The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 44 of 44

User Info Menu

Well, you guys (and the photos) sold me. I reached out to Steve today and he already replied. We've started the process. I'm going to fill out his spreadsheet and then we'll start talking details. The good news (good for me, not for him) is that he is only working on three orders right now, with one nearly complete, one beginning the finishing stage, and the third about 50% completed.

One-third down isn't a problem for me, so I anticipate the specs to be done soon and the work shortly after that. I'm very excited! Incidentally, the model that "sold" me was "ch1" on his web site:

Steve Holst be Da Man!-holstguitar1-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow, congrats, Fred!! You will be thrilled!

One tip, if you don't mind: listen to his suggestions.

And have fun with the process!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Wow, congrats, Fred!! You will be thrilled!

One tip, if you don't mind: listen to his suggestions.

And have fun with the process!!
    I'm old enough to know well enough to listen to the experts. I've looked at the spreadsheet, and after un-crossing my eyes, thought to myself, "Wow, this almost looks like work!"

Example: lower bout width, binding style, bracing style... heck if I know. I'm going to fill in the specs that I know (fingerboard: ebony), and then hope the conversation begins. I expect to be putty in his hands.

User Info Menu

Mine (sold in 2013) was 16 x 2.25" deep, laminate with mounted pickup. Excellent plugged-in sound; not deep enough for much acoustic tone but through the amp you could definitely get that. It had a KA smoothtop (not adjustable 12-pole) wide pickup, the same ones KA makes for Buscarino. Steve is a super nice guy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Just Fred
    I'm old enough to know well enough to listen to the experts. I've looked at the spreadsheet, and after un-crossing my eyes, thought to myself, "Wow, this almost looks like work!"

Example: lower bout width, binding style, bracing style... heck if I know. I'm going to fill in the specs that I know (fingerboard: ebony), and then hope the conversation begins. I expect to be putty in his hands.

Exactly!!

[Edit]

Something he asked about that I had never explored before was the "neck/fretboard width at the 14th fret." The nut width is 1 3/4", so he gave a "typical" width for the 14th fret. I was curious, though, and checked my other guitars, including my "favorite" neck that I had played for about 10 years. I also started thinking about other guitars I've owned recently, and how some seemed "too wide" in the upper range. It turned out my fave was slightly narrower than his numbers, and since I liked this feel, it was no problem for him to oblige -- and it feels great! Funny how even a slight measurement can "make or break" the feel of an instrument ...
    Last edited by marcwhy; 01-26-2021 at 08:45 PM. Reason: addendum

User Info Menu

The process has begun. We have now agreed to use Swiss Spruce on a carved top.

That's all for now.

I'll be sending him a deposit as soon as I receive his info.

Should I start a new thread for this? I hope to be kept apprised of the progress (with pics!) as the build takes form.

User Info Menu

That's all for now.

Should I start a new thread for this? I hope to be kept apprised of the progress (with pics!) as the build takes form.
    Congrats!! [the first pics won't be for a bit ... it's a practice in patience!]

User Info Menu

This is mine
    With SS frets and Bare Knuckle Manhattan P90 pickup.

There is a screw at the back that you turn to make a soundpost lock on to the top to make it semi hollow. Very nice acoustic tone even at just 16x2.25, so comfortable to play. The stainless steel frets doesnt change the tone at all which was my concern at the start.

Steve is a joy to work with, he is open minded to entertain any design or feature you would want to incorporate even if he has not done it before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

That's all for now.

I'd love to follow the progress of the build in a thread.

User Info Menu

Steve Holst be Da Man!-b41b4f2f-080e-4a67-8921-e44089f93683-jpgSteve Holst be Da Man!-f94ecfb2-2b6f-4b6f-8d35-bddefce49b78-jpgSteve Holst be Da Man!-362ba64f-d08f-44d7-b892-fb210ebfbd67-jpgSteve Holst be Da Man!-16b1d964-e3ee-4157-bc4d-65bac9233c4e-jpgSteve Holst be Da Man!-dd0e2a71-1aa0-4b54-bca3-a7aff5c2cac5-jpgSteve Holst be Da Man!-1939d458-056e-4731-b049-99d07549175b-jpgSteve Holst be Da Man!-1a6c8654-97b5-45f8-99c5-b2e4bac16fce-jpg

User Info Menu

That's all for now.

"The Builder's Bench" would be a nice place for such a thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by limjaz

Steve is a joy to work with, he is open minded to entertain any design or feature you would want to incorporate even if he has not done it before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh, and another thing ...

If you tell him, "I want to use (Lollar/SD/KA/etc) pickup," he'll say, "OK." If you ask him, however, "Hey, what pickup do you recommend for your guitars in order to get ___ sound?" he'll give you another answer! (and maybe even one that will surprise you!)
    Last edited by marcwhy; 01-30-2021 at 05:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Steve is a great builder and a stand-up guy. I had an issue with one of his guitars nine years after buying it and he totally stood behind it. All the good stuff you've heard is true.

User Info Menu

If you tell him, "I want to use (Lollar/SD/KA/etc) pickup," he'll say, "OK." If you ask him, however, "Hey, what pickup do you recommend for your guitars in order to get ___ sound?" he'll give you another answer! (and maybe even one that will surprise you!)
    Thanks for that. Truthfully, I don't have a pickup preference. I'm coming pretty much from playing acoustically 90% of the time, so I was hoping Steve would recommend one. After all, he knows the tonal quality of the guitar he's building. I've told him of my playing style and song choices, so I'm hoping he can use that as a guide (I'm a latecomer to electric guitar playing, and quickly soured on pedals, effects, boards and tubes/transistors).

User Info Menu

If I am not mistaken, I think mine was the first time he used bare knuckle pickups. He liked the result so much that he decided to officially offer BK pickups in his future builds

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by limjaz
    If I am not mistaken, I think mine was the first time he used bare knuckle pickups. He liked the result so much that he decided to officially offer BK pickups in his future builds
    Nice! I'm loving mine!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    I have two guitars from Stephen, and yes he is very humble and a joy to work with!

Holst 17 X 3" Carved Top--Sourced From Old Growth Spruce In the Style Of A Wes:

Holst 16 X 2.75" Laminate-Stephen's Own Pressed Laminate Top In The Style Of A Borys B-120

Nice! Can I ask what kind of pickup you used?

User Info Menu

I've had a couple of Steve's guitars. The man does beautiful work.
    Steve Holst be Da Man!-61981871_2282420368502658_8056712366387101696_n-jpgSteve Holst be Da Man!-jg1-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    Steve is a great builder and a stand-up guy. I had an issue with one of his guitars nine years after buying it and he totally stood behind it. All the good stuff you've heard is true.
    I just had another luthier (on another forum) tell me,

You have one of the best luthiers in the country working on your guitar. I've been making since '88 and I'm quite good at what I do, but if I had 5 minutes in a coffee shop with Holst, I would ask him what kind of frets he likes for me- and I would listen very closely.
    High praise, indeed!