The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 209

User Info Menu

1922 - 2017. Talked to David A. at CME. He told me Gibson is no longer accepting any archtop guitar orders. There M2M program is only for solid and semi’s. You can get the plywood Chuck Berry 350T for $10K.

Stay healthy Mr.Campellone

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Sad.
    Really!

User Info Menu

Heritage?

User Info Menu

Didn't know I'd live to see the day. Gosh!

User Info Menu

While 1922 is when the Loar archtop with F holes first appeared, all Gibson guitars made in 1902 (the beginning) were archtops (with an oval hole).

New Gibson archtops will be back one day, but they might not be available new for quite some time. I am 63 years old and have six Gibson archtops that meet my needs very well. I do not think that I am going to lose any sleep over the unavailablity of new Gibson archtops. YMMV

User Info Menu

Abandoning the legacy that made Gibson Gibson...

User Info Menu

sad but not unexpected...more signs of the times

even if they do decide to make them again one day, they'll be nobody left that builds them!

cheers

User Info Menu

No surprises here; Simple supply and demand. I doubt JC can make his ROI goals to his investors by making a handful of high labor cost niche guitars. (For an audience thats dying off, me included)))

User Info Menu

This will sound sacrilegious, but with so many incredible builders out there, I'm not too terribly upset by this. The Gibson archtops hold an important place in the pantheon of music over the past 100+ years, and many of the finest recordings and tones are built on L5's, Super 400's, etc...

But with people with Mark Campellone, Ryan Thorell, Daniel Slaman, Bryant Trenier, Cristian Mirabella, and Steve Andersen (to name just a few), I have little doubt that a new Gibson may not register for many up and coming players - IMO

There's not denying the wonder guitars and legacy, but with so many incredible builders out there (not to mention Heritage), I think we are in a wonderful time of what we can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    While 1922 is when the Loar archtop with F holes first appeared, all Gibson guitars made in 1902 (the beginning) were archtops (with an oval hole).

New Gibson archtops will be back one day, but they might not be available new for quite some time. I am 63 years old and have six Gibson archtops that meet my needs very well. I do not think that I am going to lose any sleep over the unavailablity of new Gibson archtops. YMMV
    Yes we all know about 1902. Archtops will always mean F-holes to me. I don’t own any archtops with a round or oval hole. 1922 will always be the Archtop birth to at least me. .....well on 2nd thought the Howard Roberts model was very nice. I will always associate Archtops with Lloyd Loar as the father.

Gibson is so stupid. Like the price of an l5 couldn’t pay for the price to build one for someone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    No surprises here; Simple supply and demand. I doubt JC can make his ROI goals to his investors by making a handful of high labor cost niche guitars. (For an audience thats dying off, me included)))
    Yes. But still, it’s a shocker to read in print. Gibson, who’d been around for generations, didn’t make it 100 years.

L5 prices are really going through the roof once this becomes common knowledge.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

There are 2 Gibson L-5ces At Dave's Guitars in Lacrosse Wisconsin at the moment. I'm not sure if they are new old stock? $10k range

User Info Menu

From what I've observed among players where I live (NYC, where you can't swing a cat without hitting a ... cat) over perhaps a decade, there does not appear to be any demand at all for new Gibson archtops. As in zero, as in people don't buy them at all. They do buy Gibson semis, solidbodies, and flat tops. And they do buy other brands of archtops new, and they do buy used Gibson archtops, but new Gibson archtops are just not on the radar. I don't see how the product line could survive, especially not at the prices Gibson had been asking. If they could profitably sell a new ES-175 for $2000 I bet they'd sell a lot of them, but I doubt that could happen.

Meanwhile archtops are a niche market, and there's enough used Gibson inventory out there to meet the demand. So while I get the lamentations on an emotional level, on a practical level as a potential guitar buyer I don't see that there's any impact, other than it no longer being possible to kvetch about how the old ones were better. If things change and Gibson re-enters the market, I look forward to being able to do that again

John
    Last edited by John A.; 01-22-2021 at 03:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Gibson definitely ran into a big problem with things like "recent vintage" 175's being thought of as better than current and being available cheaper than new.

Very disappointing news.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I have been trying to order a new S400. A big no from everyone.
    I called Gibson too.
    The only M2M dealers are CME, TMZ, Wildwood, and Sweetwater per Gibson.
    They did not mention MF as a M2M dealer which I find strange.

I also tried to order a black L5 with no luck.

User Info Menu

I am sad for sure but it certainly will up the price of Gibson Archtops in the future. Somewhere in my world someone needs to keep the tradition going. What I mean by that is that some company figure a way to build one and Gibson allow this..............I am just dreaming.

User Info Menu

This is really sad news

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I am sad for sure but it certainly will up the price of Gibson Archtops in the future. Somewhere in my world someone needs to keep the tradition going. What I mean by that is that some company figure a way to build one and Gibson allow this..............I am just dreaming.
    Quietly dreaming of a Japanese maker doing just that - on strict condition that they use nitro. An 'Ibanez' L5 - a proper L5 - for a reasonable price would jump straight to the top of my list

Always wondered why they didn't go down this route in recent years (I can guess, of course) - and I have a strange suspicion they went down this road once before (I am comparatively young so forgive my ignorance)

Those at Dave’s are new so I stand corrected. They are trickling in standard L5 models still.
    CME told me they are not taking in new orders at this time on any archtops but this may just be a backlog issue. This also happened during the fretboard siege.
    I am getting conflicting info from dealers. Still no archtops in there 2021 lineup.
    The woods are not as flamey on the new ones at Dave’s but still look very nice.

User Info Menu

Well right now my listed of wanted guitars become an L5c or Super 400c.

User Info Menu

Carved archtops may be off the table, but JC says they have a revamped Nashville ES line in the works. I don’t know what models are in the pipeline though. RIP Gibson Archtop guitar