1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Having them finally in the same room in the same time, I think I can now safely say that one could be perfectly happy with those Aria 2302/2312 guitars. I can only assume that Herb Ellis models sound as good, if not better, but my first-hand experience with them is zero.

    Once again I must state my delight with those old Maxxon pickups, but not just them - those guitars show that proverbial Japan obsession with all USA-made "objects of power", which they then tend not only to exactly replicate, but magnify.

    Subjectively, Aria is smoother, silkier, smokier. Do I notice the lack of "thump" or any other mythical Gibson ES-175 quality? Not really, no.


  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    I suppose I could be happy with either one but the one on the right, whichever that is, is better sounding to me.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Good playing. I found ES 175 to be a bit rounder and fatter sounding then the Aria in the recording. BTW, I don't believe that ES 175 has a particular magic. There are ES 175's that sound more like the Aria in the recording. Neither sounded particularly thunky which IMO is a good thing. I personally do not like the dull, thunky sound. That's why I use rounds on my ES 175.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 01-24-2021 at 05:43 PM.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    The guitar in the right channel, 2nd to take the lead, wins it for me. More balanced.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamScott
    I suppose I could be happy with either one but the one on the right, whichever that is, is better sounding to me.
    Aria 2302 - I do think that those pickups have that certain "je ne sais quoi" that costs obscenely, if you are set on buying it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Good playing. I found ES 175 to be a bit rounder and fatter sounding then the Aria in the recording.
    Thank you! I'd formulate it this way - Aria is hollower in the mids, which makes her sounding even older than she is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I personally do not like the dull, thunky sound. That's way I use rounds on my ES 175.
    Yes, it can be like Chinese water torture - thunk, thunk, thunk - till your teeth start vibrating. I'm using a really heavy pick (Dunlop 5.0mm Wegen Gypsy Jazz copy) to counter it.

    Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    The guitar in the right channel, 2nd to take the lead, wins it for me. More balanced.
    Aria 2302. In both cases, neck volume is on 6-7, tone wide open.