The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Looking for some opinions regarding the Henriksen Bud paired with a Solid Body guitar, is it any good? I read mixed reviews online.

My plan would be to use one channel for my Archtop with flat wounds and the other for my moded Jaguar with Humbuckers and nickel wounds.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Interesting question. I don't have a Henriksen but I use one for rehearsals. I do have a SS head which does sound a bit sterile with solid body guitars IMO. In a band context, the definition and clarity of quality SS amps work well but for solo playing or practicing with solid body guitars they can sound a bit too dry to some.

I don't understand what you mean by using one channel for an archtop and another for a solid body. Both channels should be identical. Do you mean for duo playing?

User Info Menu

I personally plug my tele in my henriksen blu 10 and it sounds very good for modern jazz.
    i also use a joyo american sound with the tele and the blu if i want a ore fusion/blues sound and it is also very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    In a band context, the definition and clarity of quality SS amps work well but for solo playing or practicing with solid body guitars they can sound a bit too dry to some.

I don't understand what you mean by using one channel for an archtop and another for a solid body. Both channels should be identical.
    Thanks for the feedback! Yes this is exactly my worry based on what I read. It will mostly be to practice at home, am used to a 'fender clean' sound so I am concerned it will be a bit lacking with the Jaguar.

I meant for duo playing yes (myself with loop station ). I am happy with those 2 guitars only so I like the idea that the Bud is kind of 2 amps in one. I can just leave the setup that works for each of my guitars and don't worry about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Zheul
    I personally plug my tele in my henriksen blu 10 and it sounds very good for modern jazz.
    i also use a joyo american sound with the tele and the blu if i want a ore fusion/blues sound and it is also very good.
    Thanks for letting me know, it sounds good! I am actually also looking to use the Jaguar with a Mooer 250 so that's encouraging. Have you tried high gains sounds with the Blu?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AntoineB
    Thanks for letting me know, it sounds good! I am actually also looking to use the Jaguar with a Mooer 250 so that's encouraging. Have you tried high gains sounds with the Blu?
    I have used a high gain Suncoast preamp pedal with a Bud, sounds fine. You might want to experiment with the tweeter on or off, because of the high gain overtones.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I have used a high gain Suncoast preamp pedal with a Bud, sounds fine. You might want to experiment with the tweeter on or off, because of the high gain overtones.
    That's good to know that it works and thanks for the tip!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zheul
    Yep, +1 for the Blu + tele sounds!

User Info Menu

I have done many solo jazz guitar gigs with my Blu 6 using either my Les Paul or my Strat. It sounded pretty damn good to me. And since they kept inviting me back, I presume the audience liked it as well

User Info Menu

I used to always plug my Les Paul and Tele and solid body Harmony into my Bud with pedals or straight in and it sounds great, and not just for jazz

Thanks all for your answers, it's really helpful!

User Info Menu

I've used my Bud for all types of gigs with all of my guitars, be it a Strat, a Tele, an ES-345 of my various archtops - sometimes plugged straight in, with a Line6 HX Stomp fx pedal, my "Polytone-in-a-Pedal"-pedal ... no complaints, it's always surprising what a BIG tone this dwarf throws out ! If you can grab one for a good price then go ahead, you won't regret it.