The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 53

User Info Menu

Due to the lockdown (and also a flu pretty much limiting practicing periods to like 15 minutes at a time) I stuck my phone inside my hollowbody guitars. First the Gibson ES 330 – my most expensive possession. I was amazed to see the roughness of the pickup cutouts and wood splinters sticking out of the braces.

Inside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-img_0082-jpg

What a contrast to the very clean Ibanez GB10

Inside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-img_0087-jpg

and the Ibanez GB200 – just in between with some glue stains.
    Inside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-img_0090-jpg
    They all sound great but I'm afraid now I can never unsee this. At least I can show the pics to my Gibson if she complains about sloppy playing. ;-)

Now I'm curious how an L5, ES 175, Eastman or Benedetto look like inside.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow... agreed the (poor) finish work inside the Gibson is very surprising! Especially at their price point!

User Info Menu

One would think they would have a routing template? Was this worked on by someone other than Gibson—looks like routed for a HB?

On a similar note I was surprised at the sloppiness of the factory soldering on the pots of someone else’s guitar. I expect that from ME—should be pristine from the factory.

Doesn’t affect the sound of course!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly

No photos to prove it, but my Eastman 7 string has some of the cleanest workmanship inside and out, that I'd expect from an individually hand built guitar. Glue lines are clean, braces carefully sanded, all kerfing is consistent and clean and finish applied very cleanly. It's one of the reasons I was impressed with the instrument even before I even played it. It feels like someone took pride.
    When I'm building, there's the saying "Why bother if nobody will see it? I'll know it's there."

User Info Menu

One should never be surprised at poor quality of finish from Gibson.

Even my L5 went back three times before they cured the lack of spray/overspray on the neck.
    But they’re variable and that’s the shame of it. For every person they’ve disappointed there’s plenty who think they’re gods.

I think you see an entirely different work ethic in Asia. I don’t know Eastman but had a Kenny Hill New World Classical made in China. Extraordinary workmanship, finish (French polish), and great sound. The current Ibanez Indonesia builds are I think cleaner than their Chinese were.

User Info Menu

Here's two cellphone pics. Benedetto Bravo is surgically clean and precise. ES-175 1959 VOS not bad either. Kerfed bracing visible. I have an endoscope for examining guitar innards (and suspect points in the old house). No sinister secrets like OP's Gibby so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images Inside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-benedetto-inside-jpg Inside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-gibson-inside-jpg 

User Info Menu

Here’s the inside of my ‘88 175: not too bad. No spiderwebs fortunately.

Inside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-7e73a997-9561-4597-b67d-2e40f485278f-jpeg

The cuts on the 330 above through the block have to have been made with a hand saw, or with a jigsaw. Hard to believe they would have done that at the factory, but who knows? Interesting construction with the block.

User Info Menu

Here's the best I could do thru the f-hole of my 6120... it's a 2005, so it's after Fender bought Gretsch. Can't get a good shot under the pickups because this guitar has trestle braces in the way.

Inside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-img_1183-jpg

User Info Menu

Rough finish inside my 175.

Inside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-fa177c71-c797-42c0-b5b1-ec837de194d7-jpeg

User Info Menu

I'm not a luthier and, being European, don't have they eye for different NA woods. Yet, it looks like Gibson's been all over the charts with ES bracing: sawn, planed, parallel, transversal, kerfed and different looking woods, or at least sawn differently.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop

Inside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-fa177c71-c797-42c0-b5b1-ec837de194d7-jpeg
    Now that's an archtop with a flat back as they were back then. Just imagine the price of a faithful reissue!

User Info Menu

Hi, G,
    Looks like you need a dehumidifier. However, the bracing looks great! Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, G,
    Looks like you need a dehumidifier. However, the bracing looks great! Play live . . . Marinero
    It can take a lot of punishment, I’ll say that for it.

User Info Menu

thought it felt a little heavy...but had no idea till i took a saw to it!

good thing the family was out shopping!

cheers

User Info Menu

Inside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-fe7dd7db-da69-495c-b315-a3119aa8d860-jpgInside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-1d3af248-36ec-4df6-a467-304fa1a15679-jpg

Very clean build inside my Eastman t49d/v, as Jimmy Blue note commented above. Oddly, I took these on Friday before seeing this post. Lockdown minds think alike?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by XISTH
    Inside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-fe7dd7db-da69-495c-b315-a3119aa8d860-jpgInside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-1d3af248-36ec-4df6-a467-304fa1a15679-jpg

Very clean build inside my Eastman t49d/v, as Jimmy Blue note commented above. Oddly, I took these on Friday before seeing this post. Lockdown minds think alike?

User Info Menu

Excuse me but that pic's obviously of a chambered body, so not a 175

User Info Menu

Love the idea of this thread. Went and grabbed some pics to join in.

The inside of my Benedetto
    Inside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-feefd8a2-0c11-4a64-86ce-ca422b8be808-jpgInside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-dbda0d1a-9bf2-4d68-a4b1-20f4f8aaf4b1-jpg

The inside of my Trenier. Wish I could read this writing:
    Inside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-1915c31e-de06-4c5f-999c-a1e4d9905f1e-jpg

User Info Menu

As a luthier, I'd always found that getting inside a guitar to do repair work is one of THE least enjoyable aspects of the job. THIS is the woman of my fantasies. She does amazing work shaving braces and removing excess material, and her rates are TINY.
    She's a pirate all right, but she won't let me steal licks. A clean ship for her; smooth braces for smooth sailing for me.
    Inside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-screen-shot-2021-01-31-9-18-41-pm-png

User Info Menu

Due to the lockdown (and also a flu pretty much limiting practicing periods to like 15 minutes at a time) I stuck my phone inside my hollowbody guitars. First the Gibson ES 330 – my most expensive possession. I was amazed to see the roughness of the pickup cutouts and wood splinters sticking out of the braces.
    You're not supposed to look there!

User Info Menu

Inside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-img_0082-jpg

What a contrast to the very clean Ibanez GB10

Inside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-img_0087-jpg

and the Ibanez GB200 – just in between with some glue stains.
    Inside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-img_0090-jpg
    They all sound great but I'm afraid now I can never unsee this. At least I can show the pics to my Gibson if she complains about sloppy playing. ;-)

Maybe it just mean all that tidiness is over-rated. I’ll take that Gibson any day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Excuse me but that pic's obviously of a chambered body, so not a 175
    It was a special custom order, they relic’d the inside.

User Info Menu

Cool thread, thank you for starting it. Enjoying all your pics and stories and such. Difficult to get my phone up in there for optimal shots, so did the best I could.

Inside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-gibson_es125td-jpg
    Early 1960s Gibson ES-125TD

Inside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-gibson_jsmith-jpg
    Mid-1970s Gibson Johnny Smith (Kalamazoo label)

Inside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-harmony_h59iii-jpg
    1960s Harmony Rocket H59III

Inside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-yamaha_ae11-jpg
    Late 1960s Yamaha AE-11

Inside hollowbodys – lockdown boredom relief-ibanez_akjv95-jpg
    Recent Ibanez Artcore AKJV95 (Indonesia made)

User Info Menu

Anyone know how to get an iPhone out of a guitar with F holes? Asking for a friend...

User Info Menu

Interesting thread! I just spent 20 minutes finding out that I couldn't get any useful pictures of the inside of my 330L with an iPhone.

It sucks but Apple has well known incompatibility issues with Gibson.