The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 209

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I've never understood the Gibson Hendrix guitars. I know he played a couple Gibsons (he also played a Danelectro as a young side man) but is there really anyone who thinks of Hendrix as anything other than a Strat player
    yeah, but the fact he did play a V is enough for Gibson to capitalize on it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    I have noticed over the years that people who play double bass often drive the smallest cars.
    Keith
    Well my partner’s wouldn’t fit in my double cab Tacoma once so we threw it in the bed, which is only 5 feet, so it still stuck out above the gate. Fortunately no rain that day!

He drives a Lexus 350 now, and it fits in there reasonable well apparently (there is a use for SUVs after all I guess...).

User Info Menu

And from what I’ve read his estate likes to capitalize on his name for good money deals.

he sure don’t look happy with that V around his neck)

User Info Menu

We'll probably see a lot more jazz being played on Teles ala Ed Bickert.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    I don't get it either .. I mean at least the V has that videly known picture to go with it, but the SG?

Hendrix played a white SG custom from time to time. There are a few video on youtube of this (I've seen one of him playing Red House with the Expericence, and another of him on the Dick Cavett show right after Woodstock), and a bunch of photos. Supposedly he used it a lot on the last studio album (First Rays of the New Rising Sun/Cry of Love). But, obviously, yes, he was known for the Strat.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Hendrix played a white SG custom from time to time. There are a few video on youtube of this (I've seen one of him playing Red House with the Expericence, and another of him on the Dick Cavett show right after Woodstock), and a bunch of photos. Supposedly he used it a lot on the last studio album (First Rays of the New Rising Sun/Cry of Love). But, obviously, yes, he was known for the Strat.

John
    I think people just simply forget some artists played other instruments. Like Carlos Santa used to be a Gibson artist, then Yamaha and now prs. Like Jeff beck used to be a Gibson artist but is mainly recalled as a strat guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No affiliation, but there are some absolutely gorgeous WesMo's on Reverb and an equally gorgeous Lee Ritenour.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues
    No affiliation, but there are some absolutely gorgeous WesMo's on Reverb and an equally gorgeous Lee Ritenour.
    I was paying off an lr10 when he sold it to another person and I never got my $200 back

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silvertonebetty
    I think people just simply forget some artists played other instruments. Like Carlos Santa used to be a Gibson artist, then Yamaha and now prs. Like Jeff beck used to be a Gibson artist but is mainly recalled as a strat guy.

The Yamaha he used during the 70’s, e.g., Moonflower, is his best tone, IMHO. Absolutely unbelievable sound.

User Info Menu

The problem is that Gibson sound is unique. No one does it. There are for sure other builders which might be even better in terms of quality. Like Campellone, or Trenier or Triggs. But the sound of Gibson is quite unique. The thicker tops... It is not that you can imitate that easy. Someones does even better instruments. But that sound of the L-5 no ones does it. Neither Heritage guys.

Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Besides sound, two other strong points would be the playability and feedback resistance of Gibson archtops. Don't know how they do it, but there is a world of difference with most other brands in both areas.

Quote Originally Posted by silvertonebetty
    I was paying off an lr10 when he sold it to another person and I never got my $200 back

Not cool. Which one was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues
    Not cool. Which one was it?
    An 1982 ee ritenour. It had the pickups changed but the og pickups where in the case

Everyone complains about slanted pickups on Gibson archtops.
    Jim Culberson told me it helps reduce feedback.
    They do it on purpose. Reduces magnetic strength.
    Hence I don’t flip mine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    We'll probably see a lot more jazz being played on Teles ala Ed Bickert.
    Who's playing jazz on Gibsons? All the younger or working people are playing Ibanez or Eastman. Gibson is for the professionals, retired or higher income hobbyists. Aren't there enough Gibsons available on the used market for now?

User Info Menu

Oh man, sad news.

In 1960 Gibson stopped making Les Pauls because everybody thought they were ’yesterday’.

Then went seven years when they realised that the World needs Les Pauls and started to make them again in 1968. And it still goes strong.

Let’s hope that history repeats itself!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Oh man, sad news.

In 1960 Gibson stopped making Les Pauls because everybody thought they were ’yesterday’.

Then went seven years when they realised that the World needs Les Pauls and started to make them again in 1968. And it still goes strong.

I think they were still making the Les Paul SG though during that time period.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    The Yamaha he used during the 70’s, e.g., Moonflower, is his best tone, IMHO. Absolutely unbelievable sound.
    Stripped and re-equipped with Gibson parts - frets, pups, electronics per Paul Reed Smith to me in '86. The grand piano-shaped brass sustain block under the bridge was retained.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Oh man, sad news.

But they where yesterday at that point in time. Nobody wanted them and they didn't sell.

It was until July '66 when the Beano Album hit the record stores that things changed

So what we need know is a gifted guitar player to make a Top 10 record, where he makes new and innovative sounds on his Gibson archtop guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM
    Who's playing jazz on Gibsons? All the younger or working people are playing Ibanez or Eastman. Gibson is for the professionals, retired or higher income hobbyists. Aren't there enough Gibsons available on the used market for now?
    Another contemporary player using a Gibson L5 don't know if CES or WesMo is Roni Ben-Hur.

User Info Menu

Miles Okazaki - contemporary player, vintage Gibby.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Stripped and re-equipped with Gibson parts - frets, pups, electronics per Paul Reed Smith to me in '86. The grand piano-shaped brass sustain block under the bridge was retained.
    Really? I didn’t know that. Not surprised about the pickups though. Hard to improve on Gibson pickups at least at that point in time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    So what we need know is a gifted guitar player to make a Top 10 record, where he makes new and innovative sounds on his Gibson archtop guitar
    Damn, too late!

RIP Gibson Archtop guitar-prince-l-48-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    Damn, too late!

RIP Gibson Archtop guitar-prince-l-48-png
    Yeah, too late to tell him to rotate the &^%$# bridge on that thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM
    There may well be a plethora of used Gibsons available in the USA and Canada ? But there is not an abundance of them in Europe , and in particular
    the UK, Cost as well as lack of availability is the problem for younger and the not so well off players. Gibson Archtop prices are now exorbitant
    I assume that older players cling on to cherished Gibsons and private Luthier built guitars for that reason. The Gibson company's attitude to
    their long term customers is one of indifference, The focus with their new CEO seems to be centred upon Solid bodied and thin line guitars.
    Possibly an error of judgement in closing the Crimson Custom shop.(?) Having owned several Crimson Custom built Archtops one can say that they
    are/were superb. and the prices, although high , were within reach of the serious buyer. The consequence has been the rise of the Independent good
    Luthiers ,a number of whom are able to produce guitars equal to or better than the current crop from Gibson and at a considerably lower cost.

Kind regards, Silverfoxx