The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

OK after 32 years, I am reunited with the model of guitar which I admired the most, and which made me want to learn to play jazz. Thanks to Steve R, who listed the guitar on this forum.

It arrived 48 hours after shipped, packed perfectly and without any damage from UPS. This is what greeted me when I got home...

1988 Gibson ES-175–woohoo!-f3766cb5-70e6-49c5-b002-2ba224e981a7-jpg

Fragile’—must be an Italian guitar...

After removing a couple hundred cubic feet of bubble wrap, I was able to get the case out...good old sturdy Gibson case.

1988 Gibson ES-175–woohoo!-4e6df9d6-e136-4f92-af9c-f88e4f08d430-jpg

Fortunately, the combination was still 0-0-0-0.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 01-20-2021 at 11:13 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Upon opening the case I was greeted with a bedspread quantity of pink fur:

1988 Gibson ES-175–woohoo!-54112501-c09f-47bb-8b3f-0ba02f7a47df-jpg

Now the case for my ‘80 was black, with (as I recall) blue fur and no top cover. This seems rather...decadent...

User Info Menu

Here it is—‘88 175 next to my ‘02 135. As you can seen, virtually the same size and profile body, except for the difference in depth. The 175 burst is a little more gradual than the 135. The 135 is all-maple, while the 175 is mahogany back, sides and neck.

I didn’t realize how close the neck pickup was to the end of the fretboard on the 135 until this pic. The 175 obviously looks a little classier with the bound neck and inlays.

1988 Gibson ES-175–woohoo!-37064795-03ea-44e1-9f51-92b7b6073541-jpg

Soundwise, I was surprised how bright the 175 was compared to the 135, though it wasn’t hard to dial in a mellow jazz tone. Obviously the greater “air” in the box contributes to the resonance. I also found the 175 had a wider variety of tones than the 135, most of which I would never use LOL.

With the neck pickup, they had a similar vibe, with the 175 having more thunk of course. I actually prefer the middle selector position on the 135, at least on first listen. The 175 sounds a little quacky with both pickups, but maybe I just need to get used to tone controls?
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 01-20-2021 at 11:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Here it is with my 2 main amps. It sounds fine with the Fishman—a little flat though. It really shines through the SCXD, with that tube warmth.

1988 Gibson ES-175–woohoo!-79ed3b21-4063-4ae1-bc65-98d0d9e9c155-jpg

It is in great condition for its age—neck perfect, great action. No major issues other than very trivial cosmetics for a 32-year-old guitar. I think it was a good price—ironically about what my old ‘80 would have gone for now adjusted for inflation.

Anyway, I’m super happy.

Here’s a pic of me with my ‘80 in the mid-80’s...I sold it about 1988 or so when I had a new daughter and was super busy with medical training. I felt I wasn’t giving it the attention it deserved. I have always regretted selling it though, and have been looking for a similar guitar ever since.

1988 Gibson ES-175–woohoo!-d6a45bd0-adc9-4e33-8daa-a7b6e5dcb105-jpeg

I can’t really tell too many differences between the ‘80 and ‘88, except for the mint tuning buttons on the ‘88, vs chrome on the ‘88. I don’t recall my ‘80 being so comfortable to play, but I was not very knowledgeable about how to improve the action and playability at the time. A good setup probably would have made a world of difference.

User Info Menu

Congrats. May she inspire your playing for many years to come.

It is pretty hard to beat a good Es-175. They are the quintessential jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Yes sir SS. Perfectly well said.
    I’d like to add, the guitar looks well taken care of. It’s really beautiful. Lots a luck with it and I hope it makes you happy for many years.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Congratulations on your 'reunion'! Play it in good health.

User Info Menu

Man, that one sounds good just looking at it!

I've got a sweet spot for those 80s mahogany back & sides models. I think I'd go that way if I ever get a 175.

Long may she run!

User Info Menu

Congrats, Doc! Looking Dishy!

User Info Menu

That's a great looking 175 (135 ain't too shabby either). Enjoy!

John

User Info Menu

A good 175 is all you need! Nicely done. May you continue to be inspired by your new musical companion.

Roli

User Info Menu

Congrats for these beautiful guitars!

User Info Menu

Happy New Guitar Day!

User Info Menu

Picture-perfect!

User Info Menu

Very nice! No excuses now...

The es 175 is one of those guitars I wish I didn’t like 1988 Gibson ES-175–woohoo! so congrats on a excellent new guitar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

I didn’t realize how close the neck pickup was to the end of the fretboard on the 135 until this pic. The 175 obviously looks a little classier with the bound neck and inlays.

1988 Gibson ES-175–woohoo!-37064795-03ea-44e1-9f51-92b7b6073541-jpg

Soundwise, I was surprised how bright the 175 was compared to the 135, though it wasn’t hard to dial in a mellow jazz tone. Obviously the greater “air” in the box contributes to the resonance. I also found the 175 had a wider variety of tones than the 135, most of which I would never use LOL.

With the neck pickup, they had a similar vibe, with the 175 having more thunk of course. I actually prefer the middle selector position on the 135, at least on first listen. The 175 sounds a little quacky with both pickups, but maybe I just need to get used to tone controls?
    It's possible that the different neck lengths (16 fret vs 14) contributes to that, but I don't know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    It's possible that the different neck lengths (16 fret vs 14) contributes to that, but I don't know.
    Yes I imagine that’s the case. When I got my 135 I thought it looked just like a 175, only thinner. It’s pretty obvious now that there are several small differences that add up to them being very different beasts...135 balsa wood block, pinned TOM bridge, neck pickup being placed at the end of the fretboard, longer trapeze and length from bridge to end, maple construction, etc.

The surprising thing is that they sound as similar as they do, at least with the tone rolled down on both. That’s where the similarities—pickups, etc.—come in.

I’m sure as I play the 175 I will find more differences. I already thought it was “harder” to play than the 135–slightly different neck feel, string spacing, position. But of course after a short while I got used to it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Yes I imagine that’s the case. When I got my 135 I thought it looked just like a 175, only thinner. It’s pretty obvious now that there are several small differences that add up to them being very different beasts...135 balsa wood block, pinned TOM bridge, neck pickup being placed at the end of the fretboard, longer trapeze and length from bridge to end, maple construction, etc.

The surprising thing is that they sound as similar as they do, at least with the tone rolled down on both. That’s where the similarities—pickups, etc.—come in.

I’m sure as I play the 175 I will find more differences. I already thought it was “harder” to play than the 135–slightly different neck feel, string spacing, position. But of course after a short while I got used to it.

The picture makes them look like having different scale lengths, but that's just an optical illusion .. They're both 24.75", aren't they?

User Info Menu

There are 2 things I prefer on the 135–the closed modern tuners—more stable—and the speed knobs. Yes I know you lose points for vintageness and I won’t change the 175, but these are definitely advantages in my book.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Congrats. I have a 1982 mahogany ES 175 myself that has appeared in many videos here! These 1980s mahos are really nice. Mine has the Tim Shaw pick ups to boot.

DB

User Info Menu

Congratulations on what looks like a wonderful addition to your collection. Enjoy

User Info Menu

Welcome back to the "I Have an ES-175, I've Got All the Jazz Guitar I Need" club. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Dr Jeff,
    I'm so glad the guitar made it out to you safe and sound!
    I'm always so nervous when I send (and receive) instruments via UPS or really any other delivery service. I've heard so many horror stories but happily (knock on wood) I've not really experienced any issues with shipping.
    I'd also like to add that this community is the best both for buying and selling stuff and for all the great interaction and sharing of ideas.
    Kudos to everyone here on the site and to the creator of this site as well!
    Best of luck with the guitar Dr Jeff!

Steve R

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmanstever
    Dr Jeff,
    I'm so glad the guitar made it out to you safe and sound!
    I'm always so nervous when I send (and receive) instruments via UPS or really any other delivery service. I've heard so many horror stories but happily (knock on wood) I've not really experienced any issues with shipping.
    I'd also like to add that this community is the best both for buying and selling stuff and for all the great interaction and sharing of ideas.
    Kudos to everyone here on the site and to the creator of this site as well!
    Best of luck with the guitar Dr Jeff!

Steve R
    Thanks for offering the guitar and the attention to detail in packing and shipping.

Kudoes to UPS--on this one they were awesome--48 hours, not a scratch or dent on the cardboard.

Yes this is a great community, and it's good to know you can buy something so significant with confidence.