Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    I've had it for 8 years now. It's my all-purpose Pop guitar. It's ergonomically excellent: light and acoustically airy for a semi-hollow, love the neck, setup is darn near perfect (with 11's). The (Godin/Asian) pickups are a bit polite, though. I wonder if I might like something clearer and twangier - Fralin Twangbuckers, Dimarzio EJ Customs, or Lollartons for a 1/2 & 1/2 PAF/Filtertron vibe. Also, the vintage-style Kluson-clone tuners are just OK, though tuning stability is not an issue.

    So:

    1) If I got new tuners, I wouldn't want them to be heavier, as the balance with a strap is just right.

    2) New pickups? I'm somewhat reluctant to go down that rabbit hole, as I don't want to be changing pickups more than once, and it seems that there's no way to know if I'll really like a given set until they're installed.

    Two other considerations:

    1) I play it through a Henriksen Bud 6 (bright switch on, tweeter off) and a Henriksen JazzAmp 112 (with a Carl Martin Quattro and Rock Bug for 'Classic' Rock).

    2) I have an Eastman AR-403ce for straight-ahead Jazz. I also have an electro-acoustic for the faux 'unplugged' thing.

    Any thoughts/suggestions other than, "Buy, buy, buy!"?

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    I'd consider better PAF but don't go to any of those brighter "tron" sorts. I've used most of them all and they're all pretty good but it won't feel like the same guitar at all and somehow I don't thing that's what you want.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Thanks, Jim - you may be right. I guess I'd just like a bit more clarity and definition (sparkle?) with maybe a touch more attitude (upper midrange). I'm not looking to turn it into a Gretsch (or a Fender).

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    filtertrons being slightly lower output have nice clarity...but can also get nice rich low end..very dependent on guitar and amp settings....a filtertron thru an old gretsch mud switch approaches bass guitar dynamics!


    check tv jones pickups..he's the master when it comes to filtertron type pickups...gretsch uses his pickups!

    he makes a variety of that style pickup in various mounting sizes....look here-

    Pickup Advisor

    cheers

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Hi Tom,

    Consider Seymour Duncan P-Rails configured with Triple Shot switches and a mild drive pedal (e.g. TC Electronic Mojomojo).

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    I think a mini-humbucker might get you close to what you want. But if it has full-sized HBs, you have to worry about that gap.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    Thanks, Jim - you may be right. I guess I'd just like a bit more clarity and definition (sparkle?) with maybe a touch more attitude (upper midrange). I'm not looking to turn it into a Gretsch (or a Fender).
    I think you might be shocked at the improvement you'd get from any of the respected name brand PAF's. And if you want something evenbrighter than that, consider a Lollar low-wind Imperial.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Thanks again, Jim. This 'project' is still in the mental incubation stage, but I think I want a PAF style pickup with a bit of twang and more pronounced attack than the stock pickups. (They're not bad, but again, I'd characterize them as 'polite'.) I want a very clear low end and a punchy high end. Based on the amps I play through, I'm not looking for something that will hit the front end of the amp hard. Everyone - keep the suggestions coming!

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    +1 I can not say enough about the Lollar Imperial low wind pickups. And if some reason you don't like them the resale value is high as they are in demand.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I think you might be shocked at the improvement you'd get from any of the respected name brand PAF's. And if you want something evenbrighter than that, consider a Lollar low-wind Imperial.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    Thanks again, Jim. This 'project' is still in the mental incubation stage, but I think I want a PAF style pickup with a bit of twang and more pronounced attack than the stock pickups. (They're not bad, but again, I'd characterize them as 'polite'.) I want a very clear low end and a punchy high end. Based on the amps I play through, I'm not looking for something that will hit the front end of the amp hard. Everyone - keep the suggestions coming!
    You've just described the Lollar low wind Imperial pretty much perfectly.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Aha! Then the Lollar Low Wind Imperial is now #1 on my list!
    But, Jim, you've expressed a liking for the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary in the past? What about that one?

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    An EQ pedal (I use a Dano Fish&Chips.), especially combined with a mild OD, like a Mojomojo, can work wonders with too polite pedals.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    Aha! Then the Lollar Low Wind Imperial is now #1 on my list!
    But, Jim, you've expressed a liking for the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary in the past? What about that one?
    I love it but it's not me that you're trying to please. The 36th Anniversary is on the hotter end of the PAF range (and the standard wind Imperial is even hotter). Humbucker technology is pretty straight forward in that way. Hotter (or even warmer) usually means you give up some high end sparkle in exchange for output. You're looking for a brighter pickup without a lot of output but still in the PAF range. That's the low-wind Imperial.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Hi Tom,

    Consider Seymour Duncan P-Rails configured with Triple Shot switches and a mild drive pedal (e.g. TC Electronic Mojomojo).
    I was just looking at the Montreal Premiere LTD:



    Just not a fan of the Bigsby.

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Thanks still again, Jim - now I'm convinced!
    BDLH - mine looks like this - the sunburst one is my actual guitar:
    Thinking about upgrading my Montreal Premiere ... maybe-godin-montreal-premiere-x-2-jpg

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    I have a Montreal Premiere.
    I ditched the original pickups and installed a set of Gibson 57/57+.
    BIG improvement.
    Much richer and resonant. I have the same pick-ups in a Epiphone Johnny A. They really work in a hollow/semi-hollow body guitar. I used the Gibby pups as I yanked them out of a Les Paul. They were too dark in that guitar.
    I would expect other similar PAF pups like a Seth Lover would work just as well.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I was just looking at the Montreal Premiere LTD:



    Just not a fan of the Bigsby.
    I tried the version of this with regular humbuckers. I thought it sounded really good, but I found the Bigsby arm interfered with access to the knobs pretty much no matter where I put it, and it rendered the guitar very frustrating for me to play. This was much more noticeable than on the Gretsches I've tried.

    John

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    I've been forcing myself to sit on this project until I felt sure I wanted to go forward. I've decided to wait till Tuesday morning and then (almost certainly) pull the trigger. I've got Glenn at Mockingbird Music (MockingBird Music Company - About) - he restored my new-old banjo last summer - lined up to do the work once I have the parts: Lollar Low-wind Imperials, Switchcraft PU switch and knob, Kluson Revolution tuners - will also have him make sure that the nut is dead solid perfect with the D'Addario NY XL 11's I use. Stay tuned!

    Update: Just ordered Low-wind Imperials, Kluson 3+3 Revolution Series G-Mount Tuners (should fit the existing mounting holes), Switchcraft PU switch & knob. Will keep you posted.
    Last edited by Tom Karol; 02-16-2021 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Update