The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Hi all. In the market for a 335. Couple questions.

Since there are few dealers in my area that carry more than a single new model, I’m wondering how to best find one online.

What are the notable spec differences in 335s from the 90s, 2000s, and last ten years? I understand they stopped making them with Grover tuners, and they also had a slim neck in 2016-18??

Any common manufacturing issues from certain years to watch out for?

finally, whats the going price on them for these generations? I feel like many folks online are asking too much, basically trying to get nearly “new” price. Specifically talking about Dots in the under 3k price range. Looking for that Adam Rogers tone.

thanks so much guys.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MHoranzy
    ... they also had a slim neck in 2016-18??
    I've got a 2016 Memphis standard (as standard as it gets - not a faded or a quilted top or a studio or whatever else), and the neck's not slim, on the contrary. BUT - the nut is 42mm wide, or should I say narrow? 1-2mm narrower than "golden standard" of 43mm and some.

Does it matter? To me - nah, I live with it and suffer. To you? Don't really know, some people go bonkers over such a detail.

User Info Menu

People who would not normally be interested in a 335 will go crazy over a black or red example (much like the British taste for wine gums).

User Info Menu

I had a 2013 50th Anniversary ‘63 Reissue VOS (Memphis). It was a stunning reproduction, which looked and felt just like an original. The colour was exactly right and the neck felt perfect. I really wanted to love the guitar, but the amplified sound did not suit me at all. Perhaps it was the burstbucker pickups, but the controls also acted strangely. The volume rolled off to almost nothing and robbed the tone when you set the volume control anywhere below about 8 or 9. I expect this is related to some sort of attempt to recreate vintage wiring, but I have never had that with vintage Gibsons that I have owned. I’m sure it could have been corrected with replacement of some electronics and/or pickups, but I wasn’t willing to go down that road. I was disappointed because the guitar was so attractive. I ended up selling it for less than it was worth.
    Keith
    Gibson ES-335 question-0086d891-2a0d-4fd9-8e5f-f8820c12ac49-jpg

User Info Menu

A friend of mine has an early 90s sunburst dot neck. It has classic 57 pickups, grovers, and a "slim taper" neck. I don't know the nut width, but just by feel it seems like the normal 1-11/16" width to me. The neck itself (and fingerboard width) stays fairly slim all the way up, but not skinny to the point of feeling cramped or impeding fingerstyle playing. The top has some nice figuring. I don't know prices on these, other than what one can see on Reverb and eBay.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    I had a 2013 50th Anniversary ‘63 Reissue VOS (Memphis). It was a stunning reproduction, which looked and felt just like an original. The colour was exactly right and the neck felt perfect.
    Gibson ES-335 question-0086d891-2a0d-4fd9-8e5f-f8820c12ac49-jpg
    That color *is* just right. Plenty of visible grain.

User Info Menu

I have a 2014 version from Memphis in the figured sunburst that I really like. These are the specs on it: Gibson 2014 ES-335 Figured Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend. I just did a quick reverb search and you are right the prices do seem to be really high on these for some reason.

One of the biggest differences in specs in this era is the 57 classics vs the burstbucker. I'm definitely more a fan of the 57s, but that could just be personal.

Early in the 2010's ( I think 2011-2012 maybe?) they had some with baked maple fretboards after they were raided for importing rosewood. I would avoid those, but I really like the 2013-2015 ones that came after.

User Info Menu

I recently purchased a 1997 Gibson ES-335 Dot from a local store which I really like. I prefer to play guitars before buying them if possible which I was able to do in this case. It plays really well and sounds great. It's sunburst, has Grovers, and 57 classic pickups. This guitar really can be used for all kinds of music including mainstream jazz (okay, maybe not classical ). I paid $2200 out the door which I felt was a good deal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    That color *is* just right. Plenty of visible grain.
    I agree. It sure was a pretty guitar. Maybe I should have tried to find a tech who could sort out the electronics, but I don’t like to modify guitars.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Even within the same spec or year they vary, so play before you buy! Or make sure to get a 48 hour return!
    I've owned various newer or recent 335's. All were very good, a couple were outstanding!
    My USA 2019 sounds better acoustically than my old 1958 Memphis Historic ES-335 VOS. But not better than my Memphis Historic 1963 Cherry.

Again it also depends on your preferences as well, as far as neck shape,pickups,etc. My advice is buy newer than older, and look for your best deal!