The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hi folks.

I'm not a guitar man unfortunately so seeking some advice and a I was recommended this forum. I have a Gibson ES-175 made in 1964. I inherited it in 1993 and it has been in its case in the attic since then. I decided to sell it recently, and to make sure it was playable I brought it to a well respected luthier who repaired an angle issue with the neck which involved removing the neck, and the finish had to be slightly damaged to do this. He also did refret, as well as replace the nut (I still have this to include with the guitar because I know people like original things but assuming it's not worth anything). It is all original otherwise, original pickups and the finish though cracked which seems to be typical, has no major damage or chips. It is sunburst. Also has the original case. I want it to go to a player (hence the work) because it was special to someone once and I'd like it be used to make music and not sit in an attic like it has done for too long with me, but I would also like it to go for a fair price for both me and the buyer, the work carried out cost $800 . The luthier estimates $5000 to be a fair price. Would Gibson enthusiasts agree with that assessment?

Many thanks,

Tom

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Really hard to put any value on a guitar sight unseen. The tough part is, the work it needed done, takes it out of the collector market and puts it in the player market. There is typically less value and arguably buyers in that market. Without seeing it, it would seem like 5000.00 is a place to start. Ultimately the market decides the worth. Why don't you post it in the for sale section and see what the response is.

User Info Menu

The real value resides in the 1964 humbuckers, wiring harness, pots, caps, tuning machines. The 1964 humbuckers are close enough to the "magic" 1958-1960 PAFs to have value to those who hop up their Les Pauls. I would place a price of $2200 to $2600 on the humbuckers as a pair, $400 to $600 on the wiring harness, pots and caps.

The tailpiece might be worth $400. The pickguard might be worth $200 to someone who would reshape it for a Les Paul Custom or Goldtop.

The neck reset has damaged the value of the husk. Usually, these things are best left to the buyer to do as he wishes. Your repairing it adds no value and detracts from it, especially since you are not a player. Without looking at it, I would say the husk is worth $500 in its current state. You should have saved the $800.

I hate to suggest it but you may realise more value parting it out. Over to Hammertone...

User Info Menu

List it on Reverb for $5000
    its a be larger audience than here
    this is a tough crowd to sell to

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom175
    Hi folks.

I'm not a guitar man unfortunately so seeking some advice and a I was recommended this forum. I have a Gibson ES-175 made in 1964. I inherited it in 1993 and it has been in its case in the attic since then. I decided to sell it recently, and to make sure it was playable I brought it to a well respected luthier who repaired an angle issue with the neck which involved removing the neck, and the finish had to be slightly damaged to do this. He also did refret, as well as replace the nut (I still have this to include with the guitar because I know people like original things but assuming it's not worth anything). It is all original otherwise, original pickups and the finish though cracked which seems to be typical, has no major damage or chips. It is sunburst. Also has the original case. I want it to go to a player (hence the work) because it was special to someone once and I'd like it be used to make music and not sit in an attic like it has done for too long with me, but I would also like it to go for a fair price for both me and the buyer, the work carried out cost $800 . The luthier estimates $5000 to be a fair price. Would Gibson enthusiasts agree with that assessment?

Many thanks,

Tom
    Pictures would be helpful.

User Info Menu

Are you in the US? The price also depends on the country/continent.

User Info Menu

I the attic for 28 years. Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    The real value resides in the 1964 humbuckers, wiring harness, pots, caps, tuning machines. The 1964 humbuckers are close enough to the "magic" 1958-1960 PAFs to have value to those who hop up their Les Pauls. I would place a price of $2200 to $2600 on the humbuckers as a pair, $400 to $600 on the wiring harness, pots and caps.

The tailpiece might be worth $400. The pickguard might be worth $200 to someone who would reshape it for a Les Paul Custom or Goldtop.

The neck reset has damaged the value of the husk. Usually, these things are best left to the buyer to do as he wishes. Your repairing it adds no value and detracts from it, especially since you are not a player. Without looking at it, I would say the husk is worth $500 in its current state. You should have saved the $800.

I hate to suggest it but you may realise more value parting it out. Over to Hammertone...

User Info Menu

more than most
    i also have many years here
    let the world see it

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    I assume you dont have much experince with Reverb.

User Info Menu

About 3 years ago, I sold a 1963 ES-175D for $4500. Mine, like yours was a "players grade" instrument. Gibson has since discontinued the model, so I believe 5K is probably a fair price.

Please do not part it out. These fine old Gibson's should be kept as monuments to the days of exceptional guitar building that once took place in America.

User Info Menu

w out seeing it I think 5K is a good starting point as skyboyny suggests--you can always go down.
    And like Jabs said the neck reset hurts the valve. I wouldn't parr it out even though it might bring more in the end.
    One positive is its a '64, the same year as rock guitarist Steve Howe's famous guitar, so you may be able to sell it to a fan of his for more than say, a '65 model in the same shape.
    If it didn't need a neck reset I'd put it in the 5-6K range but as is I'd expect it to go between 4-5K or so.

User Info Menu

Please message me. thanks, Leopold

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold
    Please message me. thanks, Leopold

User Info Menu

Will you pls send some pix? I'm interested in buying this guitar. Have you got a price in mind?
    Leop.

User Info Menu

Maybe I am missing something, but IMHO a neck reset and a refret by a good luthier *increases* the value of an old guitar. They certainly don't make it a "players' grade" guitar.

Send it to archtop.com.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    Maybe I am missing something, but IMHO a neck reset and a refret by a good luthier *increases* the value of an old guitar. They certainly don't make it a "players' grade" guitar.

Send it to archtop.com.
    a well done neck reset is more acceptable as normal maintenance in an old Martin flattop for example, but an archtop w/ a floating bridge that requires a neck reset would surely benefit it from a playability standpoint, but unfortunately does devalue the guitar a bit even if well done, especially an old collectible example, that is if one cares about such things. just depends if you're buying as a collectible or you're a player that just wants a great sounding old axe and is willing to overlook some issues

`

Hi,
    I am in the process of trying to purchase a 1964 as well and will be very happy if you could tell me how much you paid in order for me to determine the fair value.
    I hope it's not too confidential.
    Otherwise Messenger is good just look for Keith Patel.
    Or mail me on keithpatel53@gmail.com
    Thanking you in anticipation of your reply.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KeithPatel53
    Hi,
    I am in the process of trying to purchase a 1964 as well and will be very happy if you could tell me how much you paid in order for me to determine the fair value.
    I hope it's not too confidential.
    Otherwise Messenger is good just look for Keith Patel.
    Or mail me on keithpatel53@gmail.com
    Thanking you in anticipation of your reply.