The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Anyone have / had or played one? Just curious about them and I figured fanboy factor may be minimized on this forum ??

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paul s.
    Anyone have / had or played one? Just curious about them and I figured fanboy factor may be minimized on this forum ??
    No, but I know a guy with a Phred (Languedoc copy) and its fantastic, so I can only imagine the real thing...

User Info Menu

I remember looking at those and a competitor's Langueclones on the interwebz. The reviews were all over the place but some of the demos sounded pretty good.

Phred seems to be going upscale:

Reprise Guitar. PHRED instruments - Shop

Edit- the Phred Reprise vs. the Phred Dockstar:

Last edited by Cunamara; 01-28-2021 at 01:29 AM.

That phred looks decent. I remember seeing him say that all the clones of his guitar sucked but I’d bet these are quality instruments. I wonder who does the production? Peerless?

User Info Menu

I think the less expensive Phreds are made in China and then QC'd here in the United States. The more expensive ones, however, might be made by a factory that we've actually heard of. Looking at the photos on the Phred website, the more expensive ones certainly look several levels above in terms of craftsmanship.

User Info Menu

Another perhaps more accomplished builder is in Central America, equator instruments

Equator Instruments - custom hollowbody guitars

he does a range of guitars from solid, laminated and fully carved instruments that are drop dead gorgeous, looking at his website you can see his gallery is rather out of date. But he’s very active on Facebook, simply search

Equator Instruments
    Last edited by Crm114; 01-27-2021 at 12:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Don't waste your time with Equator unless you want to wait a long time for an incomplete guitar.

Beware of David Coleman aka Equator instruments | The Gear Page

User Info Menu

There was another brand of Clonedocs.... Olladoc or something like that? ISTR they were from Central or South America, so maybe the same guy with Equator- in both cases the main marketing technique seemed to be "bash Phred." The Olladoc demos I've seen on YouTube don't sound good to me, but there are so many variables there that it's impossible to know if the sound of the video even approximates the real sound.

Edit- different guy, this guy's name is JM Olson. So apparently there are at least three makers building Languedoc style guitars. Not including the original.

there's a 30 sec YouTube clip of Trey playing somebody's Phred Dockstar.
    Last edited by Cunamara; 01-28-2021 at 05:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Never heard of them .. but oh ... 15k?

Paul Languedoc G2 Electric Hollowbody Guitar | The Official | Reverb

That is Monteleone territorry?

Looks nice tho' ... if you can afford 15k then why not?

User Info Menu

He was the sound guy of Phish, and used to build guitars on the side. Gone full time i guess after Phish broke up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Never heard of them .. but oh ... 15k?

Paul Languedoc G2 Electric Hollowbody Guitar | The Official | Reverb

That is Monteleone territorry?

Looks nice tho' ... if you can afford 15k then why not?
    it was also owned by Mike Gordon, bassist for Phish. For some potential customers that would add to the price tag somewhat.

User Info Menu

I have a Phred one fo the ealry ones..its decent get the job done..i upgraded the pickups, pots, bridge tuners...etc..lol. I got it for 600. You know its a great grab and go, throw it in the car for traveling..thats what i pretty much use it for. If it get stolen, broken ..o well. it wasn't my Victor baker, benedetto. etc..

Ive emailed Paul Laungudoc for over 10 years to get on the list...Crickets...Back when they were 10k..now they are 15k+ i believe. its funny too..you see these guys with two of them!! wtf...i call this group the doctor and lawyers crew..no offense to doc and lawyers but they seem to be the only ones getting them ahhaa.

I think practically speaking prob have to have some connection to him or the band. I’d rather work with someone like victor baker, who as I understand is more than happy to chat with potential buyers, and is a good player in his own right. I also suspect a lot of the guys seeking these are unaware that there are numerous other high end boutique builders.

User Info Menu

Well, they are probably looking to re-create Trey's signal chain as closely as they can. Not only the guitar, but the cables he uses, pedals, amps, speaker cabinets, etc.

This is also fairly common in the Deadhead guitarist world, two: picking an era of Jerry and then duplicating that rig as closely as possible (it would be a little hard to duplicate the Wall of Sound, however). Guitars that are built to duplicate Jerry's (usually Alligator, Wolf, Tiger, sometimes Rosebud and rarely his later instruments by Stephen Cripes) are known as Jerrycasters. There are arguments over which unity gain buffer is best. I don't know how many of them are using a Fender Twin as a preamp and then a McIntosh power amp into a Hard Truckers cab with three JBLs, but if you wanted to be really authentic that's what you need to do.

There are a handful of folks doing the same with Bob's guitars and rigs, but there it's difficult as for quite a while Bob used an amp called the Godzilla and there was only one or two of them ever made. Predictably these are known as Bobbycasters. And there are probably even a few folks trying to duplicate Phils rig; most of those are probably using Alembic basses.

$15k... +$65 shipping lol

User Info Menu

Eastwood have the 'Classic 6 TA PH', in natural and sunburst. £1337 here in the UK. $1550 in the US.

Classic 6 TA PH
    – Eastwood Guitars

Languedoc (ie trey anastasio’s) guitars-phish2_1800x1800-png-jpg

User Info Menu

Chris Forshage made a version for a customer.

Nice

User Info Menu

I've never tried a Languedoc, but my friend Ben Bruton has been building his own version for years. I can't say enough good things about Ben's work. I played the guitar featured on the video (Universal) when it was completed, and it was incredible.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Well, they are probably looking to re-create Trey's signal chain as closely as they can. Not only the guitar, but the cables he uses, pedals, amps, speaker cabinets, etc.

This is also fairly common in the Deadhead guitarist world, two: picking an era of Jerry and then duplicating that rig as closely as possible (it would be a little hard to duplicate the Wall of Sound, however). Guitars that are built to duplicate Jerry's (usually Alligator, Wolf, Tiger, sometimes Rosebud and rarely his later instruments by Stephen Cripes) are known as Jerrycasters. There are arguments over which unity gain buffer is best. I don't know how many of them are using a Fender Twin as a preamp and then a McIntosh power amp into a Hard Truckers cab with three JBLs, but if you wanted to be really authentic that's what you need to do.

There are a handful of folks doing the same with Bob's guitars and rigs, but there it's difficult as for quite a while Bob used an amp called the Godzilla and there was only one or two of them ever made. Predictably these are known as Bobbycasters. And there are probably even a few folks trying to duplicate Phils rig; most of those are probably using Alembic basses.
    I heard a concert yesterday by Dead and Company featuring John Mayer playing Wolf. Sounded quite decent, in fact 90% of the time he plays extremely Jerry-esque.

Prediction: Bob will retire in the next 1-2 years, and they'll bring in a new Bob. It'll be like the Allman Brothers Band--not a specific group of players, but a corporation. And our kids won't care that it's not the old guys.

As far as Phish, I listen to their channel quite a bit. Trey is a very talented guitarist, and overall they are much tighter and possibly more gifted technically than the Dead--subject for debate I guess. I would say I like about 70% of their music--can get a bit meandering at times.

The difference between my listening to Phish and the Dead is I know most of the Dead's songs. I don't know any Phish songs except the one about the band and the cymbals and saxophone.

The phish channel is good — they play a lot of different non-jamband stuff - hip hop, jazz, indie, punk.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paul s.
    I think practically speaking prob have to have some connection to him or the band. I’d rather work with someone like victor baker, who as I understand is more than happy to chat with potential buyers, and is a good player in his own right. I also suspect a lot of the guys seeking these are unaware that there are numerous other high end boutique builders.
    I own a VB! its been my main guitar for a few years now..But its a different animal compared to what Langudoc is building.

User Info Menu

Phish are tighter than the Dead most of the time, and prone to doing things like playing the entirety of "Dark Side of the Moon." The Magnaball shows were pretty amazing, they're on YT. And virtually their entire history is with the same lineup. OTOH I prefer Hunter's and Barlow's lyrics to those by the Dude of Life.

Bob retire? Well I guess you can't ever say "never," but in all the interviews I have read performing music is the main reason he manages to get out of bed. But along the lines of what you say, Bob has talked about the dream that he had where he was hovering over the stage, watching Dead and Company from behind. There was an old gray-headed dude jammin away on the guitar and a young fresh kid with a ponytail jammin next to him. He zoomed around the front of the stage and it wasn't Bob- the old grey guy was John Mayer and the young dude was somebody else entirely, carrying on the spirit of the music. Bob said that made him realize things will be OK (as far as Grateful Dead music goes, anyway).

Just wanted to say that like all humans, I was dealing with a crisis regarding my 3 year old and only child. A custody battle and visitation rights. I have made amends with almost every single customer to whose had an issue, or am in the process of delivering those last few guitars. My social media and payment options allow for total transparency.

I'm on the spiritual path again, see my son 50% of the time, am taking the time to actually sit down and play my fucking guitars. If anyone would like to correspond directly with me feel free to do so, or I can ask permission to put you directly in touch with anyone on social media who claims to have a problem with me. I'm feeling fantastic, and have completely eliminated all of my different models that had different price ranges and am now only building the finest of my models which has had an architectural revamp.

My guitars are the closest they have ever been to a Languedoc guitar, in terms of construction methods. They are True arch top hollow body guitars with carved top and back plates both inside and out, as thin as structurally permitted, 2 inches in body thickness and totally hollow, only parallel bracing and pyramidal back plate reinforcement.

The customer who began that post has written rave reviews about the guitar after receiving it, or commented privately about it to anyone who inquired. He was denied his request almost everywhere after repeatedly asking that it be taken down. Anyway, things are great and I feel like I'm on the high point of my career. My life is in order and I, and those connected with me in some way, are at peace.

Equator Instruments - Equator Instruments - custom hollowbody guitars made just like Trey Anastasio's Paul Languedoc guitar