The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Anyone no what is happening at Gibson? Have they cut back production?

I know they closed Memphis and US is struggling (understatement) re COVID19 but trying to find a new ES-335 is almost impossible. Seems like there are more original 1959's around.

I have played 7 2020 model's and only 1 was as good as the 2017 and 2018 models, and it was really good but came in 'weird burst'. I wish I bought one of those 2018 ones even though they had the smaller neck.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

no as in know

User Info Menu

If one really wants to know, why not call one of their big dealers? Cut out the middle man.

Filter: Gibson Custom Shop,
    Sort: Price High to low.
    Electric Guitars Gibson Custom Shop | The Music Zoo

Lots of Les Pauls, one fancy ES-335. That ratio is not something new since the early 2000s at least.

Les Paul Inventory | Wildwood Guitars

Gibson Custom Shop and Memphis Hollowbody and Semi-Hollowbody Series Guitars | Electrics - Gibson Custom Shop | Wildwood Guitars

User Info Menu

Checked one of the largest European dealers

Semiacoustic Guitars – Thomann UK

Seems like they're out of stock with regards to 335s, but within the non-custom shop ranges it looks like there is plenty of stock in a week or two. The CS stuff won't be there for a couple of months it seems.

I'm guessing that it's probably rooted in the fact that they're closed down the Memphis factory and now have moved production to Nashville .. Logistics not quite in place yet? ... Maybe give them a year or two to find their legs again?

User Info Menu

I've said this before so forgive my blathering on. I recently purchased a 2019 Gibson USA ES-335 Vintage Sunburst. It actually is one of the best 335's I've ever owned, regardless of Vintage ,CS. , Memphis etc.
    And I've owned many from all eras.

Am I dissaponted Gibson no longer making Archtops and o the Jazz models? You Bet! But don't let anyone tell you the new Gibson's are inferior.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57

Am I dissaponted Gibson no longer making Archtops
    But they are, right?

User Info Menu

I've said this before so forgive my blathering on. I recently purchased a 2019 Gibson USA ES-335 Vintage Sunburst. It actually is one of the best 335's I've ever owned, regardless of Vintage ,CS. , Memphis etc.
    And I've owned many from all eras.

Am I dissaponted Gibson no longer making Archtops and o the Jazz models? You Bet! But don't let anyone tell you the new Gibson's are inferior.

What pup's did that 335 come with?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    But they are, right?

Nope ... Seems like they're not

RIP Gibson Archtop guitar

User Info Menu

Calibrated T pickups which seem just right to my ears! I've had the Memphis PAF s in a couple different Historics and Classic 57s in some others.
    These Claibrated Ts seem to find a better balance with both pickups as opposed to the Classic 57s being a little more mid heavy. And the Memphis PAF ones being a great neck pickup but a bit enemic on the bridge for my ears.

User Info Menu

As far as carved tops and 175s Im not sure they are currently being made. There might be some old stock being sold?

User Info Menu

Calibrated T pickups which seem just right to my ears! I've had the Memphis PAF s in a couple different Historics and Classic 57s in some others.
    These Claibrated Ts seem to find a better balance with both pickups as opposed to the Classic 57s being a little more mid heavy. And the Memphis PAF ones being a great neck pickup but a bit enemic on the bridge for my ears.
    OK, found it .. also available in a 60s cherry
    Gibson ES-335 Dot 60s Cherry – Thomann UK

Also available slightly cheaper in a satin finish .. I like the natural version best
    Gibson ES-335 Satin Vintage Natural – Thomann UK

Decisions .. Decisions ???

Thx Jads!

User Info Menu

I think it has to do with people being bored, saving, and buying guitars like crazy. Most online retailers seem to be back-ordered on most models...

User Info Menu

Best buys are if you go,Gibson USA( buy as new as possible) Otherwise Memphis and then Historic are also great. As in all things each guitar is slightly different.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Nope ... Seems like they're not

RIP Gibson Archtop guitar

Post #23. Seems that went right past folks. That same doomsdsay fear/claim has happened before.

There's an old saying about assumptions, how does that go again? :0

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I think it has to do with people being bored, saving, and buying guitars like crazy. Most online retailers seem to be back-ordered on most models...
    You're on to something.

For those fortunate enough to work from home and cease all the spending on eating (and drinking) out, gasoline, auto maintenance, vacations etc., you name it - plus being stuck at home... really helps one change their focus to something like guitar playing, and yes, purchasing.

User Info Menu

Not only Gibson's are out of stock, if you look at Thomann, who normally have a lot of instruments in stock, I you search in "Jazz guitar
    " category, if you simply fllter "in stock", only 17 guitars out of 170 or so (all brands) come out.
    And it's the same thing for tube combos, if you want something a little higher grade.
    I'm really interested in the Mesa Boogie fillmore 25, and it's been weeks I can't find it anywhere here in Europe (and Thomann has been stuck on the "by 2 to 3 weeks in stock" since then)
    So I think the more the Covid thing is here, the more we see the economical consequences, is not just Gibson

User Info Menu

Well actually, thinking about it, Gibson has just bought Mesa Boogie.. Might explain why I can't find the Fillmore 25 anywhere

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    ...but within the non-custom shop ranges it looks like there is plenty of stock in a week or two. The CS stuff won't be there for a couple of months it seems.
    Wouldn't count on Thomann's guesstimate. They routinely write "4-5 weeks" for everything they don't have in stock. Then, when the time is up, they just re-set the timer to "4-5 weeks".

I've been waiting on a Gibson ES-335 case from Thomann FOR A YEAR ALREADY. It's, however, always just "4-5 weeks" away.

As far as the difficult question - why Gibson needs a year to make anything - I can only guesstimate the answers.

User Info Menu

Just speculating the guitars are probably made much faster than that on an individual basis, but it's a matter of output vs. demand. (backlog of orders)

A situation not unlike doing business with a custom luthier, who may take 18 months from time of order. Some classical guitar luthiers take 3+ years.