Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 48 of 48
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    A very entry level hippy fake wood one, but man is it nice.

    Anybody else enjoy this body size?

    Retail therapy...bought a Martin 000-20210124_190056-jpg

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    you deserve it bud...school teacher!

    000's are nice! comfy but vibrant

    enjoy


    cheers

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    you deserve it bud...school teacher!

    000's are nice! comfy but vibrant

    enjoy


    cheers
    Thank you! I sold my Taylor some time back and was missing a decent, comfortable flat top with a pretty big sound. Can't believe it took me this long to figure out how comfortable a 000 is. Perfect size for me.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    I bought a Martin last month myself,but went for a Single 0 sized. I found a deal on a Custom Shop 12-fret 0-15 with ebony fingerboard and bridge. I’m absolutely loving this.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by zcostilla
    I bought a Martin last month myself,but went for a Single 0 sized. I found a deal on a Custom Shop 12-fret 0-15 with ebony fingerboard and bridge. I’m absolutely loving this.
    Oh, so all mahogany with an ebony board? That sounds awesome.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    000s are great! I’ve got an old one, a ‘36 00018 that my stepdad bought in ‘39 for $25. He said that was a lot of money back then.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    I love my Martin 00016SGTNE Custom. It is the best playing flat top I have ever had. I found it used and it had apparently been played hard. There are lots of nail marks on the top. I suspect it has had an overspray on the top and a neck reset. But, man! I put light gauge bronze strings on it, and it just plays like a dream. It has a K & K pickup system that sounds so natural and present through my Henriksen Blu. I have always preferred the 000 or OM body size. It’s so comfortable and the sound is so balanced. A perfect finger style guitar.

    Retail therapy...bought a Martin 000-0d0424da-943c-4e4d-a734-95f295a6c43b-jpegRetail therapy...bought a Martin 000-6887c384-fae0-468e-9e8c-2f52c213c7cb-jpg

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Oh, so all mahogany with an ebony board? That sounds awesome.
    It has a great sound. I didn’t expect it to be this loud. Not as loud as an all-wood dreadnought, but maybe only 15% less loud that my old Seagull S6 cedar topped/laminate side guitar.
    Retail therapy...bought a Martin 000-20f7b31b-ce06-437b-94ee-159e5b49e703-jpeg Retail therapy...bought a Martin 000-ce3dc686-4631-4d93-8c13-dc8f3da1b128-jpeg

    I sold some gear I wasn’t using a lot to help pay for repairs to our house we sold so I wouldn’t have to take out a loan, with the notion that I would upgrade to some better gear once we closed on the sale and purchase of our new home.

    Next up is the commission of a custom electric parlor guitar. Using a 24.75” scale neck, but going with a pine body, classic Telecaster bridge and pickup, and Firebird neck pickup. It will sound close to a tele, but with my spine injury and bad left rotator cuff (the reason I wanted a small-body, 12-fret acoustic), the short scale and lightweight small body will help me be more comfortable playing it.
    Last edited by zcostilla; 01-25-2021 at 09:36 AM.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Still have my prewar 000-21. It's only the 2nd flattop I've ever owned besides my 1st guitar, a $99 Yamaha in the 70s, but w today's prices you'd need a 2nd mortgage to afford one.
    Best I ever heard was a friends '37 000-28, he played it in front of me and my whole sofa was vibrating!

    000's are the perfect size/most user friendly Martins imo.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Mr B, Can I trouble you for a video?
    Happy for you bro.
    Joe D

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    I love the Martin 000 design and have had a few in my keep over the years. Suits my finger picking style just fine.

    As it happens I also bought a 000 style this weekend. Used and for very little money, the sound of this guitar is in the neighborhood of a 1943 000-18 I owned about ten years ago. Needs some fret TLC but the neck profile is very good and the truss rod works. Did I mention it sounds like an old Martin?

    I can't swear to the type of wood used but they sure glued it together right. Recording King series 11 000

    Retail therapy...bought a Martin 000-screenshot_20210124-214309-png

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    I've got a 000-18 that's perfect for me - great for fingerstyle which is about all I play. I've heard folks say they work real well for flat picking, too.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Nice to see a bunch of folks here dig the shape.

    Michael, I have a Recording King parlor...very fun guitar. Not an every day guitar, but well made and good sounding. That burst 000 looks great.

    Joe D, video forthcoming...still getting acquainted

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    "You deserve it..."

    I second that, & congratulations!

    Ah, the satisfaction that is a Martin.

    I think that all of their stuff is PLEK'd thee days.

    Love my humble DJr-10.

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Still have my prewar 000-21. It's only the 2nd flattop I've ever owned besides my 1st guitar, a $99 Yamaha in the 70s, .
    not to sidetrack this nice 000 thread! but yamaha made some nice acoustics in the 70's...they were martin inspired early on...all the players used them or had'em..they were solid dependable, had playable action and sounded pretty decent!...i loved their 12 string acoustics...sounded great and not tough on the fingers...60's gibson 12's were rough!!!

    cheers

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Happy owner of a 000-28 Shenandoah model here. Made and bought in 1984, Martin's first attempt at reaching to the less affluent customers. Came with a built in 332 Martin Thinline piezo - luckily passive so no cut out for controls on the sides. I've never been much of a fan of the Dreadnaught size flattops but prefer smaller size bodies and the 000 size is just perfect in my book.
    Happy New Guitar Day, Jeff.
    What's the deal with the "fake wood" if you don't mind asking?

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    "000 Love Thread, No Dreadnoughts Allowed"

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    I bought my 000-28 brand new in April of 1977, so it's almost 44 years old. And, yes, it's a keeper!

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Nothing beats retail therapy ..


    Awesome .. Play it in good health!

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Just read about Chicago schools again in the Washington Post this morning. Good luck Jeff, hope you all can agree to do the safe and sensible thing.

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Happy New Guitar Day, Jeff.
    What's the deal with the "fake wood" if you don't mind asking?
    IThanks everybody's!

    Tommo, I'm a big hippie nerd sometimes, so when I hear "sustainable materials" and such on a guitar my ears perk up.

    The back and sides are "high pressure laminate," which is basically pressed scraps and sawdust

    The fingerboard is richlite, a countertop material/ fake ebony and the neck is Stratabond, a birch laminate that i believe they use for gun stocks...

    Top is solid spruce though, and this guitar definitely proves the whole "top is most important " argument.

    In the end, it was a very affordable way for me to get a flat top guitar that was actually comfortable to play (not a dread guy, at all) and its still a Martin, so the workmanship and frets and action/intonation such is pretty much flawless.

    I'll take better pics today. It actually is pretty, in a plain Jane kinda way.

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    Just read about Chicago schools again in the Washington Post this morning. Good luck Jeff, hope you all can agree to do the safe and sensible thing.
    Thanks...stressful start to a year we were all hoping would be less such.

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Anybody know where the designation 000 comes from? I have a hard time figuring out flattop sizes and shapes, other than big dread, little dread, orchestral and parlor. Oh and those mysterious Martin D numbers...

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    IThanks everybody's!

    Tommo, I'm a big hippie nerd sometimes, so when I hear "sustainable materials" and such on a guitar my ears perk up.

    The back and sides are "high pressure laminate," which is basically pressed scraps and sawdust

    The fingerboard is richlite, a countertop material/ fake ebony and the neck is Stratabond, a birch laminate that i believe they use for gun stocks...

    Top is solid spruce though, and this guitar definitely proves the whole "top is most important " argument.

    In the end, it was a very affordable way for me to get a flat top guitar that was actually comfortable to play (not a dread guy, at all) and its still a Martin, so the workmanship and frets and action/intonation such is pretty much flawless.

    I'll take better pics today. It actually is pretty, in a plain Jane kinda way.
    Whaddya mean “sometimes”??

    I second what you said. Use all the parts of the pig, even the snout.

    There’s the famous story of the guitar maker Torres making a guitar with a back and sides of cardboard, to prove that the most important aspect of the sound was the soundboard.

    Torres' cardboard guitar | cumpiano-guitarmaker

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Thanks for the info, Jeff!

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Anybody know where the designation 000 comes from?
    If you want a dissertation on the topic, head over to the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum. Here's the executive summary.

    Sort of like why the diameter of 18 gauge wire is 1mm while the diameter of 12 gauge is 2mm. The short story is tradition with some practical influence. Martin designated body size in the 19th century with number just like they did with their tools. The higher the number, the smaller the size. A martin size 5 guitar has a lower bout width of 11 inches while a size 1 was 12 inches. So, where do you go when the market wants a bigger guitar? A huge guitar suitable for the concert stage? You make the mighty size 0 with a lower bout of 13 inches!

    Still, they called for more.

    When those banjos started showing up (thank you, Mr. S.S. Stewart) Martin created a 14 inch width guitar. What to call it? Size -1? Since the guitar is larger and mightier than the 0 they called it the 00. (00-18, 00-28, etc) The "double oh". Which was followed by the triple oh and first by the M size (another story) which was renamed the quadruple oh (0000-28).

    And, since we're deciphering things here: -18 is mahogany, -28 is rosewood, -3x is three piece rosewood back... on and on.

    For the acoustic guitar challenged (joke), a 000 size is like a 15" archtop with a "Gibson-like" scale. Actually, 24.9 inches. Comfortable to hold and easy to play.

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    Few more pics...Retail therapy...bought a Martin 000-20210125_070706-jpg

    Retail therapy...bought a Martin 000-20210125_070723-jpg

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Few more pics...Retail therapy...bought a Martin 000-20210125_070706-jpg

    Retail therapy...bought a Martin 000-20210125_070723-jpg
    At first glance the sides and back look like a very light mahogany


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    That's a classic Martin 18 style look! Simply elegant, elegantly simple.

  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    I love the 000 size (I like the 00, too). I played a zillion flattops over the last couple of years while trying to figure out what to replace my Gibson dread with, and almost pulled the trigger on a 00013-E before deciding on a GJ guitar. If I ever get another flattop (I do miss that sound), it'll probably be some flavor of 000 size.

    John

  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    Happy NGD!

    I have a 000-15 that I absolutely love. At the time, the 15 series was the cheap line. It's about 20 years old now and really sounds nice. I had to sell it after a divorce in '07 but tracked it down and bought it back a few years later. I've thought about getting a 'nicer' 000 or OM style, but I'm not sure I would actually like it any more than the 000-15.

  32. #31

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    If you want a dissertation on the topic, head over to the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum. Here's the executive summary.

    Sort of like why the diameter of 18 gauge wire is 1mm while the diameter of 12 gauge is 2mm. The short story is tradition with some practical influence. Martin designated body size in the 19th century with number just like they did with their tools. The higher the number, the smaller the size. A martin size 5 guitar has a lower bout width of 11 inches while a size 1 was 12 inches. So, where do you go when the market wants a bigger guitar? A huge guitar suitable for the concert stage? You make the mighty size 0 with a lower bout of 13 inches!

    Still, they called for more.

    When those banjos started showing up (thank you, Mr. S.S. Stewart) Martin created a 14 inch width guitar. What to call it? Size -1? Since the guitar is larger and mightier than the 0 they called it the 00. (00-18, 00-28, etc) The "double oh". Which was followed by the triple oh and first by the M size (another story) which was renamed the quadruple oh (0000-28).

    And, since we're deciphering things here: -18 is mahogany, -28 is rosewood, -3x is three piece rosewood back... on and on.

    For the acoustic guitar challenged (joke), a 000 size is like a 15" archtop with a "Gibson-like" scale. Actually, 24.9 inches. Comfortable to hold and easy to play.
    Thanks!

    I never knew that about the D-18 and 28...despite all those songs about the Martin D-18!


  33. #32

    User Info Menu

    BTW my fiancee's BIL HAD a D-18 and also has one of these laminate Martins, which either has a Fishman pickup system or he had it installed, I can't remember.

    Anyway, when he used to play gigs he always took his laminate Martin and never played his D-18, which I think he eventually sold. He thought the laminate was just a great all-around guitar.

    He also has a 1964 Gibson ES-335 in Cherry Red with a Bigsby, which he has been trying for years to sell on consignment, but so far no luck. (PM me if you're interested--if you have to ask how much he wants for it, you can't afford it.)

  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    I have an SP000C-16R that I bought new in the mid '90s. Great guitar. Needs some attention so it is only guitar that I have that is in its case and not on my racks for daily playing. Possibly needs a neck reset which breaks my heart. It looks like this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images Retail therapy...bought a Martin 000-qby8juio4uzaanmbichp-jpg 

  35. #34

    User Info Menu

    I got one of those Taylor GS-Mini mahoganies last year. 23.5” scale with a 1 11/16” nut. While the volume of this small guitar is impressive the the tone is not. There isn’t any. At all.

    Looking at small guitars for a couch finger picker. I’ll check these out.

  36. #35

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    I got one of those Taylor GS-Mini mahoganies last year. 23.5” scale with a 1 11/16” nut. While the volume of this small guitar is impressive the the tone is not. There isn’t any. At all.

    Looking at small guitars for a couch finger picker. I’ll check these out.
    I feel you. I bought a Larriveé Parlor model with the cash I made deploying to the desert in 2000, and it had decent tone but no bottom end, and not loud enough for me. It did sound amazing for bottleneck slide though. Sold in in 2007 to pay bills instead of using a credit card. When my spine and left shoulder started giving me fits, I knew I’d need another small guitar. I ordered a custom guitar and helped design it with a builder, but he messed up the neck and scale... twice. He was nice enough to contact me each time, but I was weary of more delays and ended up finding my 0-15 12-fret on Facebook Marketplace from a guy who was retiring and thinning out his herd. It was too good a deal to pass up. It was this or a nice Halcyon 12-fret with Wenge sides and back, but I would’ve had to buy the Halcyon sight unseen and unplayed on Reverb, so I went with the safe option.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  37. #36

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    ...Looking at small guitars for a couch finger picker. I’ll check these out.
    I also have a Tanglewood similar to something like this except less blingy in that top and back are solid mahogany and the fretboard is rosewood. Still has the slotted peghead. Something to consider. Decent tone IMHO. I think that it was $300 USD.

    But it doesn't have a lot of bottom end if that is what you are looking for.

    Tanglewood Java Series TWJP Parlor Acoustic Guitar Solid Cedar Top Natural | eBay

  38. #37

    User Info Menu

    My first brand-new guitar was a Toredo 000-18 style laminate w/adjustable bridge that sold for a bit over a c-note back in 1974. Strung it up with 13s and just had a great time. Wrote alot of songs with it, carried it everywhere I went and got to meet some people.

    FF to 2011 and the week after I bought my first new Martin (a dreadnought w/cutaway and onboard electronics) I went back with the intent of getting a 000-18. The one they had was identical to yours but unfortunately the action was a good 1/2" at the 12th fret, so no go. The alert salesperson steered me to a GE D-18 with which I've been very happy.

    But a 000-18, to me, remains THE acoustic guitar. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

  39. #38

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by zcostilla
    I feel you. I bought a Larriveé Parlor model with the cash I made deploying to the desert in 2000, and it had decent tone but no bottom end, and not loud enough for me. It did sound amazing for bottleneck slide though. Sold in in 2007 to pay bills instead of using a credit card. When my spine and left shoulder started giving me fits, I knew I’d need another small guitar. I ordered a custom guitar and helped design it with a builder, but he messed up the neck and scale... twice. He was nice enough to contact me each time, but I was weary of more delays and ended up finding my 0-15 12-fret on Facebook Marketplace from a guy who was retiring and thinning out his herd. It was too good a deal to pass up. It was this or a nice Halcyon 12-fret with Wenge sides and back, but I would’ve had to buy the Halcyon sight unseen and unplayed on Reverb, so I went with the safe option.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I too, had been looking for a comfortable flat top for years, and my quest started with a Larrivee parlor...which was a really well made instrument--just NOT for me. Recorded great though. Kind of a bummer it wasn't all that comfortable for my hands to play (body was very comfortable, but the scale was too short)

    After this, I bought a nice Taylor, a 414ce. But in the end, the Taylor GA body is still pretty big, and it ended up not getting played. Another really great sounding guitar...

    A few years ago, I tried small with long scale via a cheap Recording King parlor. Now that guitar I still like quite a bit, but I was longing for something that felt small but sounded bigger.

    Finally, a few weeks ago, I stumbled upon this guitar. Went back and forth in my mind about "needing" another guitar, as I surely didn't...but in the end want won out

  40. #39

    User Info Menu

    Sound test for Joe D


  41. #40

    User Info Menu

    Lovely. And I liked the live performance vibe. Thanks.

  42. #41

    User Info Menu

    It’s beautiful


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  43. #42

    User Info Menu

    Wow, the guitar sounds amazing and your playing is beautiful!

  44. #43

    User Info Menu

    clever playing of a fave tune....000 sounds great!


    cheers

  45. #44

    User Info Menu

    Retail therapy indeed!

    Sweet 000!!!

    My first 'nice' acoustic was an early 2000 Martin 000 GTE. Sold it to a friend to raise funds for another gitfiddle. Every time we speak, he tells me how much he loves the Martin I sold him. Dam, I miss that 000.

    Play it in good health...even after the pan dammit is over.

  46. #45

    User Info Menu

    Yeah man! Lovely playing, sounds great. Extra points for being a thumb wrapper.

  47. #46

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    Yeah man! Lovely playing, sounds great. Extra points for being a thumb wrapper.
    If thumb wrapping was illegal, I wouldn't be able to play.

    God gave me monkey hands for a reason, I say.

  48. #47

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Sound test for Joe D

    Wow, sounds fantastic, Jeff. Guitar's not bad either.

    John

  49. #48

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    If thumb wrapping was illegal, I wouldn't be able to play.

    God gave me monkey hands for a reason, I say.
    I wanna go the slammer! I can't do it.