The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Godin Guitars Launches the Godin Nylon Series | Premier Guitar

I don't know the significance of this but it is interesting

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

La Patrie was always a sub-brand of the company. Seagull, Art and Lutherie, Simon & Patrick are all sub-brands of Godin guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson
    Godin Guitars Launches the Godin Nylon Series | Premier Guitar

I don't know the significance of this but it is interesting
    That's a shame. Now they'll have to find a new name for their kid's model. Enfants de La Patrie won't really make sense anymore.

John

User Info Menu

I'm guessing Godin is finally figuring out that the Godin name itself carries the most weight, and having numerous "sub brands" doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Hey, maybe my pre-Godin Etude is worth big bucks now

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Hey, maybe my pre-Godin Etude is worth big bucks now
    I wonder if we’re going to start hearing the obligatory “My vintage La Patrie is better than the new Godins.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    La Patrie was always a sub-brand of the company. Seagull, Art and Lutherie, Simon & Patrick are all sub-brands of Godin guitars.
    and Norman.

User Info Menu

All these sub-brands and Godin models are marketed as handcrafted in Canada yet they are priced like Asian made guitars. Prices are pretty much on a par with Epiphone with the exception of a couple of more expensive Godin models like Montreal Premiere.

I wonder how they manage to keep the costs of many of these sub-brands as low as Asian manufactured guitars. Any scoop on that?
    Last edited by Tal_175; 01-26-2021 at 02:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Le Parti Québécois will be livid.

User Info Menu

All these sub-brands and Godin models are marketed as handcrafted in Canada yet they are priced like Asian made guitars. Prices are pretty much on a par with Epiphone with the exception of a couple of more expensive Godin models like Montreal Premiere.

I wonder how they manage to keep as costs of many of these sub-brands as low as Asian manufactured guitars. Any scoop on that?
    Lots of alternative woods and materials, minimum of glossy finishes and "bling." Very "plain" instruments, but high quality, solidly built stuff.

I also think "handmade" is a bit of a stretch, more like "hand gone over after being built on an assembly line," but Godin has kind of mastered that end of it--very consistent quality stuff, and they turn out a LOT of guitars.

User Info Menu

Still playing my classical on an old Kamouraska(Was the brand name before La Patrie).
    Last edited by DS71; 01-27-2021 at 11:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Le Parti Québécois will be livid.
    I never know what is going to happen there next: Husband on leash breached Quebec'''s Covid curfew - BBC News
    Last edited by BigDaddyLoveHandles; 01-26-2021 at 06:55 PM.

I’m seriously considering a Motif. Played one once and was amazed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Lots of alternative woods and materials, minimum of glossy finishes and "bling." Very "plain" instruments, but high quality, solidly built stuff.

I also think "handmade" is a bit of a stretch, more like "hand gone over after being built on an assembly line," but Godin has kind of mastered that end of it--very consistent quality stuff, and they turn out a LOT of guitars.
    I think it shows you can make quality guitars at a reasonable price in North America, as long as they don’t have too much bling and prestige, i.e., collectibility, attached to them.

User Info Menu

I wonder how they manage to keep the costs of many of these sub-brands as low as Asian manufactured guitars. Any scoop on that?
    There is some interesting factory tour video out there. Godin uses a lot of automated fabrication and finishing processes, and their hand-labour processes rely heavily on jigs that speed the process up as well as support consistency. Shiny finishes and lots of bling are huge parts of manufacturing cost, and they don't have a lot of that. They use a lot of locally-sourced wood as well as composites that I think also keep costs down. I don't like their products for the most part, but I do like how they appear to run their business.