The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 65 of 65

User Info Menu

Digitech Jam Man loopers utilize the optional 3-button separate foot-pedal to make live playing easier, including 1-button stop, and it's internal memory storage is only limited by the capacity of the card. I have one card that has at least 2 hours of saved loops and backing tracks, and there's room for more. you can carry literally over 100 tracks in that one small pedal. I have created a small collection of cards for different gigs with singers or other duo partners.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmanstever
    Can anyone recommend a looper pedal that can record a loop and then end the loop recording without automatically starting playback right away? The old BOSS RC-20XL has that capability. It has a separate record and stop button. Do any of the newer looper pedals offer that feature? I'd like to keep the price under $200 (US) if possible. Thanks!

The EH 720 has this very option that you seek; and some other thoughtful features that checked all the boxes for me personally.

User Info Menu

I bought EHX 22500 recently, as an upgrade from Boss RC-1. It's a very smart box which can do a lot and I can't recommend it enough. It can be a bit hard to control since it has a lot of modes/settings and its behaviour can change considerably with each of the options, though.

It can stop the loop at the end of the recording and can provide you a separate end button if you set it up this way. (E.g. you set either the loop A or B (it's a dual channel looper) as a "one off" and you don't use the rhythm guide) Speaking of the end button, consult the page 12 of the manual: https://www.ehx.com/wp-content/uploa...500-manual.pdf

A new one is not under USD200 either - I bought used for 180 (give or take, depending on exchange rate).

User Info Menu

I wound up with the EHX 720 and the price is definitely in my budget.
    It's working out perfectly for simple looping for live gigs either solo or duo with a vocalist etc..
    I don't really like working with pre-recorded loops, I still like to feel that everything is done on the spot.
    Thanks everyone for your input.

User Info Menu

The RC-500 is great for duo and solo gigs, but you have to find it used as it costs more than 200 new! But it has two loops and 3 buttons that you can program to do pretty much anything you want. I use the second loop as a percussive groove loop usually, or the two loops as verse chorus. Works great! If you gig with it it's totally worth the extra $$

Most of the one button loopers can take an external switch that can help with recording and then stopping. But i never found a live use for that, if you record the loop early on, the tempo you are playing might change a bit, so it would sound weird if you start the loop later. I usually record it during the other instruments solo, then play over it, solo or comping for a bit..

User Info Menu

Anybody try the “new” Boss RC-10R? Looper plus drum machine with some jazz drum settings.

User Info Menu

I have the RC 600. The drum stuff I
    is more impressive then I assumed it would be. However, it is still a bit generic, and I end up writing my own midi patterns. Transferring them over to the RC 600 is easy enough.

I do still prefer pre-recoded loops, however that in part is about how much work it takes to get a midi track to sound good. That has to do with, fixing all my finger drumming mistakes, and then adjusting everything to feel human: amplitude, and timing.

User Info Menu

Check out the Donner two button model - only about $100 on Amazon. Has lots of recording time and loop storage plus a built in drum machine that will sync with the loops. Pretty easy to operate, has a USB connection, and won't break the bank. It's called the 'Circle Looper'. Lots of YT vids.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    Check out the Donner two button model - only about $100 on Amazon. Has lots of recording time and loop storage plus a built in drum machine that will sync with the loops. Pretty easy to operate, has a USB connection, and won't break the bank. It's called the 'Circle Looper'. Lots of YT vids.
    Wow that looks great and for $100 why not give it a shot. How are the jazz drum tracks?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    Wow that looks great and for $100 why not give it a shot. How are the jazz drum tracks?
    Haven't used it for awhile - I'll try to fire it up this week and let you know.

User Info Menu

Boomerang. I know. It's not cheap. But it's well built. You read the reviews on TC Electronics, Pigtronix, etc. and it's like... sheez... do 50% of those boxes break in the first few months?

A 'Rang will do everything you'll ever want, the buttons are nifty, and you won't have to replace it in six months because it crapped out.

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    Anybody try the “new” Boss RC-10R? Looper plus drum machine with some jazz drum settings.
    Yes I've had one of these since they came out and it's really cool. What I find special isn't necessarily that's it's a looper + drum in one pedal...it's that the loop and the drum can SYNC rhymically so you don't need to be perfect with ending your loop. That's really slick. Also, a huge perk is that you can set it up for normal direct into a flat speaker/monitor, or there is a guitar setting which voices the drums to sound better through the eq curve of a guitar amp's speaker.

The biggest cons are: no 3/4 jazz ballad only 4/4, what? And the drum package is mostly fine but there are several rhythms which I find a little strange and done see myself ever using. I haven't noticed any expansion of the library from Boss but I haven't looked in a while. Lastly, it can take a minute to learn the foot controls but once you get it, it's no sweat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    Haven't used it for awhile - I'll try to fire it up this week and let you know.
    Found a demo that ran through the rhythms - didn't hear much in the way of swing but there's something like 10 settings for jazz and some more for funk.

User Info Menu

I have a proper Pigtronix Infinity and I like it. However, I've been using a minimal pedal board lately and wanted something.. less. Been using this LEKATO single button for a couple of months and I really like it. $40. Great sound quality (24 bit A/D's and apparently decent circuits), works fine, no issues. And it's small with relatively low power requirements.

Amazon.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LimehouseBlues
    Yes I've had one of these since they came out and it's really cool. What I find special isn't necessarily that's it's a looper + drum in one pedal...it's that the loop and the drum can SYNC rhymically so you don't need to be perfect with ending your loop
    Interesting….could you explain a little more how this works? I can play to DrumGenius okay….I think….but if I try and record a loop along with it things get wonky real fast while playing back the loop together with DrumGenius.