The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 48

User Info Menu

A very entry level hippy fake wood one, but man is it nice.

Anybody else enjoy this body size?

Retail therapy...bought a Martin 000-20210124_190056-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

you deserve it bud...school teacher!

000's are nice! comfy but vibrant

enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    you deserve it bud...school teacher!

000's are nice! comfy but vibrant

enjoy

cheers
    Thank you! I sold my Taylor some time back and was missing a decent, comfortable flat top with a pretty big sound. Can't believe it took me this long to figure out how comfortable a 000 is. Perfect size for me.

User Info Menu

I bought a Martin last month myself,but went for a Single 0 sized. I found a deal on a Custom Shop 12-fret 0-15 with ebony fingerboard and bridge. I’m absolutely loving this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zcostilla
    I bought a Martin last month myself,but went for a Single 0 sized. I found a deal on a Custom Shop 12-fret 0-15 with ebony fingerboard and bridge. I’m absolutely loving this.
    Oh, so all mahogany with an ebony board? That sounds awesome.

User Info Menu

000s are great! I’ve got an old one, a ‘36 00018 that my stepdad bought in ‘39 for $25. He said that was a lot of money back then.

User Info Menu

I love my Martin 00016SGTNE Custom. It is the best playing flat top I have ever had. I found it used and it had apparently been played hard. There are lots of nail marks on the top. I suspect it has had an overspray on the top and a neck reset. But, man! I put light gauge bronze strings on it, and it just plays like a dream. It has a K & K pickup system that sounds so natural and present through my Henriksen Blu. I have always preferred the 000 or OM body size. It’s so comfortable and the sound is so balanced. A perfect finger style guitar.

Retail therapy...bought a Martin 000-0d0424da-943c-4e4d-a734-95f295a6c43b-jpegRetail therapy...bought a Martin 000-6887c384-fae0-468e-9e8c-2f52c213c7cb-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Oh, so all mahogany with an ebony board? That sounds awesome.
    It has a great sound. I didn’t expect it to be this loud. Not as loud as an all-wood dreadnought, but maybe only 15% less loud that my old Seagull S6 cedar topped/laminate side guitar.
    Retail therapy...bought a Martin 000-20f7b31b-ce06-437b-94ee-159e5b49e703-jpeg Retail therapy...bought a Martin 000-ce3dc686-4631-4d93-8c13-dc8f3da1b128-jpeg

I sold some gear I wasn’t using a lot to help pay for repairs to our house we sold so I wouldn’t have to take out a loan, with the notion that I would upgrade to some better gear once we closed on the sale and purchase of our new home.

Next up is the commission of a custom electric parlor guitar. Using a 24.75” scale neck, but going with a pine body, classic Telecaster bridge and pickup, and Firebird neck pickup. It will sound close to a tele, but with my spine injury and bad left rotator cuff (the reason I wanted a small-body, 12-fret acoustic), the short scale and lightweight small body will help me be more comfortable playing it.
    Last edited by zcostilla; 01-25-2021 at 09:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Still have my prewar 000-21. It's only the 2nd flattop I've ever owned besides my 1st guitar, a $99 Yamaha in the 70s, but w today's prices you'd need a 2nd mortgage to afford one.
    Best I ever heard was a friends '37 000-28, he played it in front of me and my whole sofa was vibrating!

000's are the perfect size/most user friendly Martins imo.

User Info Menu

Mr B, Can I trouble you for a video?
    Happy for you bro.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

I love the Martin 000 design and have had a few in my keep over the years. Suits my finger picking style just fine.

As it happens I also bought a 000 style this weekend. Used and for very little money, the sound of this guitar is in the neighborhood of a 1943 000-18 I owned about ten years ago. Needs some fret TLC but the neck profile is very good and the truss rod works. Did I mention it sounds like an old Martin?

I can't swear to the type of wood used but they sure glued it together right. Recording King series 11 000

Retail therapy...bought a Martin 000-screenshot_20210124-214309-png

User Info Menu

I've got a 000-18 that's perfect for me - great for fingerstyle which is about all I play. I've heard folks say they work real well for flat picking, too.

User Info Menu

Nice to see a bunch of folks here dig the shape.

Michael, I have a Recording King parlor...very fun guitar. Not an every day guitar, but well made and good sounding. That burst 000 looks great.

Joe D, video forthcoming...still getting acquainted

User Info Menu

"You deserve it..."

I second that, & congratulations!

Ah, the satisfaction that is a Martin.

I think that all of their stuff is PLEK'd thee days.

Love my humble DJr-10.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Still have my prewar 000-21. It's only the 2nd flattop I've ever owned besides my 1st guitar, a $99 Yamaha in the 70s, .
    not to sidetrack this nice 000 thread! but yamaha made some nice acoustics in the 70's...they were martin inspired early on...all the players used them or had'em..they were solid dependable, had playable action and sounded pretty decent!...i loved their 12 string acoustics...sounded great and not tough on the fingers...60's gibson 12's were rough!!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Happy owner of a 000-28 Shenandoah model here. Made and bought in 1984, Martin's first attempt at reaching to the less affluent customers. Came with a built in 332 Martin Thinline piezo - luckily passive so no cut out for controls on the sides. I've never been much of a fan of the Dreadnaught size flattops but prefer smaller size bodies and the 000 size is just perfect in my book.
    Happy New Guitar Day, Jeff.
    What's the deal with the "fake wood" if you don't mind asking?

User Info Menu

"000 Love Thread, No Dreadnoughts Allowed"

User Info Menu

I bought my 000-28 brand new in April of 1977, so it's almost 44 years old. And, yes, it's a keeper!

User Info Menu

Nothing beats retail therapy ..

Awesome .. Play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Just read about Chicago schools again in the Washington Post this morning. Good luck Jeff, hope you all can agree to do the safe and sensible thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Happy New Guitar Day, Jeff.
    What's the deal with the "fake wood" if you don't mind asking?
    IThanks everybody's!

Tommo, I'm a big hippie nerd sometimes, so when I hear "sustainable materials" and such on a guitar my ears perk up.

The back and sides are "high pressure laminate," which is basically pressed scraps and sawdust

The fingerboard is richlite, a countertop material/ fake ebony and the neck is Stratabond, a birch laminate that i believe they use for gun stocks...

Top is solid spruce though, and this guitar definitely proves the whole "top is most important " argument.

In the end, it was a very affordable way for me to get a flat top guitar that was actually comfortable to play (not a dread guy, at all) and its still a Martin, so the workmanship and frets and action/intonation such is pretty much flawless.

I'll take better pics today. It actually is pretty, in a plain Jane kinda way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    Just read about Chicago schools again in the Washington Post this morning. Good luck Jeff, hope you all can agree to do the safe and sensible thing.
    Thanks...stressful start to a year we were all hoping would be less such.

User Info Menu

Anybody know where the designation 000 comes from? I have a hard time figuring out flattop sizes and shapes, other than big dread, little dread, orchestral and parlor. Oh and those mysterious Martin D numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    IThanks everybody's!

Tommo, I'm a big hippie nerd sometimes, so when I hear "sustainable materials" and such on a guitar my ears perk up.

The back and sides are "high pressure laminate," which is basically pressed scraps and sawdust

The fingerboard is richlite, a countertop material/ fake ebony and the neck is Stratabond, a birch laminate that i believe they use for gun stocks...

Top is solid spruce though, and this guitar definitely proves the whole "top is most important " argument.

In the end, it was a very affordable way for me to get a flat top guitar that was actually comfortable to play (not a dread guy, at all) and its still a Martin, so the workmanship and frets and action/intonation such is pretty much flawless.

I'll take better pics today. It actually is pretty, in a plain Jane kinda way.
    Whaddya mean “sometimes”??

I second what you said. Use all the parts of the pig, even the snout.

There’s the famous story of the guitar maker Torres making a guitar with a back and sides of cardboard, to prove that the most important aspect of the sound was the soundboard.

Torres' cardboard guitar | cumpiano-guitarmaker

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info, Jeff!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Anybody know where the designation 000 comes from?
    If you want a dissertation on the topic, head over to the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum. Here's the executive summary.

Sort of like why the diameter of 18 gauge wire is 1mm while the diameter of 12 gauge is 2mm. The short story is tradition with some practical influence. Martin designated body size in the 19th century with number just like they did with their tools. The higher the number, the smaller the size. A martin size 5 guitar has a lower bout width of 11 inches while a size 1 was 12 inches. So, where do you go when the market wants a bigger guitar? A huge guitar suitable for the concert stage? You make the mighty size 0 with a lower bout of 13 inches!

Still, they called for more.

When those banjos started showing up (thank you, Mr. S.S. Stewart) Martin created a 14 inch width guitar. What to call it? Size -1? Since the guitar is larger and mightier than the 0 they called it the 00. (00-18, 00-28, etc) The "double oh". Which was followed by the triple oh and first by the M size (another story) which was renamed the quadruple oh (0000-28).

And, since we're deciphering things here: -18 is mahogany, -28 is rosewood, -3x is three piece rosewood back... on and on.

For the acoustic guitar challenged (joke), a 000 size is like a 15" archtop with a "Gibson-like" scale. Actually, 24.9 inches. Comfortable to hold and easy to play.