monkmiles
    I can help you, I have an AR372 that I put Seth Lovers in and am familiar with the HPAN pickups!

The Kent Armstrong HPAN-1 are PAF style pickups licensed by Kent Armstrong and made in China. They used to be listed online but they must have either changed specs or no longer sell them direct becuase I can no longer find them. There are HPAN and HPAG models (N = Nickel, G = Gold). This is what the specs were listed on WDMusic for the HPAN-1 when I research them years ago:

I don't think they're bad pickups though I do agree they kinda lack character and are a little bland. So in typical GAS fashion I replaced mine on several Eastmans I used to own (a T386 and an AR403) and on the AR372 I still own. With the T386 and AR403, I went a a Gibson 57 Classic. But I went with Seth Lovers on my AR372. I kept the other electronics (pots, etc) in place on my AR372. I'm happy with the results, a little more character. But given the stock pickups and Seth Lovers (and 57 Classics for that matter) are in the PAF family, it's not going to be a huge night/day difference. I kinda wish I replaced the pots on mine because the taper of the volume pots on all of the Eastmans I've had never really did much until the later half of their turn. For example the volume wouldn't come on to a useful level until I got like 60%-70% of the volume knob turn.
    Thanks monkmiles - really helpful. Got it down to Seth Lover or SD '59 by today. I have a Seth Lover in my budget
    ( but excellent Ibanez ) Afj95 but tend to play near the p/u and so get clicks. Agree on linear pots - not ideal.

Thanks again for taking the time.
    David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    Thanks monkmiles - really helpful. Got it down to Seth Lover or SD '59 by today. I have a Seth Lover in my budget
    ( but excellent Ibanez ) Afj95 but tend to play near the p/u and so get clicks. Agree on linear pots - not ideal.

Thanks again for taking the time.
    David
    No problem. I have a Seymour Duncan 59' in my Les Paul neck position and a JB in the bridge. I think you'd like the 59, maybe wouldn't have to have its height so close to the strings as on your Ibanez. It's definitely higher output and the Les Paul rawks with the 59/JB combo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monkmiles
    No problem. I have a Seymour Duncan 59' in my Les Paul neck position and a JB in the bridge. I think you'd like the 59, maybe wouldn't have to have its height so close to the strings as on your Ibanez. It's definitely higher output and the Les Paul rawks with the 59/JB combo.
    Amazing timing - pulled the plug and placed my order for a '59 last night after watching Rich Seversen (!) on YT comparing it with the Seth in a Heritage and before reading your post this morning. Thanks again - most grateful. Will report back.

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    Amazing timing - pulled the plug and placed my order for a '59 last night after watching Rich Seversen (!) on YT comparing it with the Seth in a Heritage and before reading your post this morning. Thanks again - most grateful. Will report back.

David
    One more thing and that is to ask if anyone here considers it heresy to simply snip the pickup wires and solder the new pickup 'in-line'. Avoids the complications of extracting the harness through the F holes etc - time, not least.

David

User Info Menu

It's your guitar, do it however you want. It ain't rocket science to solder the leads. I use heat-shrink tubing to cover the connections and prevent short circuits. Tape works if that's all you have, but heat-shrink lasts longer and looks more professional.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    It's your guitar, do it however you want. It ain't rocket science to solder the leads. I use heat-shrink tubing to cover the connections and prevent short circuits. Tape works if that's all you have, but heat-shrink lasts longer and looks more professional.
    Thanks - that makes me feel a lot better. I have no interest in keeping the HPAN, so shortening the cable is not an issue. Giving the guitar to a tech' who may easily scratch the surface whilst charging a minimum of 75€ to get the pots out through the F holes is most definitely an issue! 'My' guy does not normally scratch things but it is always a risk once on the bench. Thanks again. You are right - it is my guitar and this one I intend to keep

David

User Info Menu

I'd say the only thing to consider is if you want to sell the HPAN-1 for a few bucks on reverb or something and in that case it'll be worth more with full lead length. Not that they fetch much though, I think I got like $40-$45 for the pair.

User Info Menu

That's silly, but true. Splicing on a longer lead is easy and has no effect on function or performance, but some people are willing to pay more if there is no splice. I'm not one of them.

User Info Menu

I think the sound of the my AR371 is kind of weak, too. But it is substantially improved with running it through an ART Tube MP preamp, which is cheaper than a new set of pickups and is usable on all the guitars I want to warm up.

ART Tube MP Microphone Preamp | Sweetwater