The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I have been looking for a reasonably (?) priced mahogany-sides-and-back era (1980-1990?) ES-175. Not many (reasonably priced) here in EU.

Apparently some guitars of that era have 1-piece neck while others have 3-piece (?) neck.

Is there some consensus which is better or worse or as good as another? Is another construction more stable or unstable?

Thanks for the shared knowledge already!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've got a 1990 ES-175, mahogany back and sides - one-piece mahogany neck. Slim, though.

Necks of the mahogany era ES-175s-16-jpg

User Info Menu

Has anybody any experience on those multi piece necks?

According the seller this is from 1981.
    Attached Images Attached Images Necks of the mahogany era ES-175s-e6564081-c56c-4888-89ff-7a887a05d53d-jpeg 

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie

The mahogany Es 175 was not made until 1982. So a 1981 ES 175 is not likely to have mahogany back and sides.

Nothing wrong with mahogany multi piece necks. Seems to be they may well be more stable than one piece necks but correct me if I am wrong there.

My 1982 mahogany ES175 with multi piece neck is a very stable guitar.

DB

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    The mahogany Es 175 was not made until 1982. So a 1981 ES 175 is not likely to have mahogany back and sides.

Nothing wrong with mahogany multi piece necks. Seems to be they may well be more stable than one piece necks but correct me if I am wrong there.

My 1982 mahogany ES175 with multi piece neck is a very stable guitar.

DB

I didn’t know that...I bought a 175 in college and always thought it was a 1980, but might have been a later year. (Pretty sure I bought it in the fall of ‘81 though.) It was definitely mahogany. I don’t remember the neck construction.

Always looking for an excuse to show off old photos...gosh I was a child back then!

Necks of the mahogany era ES-175s-ffab73c9-9da5-438b-9466-3cad62491222-jpg
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 01-31-2021 at 11:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Well, there are oddities in life, and oddities in guitars))). Not ranting at all, but dates and construction standards in Gibson do vary. Especially since you’re talking 81 vs. 82, where an 82 spec could have easily slipped out as an 81. Actually they vary in Fender, others too. If some prototypes are laying around ready to ship.or some runs that didn’t work out or whatever, the company will ship them.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Well, there are oddities in life, and oddities in guitars))). Not ranting at all, but dates and construction standards in Gibson do vary. Especially since you’re talking 81 vs. 82, where an 82 spec could have easily slipped out as an 81. Actually they vary in Fender, others too. If some prototypes are laying around ready to ship.or some runs that didn’t work out or whatever, the company will ship them.
    Mine is an oddity alrady beacuse all internet sources state that the mahogany ES 175s were produced from 1983 until 1990 and mine is a later 1982 model. I have never heard of a 1981 mahogany ES 175 though ... that would be an oddity even among the oddities. Necks of the mahogany era ES-175s

DB

User Info Menu

Looks like a stained maple neck to me...

User Info Menu

1988 hog neck: 1 piece.

Necks of the mahogany era ES-175s-8c55be00-d488-4ed0-8d6f-31f200dfed7f-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Looks like a stained maple neck to me...
    Ah, interesting. Good to remind that they exist too (I have always felt uncomfortable with maple neck Gibsons...)!

So is this stained maple back? The same 1981 ES175.

Necks of the mahogany era ES-175s-es175mahogback1981-jpg

User Info Menu

Ah, interesting. Good to remind that they exist too (I have always felt uncomfortable with maple neck Gibsons...)!

So is this stained maple back? The same 1981 ES175.

Necks of the mahogany era ES-175s-es175mahogback1981-jpg
    I would say yes. I have a 1978/9 ES 355 and the stained maple looks just like that. And: nothing wrong with maple necks: remember that the top of the line Gibson archtops always featured maple necks (and three or even five piece necks as well...)

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    I would say yes. I have a 1978/9 ES 355 and the stained maple looks just like that.
    Both neck and back are maple. In that case sides too. So an all maple 175. Stained maple looks a bit like mahogany but only from far.

DB

Dutchbopper Guest
    Both neck and back are maple. In that case sides too. So an all maple 175. Stained maple looks a bit like mahogany but only from far.

DB

Click here to see what a maho back and sides really looks like .... That's my 175. Vid below.

DB

User Info Menu

DB
    Oh, that's good to know.

Luckily the seller didn't want to ship it internationally so I saved my money and can keep on waiting for the real one!

Dutchbopper Guest
    Oh, that's good to know.

Luckily the seller didn't want to ship it internationally so I saved my money and can keep on waiting for the real one!
    If you make sure the guitar was made between 1983 and 1990 it is most likely a maho 175 (though mine is a late 82 and an oddity in that respect).

The only maple on a maho 175 should be the top.

DB

User Info Menu

Mine is an oddity alrady beacuse all internet sources state that the mahogany ES 175s were produced from 1983 until 1990 and mine is a later 1982 model. I have never heard of a 1981 mahogany ES 175 though ... that would be an oddity even among the oddities. Necks of the mahogany era ES-175s

DB

I had an 82 that was maple, but had a mahogany neck and plastic single ring tuner buttons had no volute and it had a sunburst back. So there was some transitioning in 82. Every 81 that I have seen had the brown stained back, metal buttons, a maple neck and a volute.