The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Few more pics...Retail therapy...bought a Martin 000-20210125_070706-jpg

Retail therapy...bought a Martin 000-20210125_070723-jpg
    At first glance the sides and back look like a very light mahogany

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

That's a classic Martin 18 style look! Simply elegant, elegantly simple.

User Info Menu

I love the 000 size (I like the 00, too). I played a zillion flattops over the last couple of years while trying to figure out what to replace my Gibson dread with, and almost pulled the trigger on a 00013-E before deciding on a GJ guitar. If I ever get another flattop (I do miss that sound), it'll probably be some flavor of 000 size.

John

User Info Menu

Happy NGD!

I have a 000-15 that I absolutely love. At the time, the 15 series was the cheap line. It's about 20 years old now and really sounds nice. I had to sell it after a divorce in '07 but tracked it down and bought it back a few years later. I've thought about getting a 'nicer' 000 or OM style, but I'm not sure I would actually like it any more than the 000-15.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    If you want a dissertation on the topic, head over to the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum. Here's the executive summary.

Sort of like why the diameter of 18 gauge wire is 1mm while the diameter of 12 gauge is 2mm. The short story is tradition with some practical influence. Martin designated body size in the 19th century with number just like they did with their tools. The higher the number, the smaller the size. A martin size 5 guitar has a lower bout width of 11 inches while a size 1 was 12 inches. So, where do you go when the market wants a bigger guitar? A huge guitar suitable for the concert stage? You make the mighty size 0 with a lower bout of 13 inches!

Still, they called for more.

When those banjos started showing up (thank you, Mr. S.S. Stewart) Martin created a 14 inch width guitar. What to call it? Size -1? Since the guitar is larger and mightier than the 0 they called it the 00. (00-18, 00-28, etc) The "double oh". Which was followed by the triple oh and first by the M size (another story) which was renamed the quadruple oh (0000-28).

And, since we're deciphering things here: -18 is mahogany, -28 is rosewood, -3x is three piece rosewood back... on and on.

For the acoustic guitar challenged (joke), a 000 size is like a 15" archtop with a "Gibson-like" scale. Actually, 24.9 inches. Comfortable to hold and easy to play.
    Thanks!

I never knew that about the D-18 and 28...despite all those songs about the Martin D-18!

User Info Menu

BTW my fiancee's BIL HAD a D-18 and also has one of these laminate Martins, which either has a Fishman pickup system or he had it installed, I can't remember.

Anyway, when he used to play gigs he always took his laminate Martin and never played his D-18, which I think he eventually sold. He thought the laminate was just a great all-around guitar.

He also has a 1964 Gibson ES-335 in Cherry Red with a Bigsby, which he has been trying for years to sell on consignment, but so far no luck. (PM me if you're interested--if you have to ask how much he wants for it, you can't afford it.)

User Info Menu

I have an SP000C-16R that I bought new in the mid '90s. Great guitar. Needs some attention so it is only guitar that I have that is in its case and not on my racks for daily playing. Possibly needs a neck reset which breaks my heart. It looks like this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images Retail therapy...bought a Martin 000-qby8juio4uzaanmbichp-jpg 

User Info Menu

I got one of those Taylor GS-Mini mahoganies last year. 23.5” scale with a 1 11/16” nut. While the volume of this small guitar is impressive the the tone is not. There isn’t any. At all.

Looking at small guitars for a couch finger picker. I’ll check these out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    I got one of those Taylor GS-Mini mahoganies last year. 23.5” scale with a 1 11/16” nut. While the volume of this small guitar is impressive the the tone is not. There isn’t any. At all.

Looking at small guitars for a couch finger picker. I’ll check these out.
    I feel you. I bought a Larriveé Parlor model with the cash I made deploying to the desert in 2000, and it had decent tone but no bottom end, and not loud enough for me. It did sound amazing for bottleneck slide though. Sold in in 2007 to pay bills instead of using a credit card. When my spine and left shoulder started giving me fits, I knew I’d need another small guitar. I ordered a custom guitar and helped design it with a builder, but he messed up the neck and scale... twice. He was nice enough to contact me each time, but I was weary of more delays and ended up finding my 0-15 12-fret on Facebook Marketplace from a guy who was retiring and thinning out his herd. It was too good a deal to pass up. It was this or a nice Halcyon 12-fret with Wenge sides and back, but I would’ve had to buy the Halcyon sight unseen and unplayed on Reverb, so I went with the safe option.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    ...Looking at small guitars for a couch finger picker. I’ll check these out.
    I also have a Tanglewood similar to something like this except less blingy in that top and back are solid mahogany and the fretboard is rosewood. Still has the slotted peghead. Something to consider. Decent tone IMHO. I think that it was $300 USD.

But it doesn't have a lot of bottom end if that is what you are looking for.

Tanglewood Java Series TWJP Parlor Acoustic Guitar Solid Cedar Top Natural | eBay

User Info Menu

My first brand-new guitar was a Toredo 000-18 style laminate w/adjustable bridge that sold for a bit over a c-note back in 1974. Strung it up with 13s and just had a great time. Wrote alot of songs with it, carried it everywhere I went and got to meet some people.

FF to 2011 and the week after I bought my first new Martin (a dreadnought w/cutaway and onboard electronics) I went back with the intent of getting a 000-18. The one they had was identical to yours but unfortunately the action was a good 1/2" at the 12th fret, so no go. The alert salesperson steered me to a GE D-18 with which I've been very happy.

But a 000-18, to me, remains THE acoustic guitar. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zcostilla
    I feel you. I bought a Larriveé Parlor model with the cash I made deploying to the desert in 2000, and it had decent tone but no bottom end, and not loud enough for me. It did sound amazing for bottleneck slide though. Sold in in 2007 to pay bills instead of using a credit card. When my spine and left shoulder started giving me fits, I knew I’d need another small guitar. I ordered a custom guitar and helped design it with a builder, but he messed up the neck and scale... twice. He was nice enough to contact me each time, but I was weary of more delays and ended up finding my 0-15 12-fret on Facebook Marketplace from a guy who was retiring and thinning out his herd. It was too good a deal to pass up. It was this or a nice Halcyon 12-fret with Wenge sides and back, but I would’ve had to buy the Halcyon sight unseen and unplayed on Reverb, so I went with the safe option.

I too, had been looking for a comfortable flat top for years, and my quest started with a Larrivee parlor...which was a really well made instrument--just NOT for me. Recorded great though. Kind of a bummer it wasn't all that comfortable for my hands to play (body was very comfortable, but the scale was too short)

After this, I bought a nice Taylor, a 414ce. But in the end, the Taylor GA body is still pretty big, and it ended up not getting played. Another really great sounding guitar...

A few years ago, I tried small with long scale via a cheap Recording King parlor. Now that guitar I still like quite a bit, but I was longing for something that felt small but sounded bigger.

Finally, a few weeks ago, I stumbled upon this guitar. Went back and forth in my mind about "needing" another guitar, as I surely didn't...but in the end want won out

User Info Menu

Sound test for Joe D

User Info Menu

Lovely. And I liked the live performance vibe. Thanks.

User Info Menu

It’s beautiful

User Info Menu

Wow, the guitar sounds amazing and your playing is beautiful!

User Info Menu

clever playing of a fave tune....000 sounds great!

cheers

User Info Menu

Retail therapy indeed!

Sweet 000!!!

My first 'nice' acoustic was an early 2000 Martin 000 GTE. Sold it to a friend to raise funds for another gitfiddle. Every time we speak, he tells me how much he loves the Martin I sold him. Dam, I miss that 000.

Play it in good health...even after the pan dammit is over.

User Info Menu

Yeah man! Lovely playing, sounds great. Extra points for being a thumb wrapper.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    Yeah man! Lovely playing, sounds great. Extra points for being a thumb wrapper.
    If thumb wrapping was illegal, I wouldn't be able to play.

God gave me monkey hands for a reason, I say.

User Info Menu

Sound test for Joe D

Wow, sounds fantastic, Jeff. Guitar's not bad either.

John

User Info Menu

If thumb wrapping was illegal, I wouldn't be able to play.

God gave me monkey hands for a reason, I say.
    I wanna go the slammer! I can't do it.