User Info Menu

Hi - I came across some fabulous looking archtops on Facebook by a luthier in the Netherlands named Ritch van Gessel. I'm curious if anyone here is familiar with his work or has played or owned one of his instruments. Cheers!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sorry, my answer to each specific question is no. However, this guy seems to have top-rate credentials in all aspects of guitar playing, teaching and making. Yet, his name doesn't come across where others, such as Frans Elferink, are mentioned. There's a strong archtop-making tradition in Holland. At some point, several luthiers had a joint portal. Not sure if it exists anymore. Dutch people are known to spend their money wisely and avoid excesses. This, and fraternal competition, should keep their prices at bay.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Sorry, my answer to each specific question is no. However, this guy seems to have top-rate credentials in all aspects of guitar playing, teaching and making. Yet, his name doesn't come across where others, such as Frans Elferink, are mentioned. There's a strong archtop-making tradition in Holland. At some point, several luthiers had a joint portal. Not sure if it exists anymore. Dutch people are known to spend their money wisely and avoid excesses. This, and fraternal competition, should keep their prices at bay.
    Thank you! This is much more information than I had before your response, so once again, I thank you. I've heard of Elferink in the past, but I'm not sure I know any other makers from Holland.