The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Has anyone here used the Dearmond 1000 reissue?
    I've got a Levin 335 that I want to fit a pickup to but I would prefer something that balances well with bronze strings. My understanding is the original 1000s balanced well with bronze and/or monel strings. I'd be using 13-56s. I'd love to know what the reissues are like before I buy one. I'm really fussy about string balance - I have Benedetto S6 pickup that I find unusable because of how weak the 'B' is on it (it's also a very bland sounding pickup).

I've tried the 1100 reissue on this guitar and while the tone is great, it doesn't balance well with bronze strings - it was definitely intended for use with nickel wound strings. The adjustable poles only have subtle effect - ok to fine tune but not enough to compensate for the difference between Monel/nickel or bronze/nickel.

I'm keeping an eye out for a FHC but the prices they are selling for is a bit out of my reach, the 1000 reissue seems like a more cost effective alternative.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a DA 1000 reissue mounted on my Godin 5th Avenue acoustic. Martin Retro Monel strings sound a little more balanced and powerful than 80/20 bronze strings on that guitar, but I like the acoustic sound of the 80/20s better, so I'll probably go back to those when the Retros wear out.

User Info Menu

How hard is it to get these in australia?

SETS - VINTAGE BRONZE™ - GHS Strings

I had a reissue 1100 on a guitar a few years ago. Most bronze strings would not balance, but the ghs vintage bronze worked fine. This is because they have a higher core-to-wrap ratio, which means more steel and less bronze on the wound strings than most brands.

I recommend trying those out before switching pickups.

This recording from a few years ago is all pickup, plus a little piezo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz;[URL="tel:1092336"
    1092336[/URL]]

I'm keeping an eye out for a FHC but the prices they are selling for is a bit out of my reach, the 1000 reissue seems like a more cost effective alternative.
    was the FHC originally made for bronze strings ?

i note Chris Flory has a FHC and sounds
    really good (and well balanced)

User Info Menu

current dearmond 1000's use: Alnico 5 magnet @ 15.40K resistance....which means vintage true thin wire #44 or #45 even

magnetic pickups work with the amount of string magnetism...bronzes are always going to be lower output...monel is more output...stainless steel is higher

also vintage bronze 80/20 is different than newer bronze phosphor

lotsa factors..but go for it...new dearmond pups are nice!

also the lower the pup is installed the more broad the tone will be...as you raise it closer to strings, certain frequencies begin to bloom...choosing what you want is the fine tuning...and the part that takes neverending development!!...

luck

cheers