The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 209

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    ...It has always bugged me more than a little that Gibson takes a decent idea from the past and then markets it like they reinvented the wheel. And prices it accordingly...
    Yeah, and this also doesn't do much for the "Buy Genuine" campaign.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    If you were a cellist that would be a cheap instrument. I think cellos and archtops are comparable in construction etc.

Guitarists tend to collectors so they have a different relationship with instruments. But remind me, how many Zeidlers does Peter Bernstein own?
    We are in the midst of a pandemic, the economy is in crisis, the dictators are aggressive, and the climate is frightening. The concert halls are closed, the music business is run by algorithms, and even the gods are selling their gear. The second-hand market is enlarged with desperate sales and deceased estates.

This is not a good time to make major purchases.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    ...The overall demand for full-bodied archtops just doesn't seem to justify serial manufacturing. Don't have a clue of Höfner's numbers, but AFAIK they are the only industrial maker of archtops with their books in Europe, ever since Furch gave up. ...
    Hofner hasn't been interested in making archtop guitars for several years. My guess is that they make a half-dozen a year. Maybe.
    I don't think this is a reflection of the state of the market so much as a reflection of the quality of the current management team.

Gibson archtop production? I don't think the fat lady has sung yet. I think the margin opportunity in a M2M program that includes archtops is probably quite attractive if it's well-managed.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-24-2021 at 04:54 PM.

User Info Menu

I saw a recent-looking Furch archtop the other day on Reverb or eBay. Didn't bother to check but I wondered if they started making archtops again. Looked nice, reasonable price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    We are in the midst of a pandemic, the economy is in crisis, the dictators are aggressive, and the climate is frightening. The concert halls are closed, the music business is run by algorithms, and even the gods are selling their gear. The second-hand market is enlarged with desperate sales and deceased estates.

This is not a good time to make major purchases.
    Au contraire, rich people getting even richer during the pandemic. According to my friend Rob who manages a local guitar store, that includes guitar store owners.

Wealthy people always have to have something to spend their money on. If they aren’t traveling to Hawaii or Vail, they might consider a high end guitar, or (if they took string instruments in high school) a CELLO.

Heck, I’m not Uber-wealthy, but since I DIDN’T go to Hawaii in 2020 I found it easier to justify buying a new guitar.

Also, what else you gonna do with your free time. Talk to your S.O. 24/7???

User Info Menu

Slightly off-topic but since cellos were mentioned...

My buddy and bandmate Jon collects basses. I mean literally—he has about 35. He usually gets them for a song—old big-band or college basses that have been used and abused—and he has a talented guy in town who can rehab them for a couple of hundred dollars.

He has a lot of them painted by a local artist as well—some are airbrushed using car paints, some are acrylic artsy works. He has a couple of aluminum cellos that were popular with schools because they don’t warp or crack—has an auto guy sand them and polish them to a high sheen.

I guess my only point is that maybe quality violins and cellos are hard to come by, but basses seem to be not so desirable on the used market.

RIP Gibson Archtop guitar-e7cb9763-9779-4497-8c3b-ffd7af0ff870-jpeg

RIP Gibson Archtop guitar-8437d2e9-ef6c-408e-9508-f6bd693c225f-jpeg

User Info Menu

Apparently by mistake posted a draft that I later decided not to post
    Last edited by Lobomov; 01-24-2021 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    But that is not what we're doing .. We're comparing professional grade instruments vs. professional grade instruments ... Cello vs. guitar ... I mean 400 bucks will get you a fine guitar as well ... This one for example

I agree . You don’t have to spend big bucks to get a good guitar these days . And a lot of over sea manufacturers have great quality control. Others not so much .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Bought a Taylor acoustic last spring and a Mesa Rosette amp. This winter though I’ve been playing my 2017 Memphis Figured Natural 175 from the CME blowout through the ToneMaster Twin from a sale a year ago. I consider myself to be a lucky man.

Es 175 is gone from production

Mesa is no longer independent

Taylor is employee owned - probably a good thing

Hope Fender sticks around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    The ES135 was a hollowbody in the 1950's and returned as a semi-hollow in the 1990's.
    Hah! Where else but TJGF could someone just pull that out of their hat!

It is interesting to know there was a precedent. Thanks!

User Info Menu

...My buddy and bandmate Jon collects basses. I mean literally—he has about 35. ...
    That's a lot of uprights. I guess he has some space for them. I have room for only two uprights. Any more and I could get a larger place with room for more, out of the city, after the divorce.

...I guess my only point is that maybe quality violins and cellos are hard to come by, but basses seem to be not so desirable on the used market. ...
    Good upright basses are not cheap and not so easy to find. Cheap basses are...cheap and easy to find. The introduction of cheap Chinese-built uprights over the past decade or two has utterly killed the marketplace for cheap and mid-priced student-level Czech and German basses, as well as old cheap American basses. IMO. It does mean that the occasional really nice old upright bass that comes up on cl or kijiji (as opposed to more formal channels) can be had for very little. Collecting them is more work as well - they're too big to ship, they almost always need a bunch of work, they are much more expensive to maintain than smaller instruments, etceteras.

Interestingly enough, when Epiphone called it a day in 1957, Gibson bought Epi specifically to acquire its cheap upright bass manufacturing capabilities. The guitar-making stuff that came with the deal was a bonus, and has been described by some as a surprise to Gibson when they unpacked the crates that they received. Gibson upright bass production was a failure for a bunch of reasons, and they gave up on it by '64, when the last remaining uprights were shipped.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-24-2021 at 07:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Those at Dave’s are new so I stand corrected. They are trickling in standard L5 models still.
    CME told me they are not taking in new orders at this time on any archtops but this may just be a backlog issue. This also happened during the fretboard siege.
    I am getting conflicting info from dealers. Still no archtops in there 2021 lineup.
    The woods are not as flamey on the new ones at Dave’s but still look very nice.
    Thanks vinnyv1k!

And just to clarify - they are still making them, just limited and through only a few dealers?

User Info Menu

Vinny
    Dave’s L5 at 10599 says it’s on hold.... wonder if it’s anyone here?
    ( no not me ones enough)))

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    That's a lot of uprights. I guess he has some space for them. I have room for only two uprights. Any more and I could get a larger place with room for more, out of the city, after the divorce.

Good upright basses are not cheap and not so easy to find. Cheap basses are...cheap and easy to find. The introduction of cheap Chinese-built uprights over the past decade or two has utterly killed the marketplace for cheap and mid-priced student-level Czech and German basses, as well as old cheap American basses. IMO. It does mean that the occasional really nice old upright bass that comes up on cl or kijiji (as opposed to more formal channels) can be had for very little. Collecting them is more work as well - they're too big to ship, they almost always need a bunch of work, they are much more expensive to maintain than smaller instruments, etceteras.

Interestingly enough, when Epiphone called it a day in 1957, Gibson bought Epi specifically to acquire its cheap upright bass manufacturing capabilities. The guitar-making stuff that came with the deal was a bonus, and has been described by some as a surprise to Gibson when they unpacked the crates that they received. Gibson upright bass production was a failure for a bunch of reasons, and they gave up on it by '64, when the last remaining uprights were shipped.
    Interesting. I am just glad none of my kids wanted to play upright bass. Or Tuba. Otherwise I would have needed to get a bigger vehicle.

User Info Menu

Well they do have the semi hollow models and ES-350T. Looks like the Epiphone offerings are limited too. No Emperor, Broadway or ES-175 models . Wow, I can't believe they're asking $9,999.00 for a Jimi Hendrix Flying V and SG Custom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieAG
    Well they do have the semi hollow models and ES-350T. Looks like the Epiphone offerings are limited too. No Emperor, Broadway or ES-175 models . Wow, I can't believe they're asking $9,999.00 for a Jimi Hendrix Flying V and SG Custom.
    Those JH models are just 150 units in total

Finding 150 people with 10k to burn is doable .. finding more probably not.

Reviews are stellar

User Info Menu

Reviews are stellar
    I would imagine the profit margin is much better on these guitars than it was selling an L5 at around that price.

User Info Menu

Interesting. I am just glad none of my kids wanted to play upright bass. Or Tuba. Otherwise I would have needed to get a bigger vehicle.
    I sometimes work with a big guy who plays upright. After one gig he drove up to me to talk while I was loading my stuff into my SUV and I noticed he was driving a Mini Clubman. I said "What did you do with your bass and amp?" and he showed me it was in the back with the neck aimed straight towards the front down the center of the car. I was amazed.

Danny W.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Vinny
    Dave’s L5 at 10599 says it’s on hold.... wonder if it’s anyone here?
    ( no not me ones enough)))
    Getting list price too. Starve the people and they will pay anything for a morsel of food.

Another plate of crow I must eat......my dislike of Henry J. He actually wanted every genre of music covered. Hindsight is 20/20.

User Info Menu

New CEO is doing a great job. They will probably be back one day. But if they can't sell enough them, of course they will stop making them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    I sometimes work with a big guy who plays upright. After one gig he drove up to me to talk while I was loading my stuff into my SUV and I noticed he was driving a Mini Clubman. I said "What did you do with your bass and amp?" and he showed me it was in the back with the neck aimed straight towards the front down the center of the car. I was amazed.

Danny W.
    I have noticed over the years that people who play double bass often drive the smallest cars.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Reviews are stellar
    I've never understood the Gibson Hendrix guitars. I know he played a couple Gibsons (he also played a Danelectro as a young side man) but is there really anyone who thinks of Hendrix as anything other than a Strat player
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 01-25-2021 at 02:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I've never understood the Gibson Hendrix guitars. I know he pkayed a couple Gibsons (he also played a Danelectro as a young side man) but is there really anyone who thinks og Hendrix as anything other than a Strat player

I don't get it either .. I mean at least the V has that videly known picture to go with it, but the SG?

User Info Menu

I don't get it either .. I mean at least the V has that videly known picture to go with it, but the SG?

Hendrix played a white SG custom from time to time. There are a few video on youtube of this (I've seen one of him playing Red House with the Expericence, and another of him on the Dick Cavett show right after Woodstock), and a bunch of photos. Supposedly he used it a lot on the last studio album (First Rays of the New Rising Sun/Cry of Love). But, obviously, yes, he was known for the Strat.

John