The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 44

User Info Menu

Steve Holst be Da Man!-img_2272-jpegI am the happy owner of one of Steve Holst's first guitars, built in 1995. It is the only one I haven't sold in the last 20 years, because it's the best guitar I've played.

After roughly a million gigs, I finally managed to wear (eat) through the finish on the top where my (sweaty) arm comes over, and the guitar was down to bare wood. Not wanting to eat through the top as well, I contacted Steve and he agreed to touch up the top. For $100.

Being a Craftsman of Conscience, Steve decided to refinish the entire body, made a new pick guard, installed a new and improved saddle, replaced the nut, improved the binding profile, reworked the output jack and dressed the frets. Pro bono. And he was darn nice about it.

At $5K for a brand new, fully carved, completely customized instrument, his guitars are a bargain. On top of that, they are wonderful instruments. What a guy.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great customer support - and beautiful looking work. It would be great to hear from more Holst owners so we can all learn more about his instruments.

Thanks for sharing the experience - I didn’t realize he was making guitars for 20yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I gotta support Steve Holst with an order someday. A Mensch to archtop guitar players!

User Info Menu

Really great guy to work with.

User Info Menu

That's quite a nice looking guitar! Interesting to note that it has only a neck pickup, which seems to fly in the face of "conventional wisdom," whatever that is. I would think the placement of the control knobs might get in the way, but perhaps that's just because of the way I play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Just Fred
    That's quite a nice looking guitar! Interesting to note that it has only a neck pickup, which seems to fly in the face of "conventional wisdom," whatever that is. I would think the placement of the control knobs might get in the way, but perhaps that's just because of the way I play.
    that guitar was built in 1995, styles and preferences change. Innovations like Schatten hidden controls came along. I believe M Campellone now uses Schatten controls on his current floating pickup models

User Info Menu

Steve can install whatever controls the buyer wants. Having tried the "stealth" controls, I find that I like a top of the pickguard mounted volume control and a "stealth" tone, as I have a hard time finding the stealth volume control quickly, and I can never remember which way to turn the darn thing when I do find it. The tone I usually adjust once or maybe twice over the course of a gig, and never mid-tune, but the volume I use a lot and really appreciate being able to find it quickly.

If you think the top of this guitar is pretty you should see the back and sides!

User Info Menu

Steve Holst be Da Man!-10bae815-007a-4f2f-9c9d-fe2c90502947-jpegSteve Holst be Da Man!-4b83865d-b0e5-4101-8d3c-5653ffedd774-jpegSteve Holst be Da Man!-41458b8b-2909-4e1e-ac81-a50bd53bcc41-jpegSteve Holst be Da Man!-3960dc3a-853b-44ef-8847-42b7e5dc1176-jpegSteve Holst be Da Man!-36a7c3b0-3233-436a-9375-c6d06ebedfb0-jpegSteve Holst be Da Man!-470c610c-a492-436b-b555-267219872aa7-jpegSteve Holst be Da Man!-1c28f84d-b495-45e7-9597-d366801a3ec2-jpegSteve Holst be Da Man!-1bf3bac9-6af2-4906-bf1c-7d2f362ee2d2-jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images Steve Holst be Da Man!-ea0df47d-c41e-4303-a3c3-d93c6c764f7a-jpeg 

User Info Menu

Steve Holst be Da Man!-57d8d342-071c-4d39-b87b-eca750a5b6ed-jpegSteve Holst be Da Man!-3051604e-be11-43d7-b68d-6168a8cfc8e7-jpegSteve Holst be Da Man!-cf3660a3-7f77-4aae-aacf-0d575bd13c65-jpeg

User Info Menu

I have two guitars from Stephen, and yes he is very humble and a joy to work with!

Holst 17 X 3" Carved Top--Sourced From Old Growth Spruce In the Style Of A Wes:

Holst 16 X 2.75" Laminate-Stephen's Own Pressed Laminate Top In The Style Of A Borys B-120

User Info Menu

OK, I'll play: my new birthday gift (for the next few years!): 16" laminate, Bareknuckle pickup; 1 3/4" sides -- plays like a dream!

Steve Holst be Da Man!-holst-hardware-jpg

["Steve, can you please add strings?"]

Steve Holst be Da Man!-holst-front-jpg

["Thank you!"]

Steve Holst be Da Man!-holst-back-jpg

Steve Holst be Da Man!-holst-inlay-jpg

Steve Holst be Da Man!-img_2221-jpg

Steve Holst be Da Man!-img_2222-jpg

Superb instrument, great guy to work with!

Marc

User Info Menu

The thing about Holst is he will build your guitar in any style you want. You call it and he will build it. Most builders just offer there specific models. This guy gives you a blank canvas to paint your dream guitar.
    I wanted mine kinda plain with just white binding. 9 ply or wood binding was the same price.

User Info Menu

Oh my.. this is a beautiful guitar. Wow!
    Joe D
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    OK, I'll play: my new birthday gift (for the next few years!): 16" laminate, Bareknuckle pickup; 1 3/4" sides -- plays like a dream!

Steve Holst be Da Man!-holst-hardware-jpg

["Steve, can you please add strings?"]

Steve Holst be Da Man!-holst-front-jpg

["Thank you!"]

Steve Holst be Da Man!-holst-back-jpg

Steve Holst be Da Man!-holst-inlay-jpg

Steve Holst be Da Man!-img_2221-jpg

Steve Holst be Da Man!-img_2222-jpg

Superb instrument, great guy to work with!

Marc

User Info Menu

After visiting Steve Holst's web site and viewing his gallery, my wallet is groaning and my breath is panting. My problem isn't the cost as much as it is the room: I have simply run out of space to put another guitar. COVID has made selling an issue for me (and truthfully, my hesitation on attempting a "blind sale"). If I could divest myself of five or six guitars I never play anymore, I think I'd approach a Holst.

But that begs the question: How do they sound? I know that every guitar player has "the sound" that they play, or attempt to play, so how do I gauge which model and features? I get the sense that Steve sits down with you (figuratively speaking) and through an interview process, gets to know the specifics and idiosyncrasies of the purchaser. Am I right?

User Info Menu

After visiting Steve Holst's web site and viewing his gallery, my wallet is groaning and my breath is panting. so how do I gauge which model and features? I get the sense that Steve sits down with you (figuratively speaking) and through an interview process, gets to know the specifics and idiosyncrasies of the purchaser. Am I right?
    Yep!

User Info Menu

Steve Holst be Da Man!-holst-jpeg

My Holst...

User Info Menu

Can some Holst owners discuss how these guitars sound -both acoustically and plugged in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Mine is a 16x3.25 24.75 laminate. Acoustically very loud but not bright.
    Plugged in very warm, dark, but with great note and chord definition. Not bright like a Eastman laminate. Very nice natural reverb. Neck profile like a L5. Great laminate tone.
    It sounds like a super great 175. It is a light 6lbs.build.
    Jescar Gold 47105 frets. The finish is water based I believe. Too shiny and smooth to be nitro.
    He gets remarkably nice maple and has a great source for old growth spruce.

When he tells you 4 months that means a year. He lives deep in the bush with constant power outages. Very nice guy.

User Info Menu

Yup,
    All that

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Plugged in very warm, dark, but with great note and chord definition. Not bright like a Eastman laminate. Very nice natural reverb. Neck profile like a L5. Great laminate tone.
    Jescar Gold 47105 frets. The finish is water based I believe. Too shiny and smooth to be nitro.

When he tells you 4 months that means a year. He lives deep in the bush with constant power outages. Very nice guy.

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitars!
    Am I the only one that has a problem with the title of this thread?

User Info Menu

Great description Vinny! Its a shame we don't hear more about his instruments.
    His workmanship and price point seem like a tremendous value - especially for a US Luthier built guitar.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I ordered mine pre-covid, and he quoted "about a year;" with covid, it was just over a year, so not bad at all, given 2020. [and yes: worth the wait!]

User Info Menu

Steve Holst be Da Man!-57d8d342-071c-4d39-b87b-eca750a5b6ed-jpeg
    Awesome color, looks a lot like "viceroy brown."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    I ordered mine pre-covid, and he quoted "about a year;" with covid, it was just over a year, so not bad at all, given 2020. [and yes: worth the wait!]
    Did you pre-pay? 50% down deposit? What are his terms? Sounds like I should get started now if I want one while I'm still alive.

User Info Menu

Did you pre-pay? 50% down deposit? What are his terms? Sounds like I should get started now if I want one while I'm still alive.
    Hi, check out his website; he asks for 30% down. He uses a very detailed spreadsheet to go through all your specs, to make sure you're getting what you want!