The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 81

User Info Menu

Make offer option also.
    Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Not a bad price really depending on your preference. In person might be fine wood shows flame.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

HT I am "green" with envy!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Great price! IMO, it would look even better with gold hardware. I have no problem with trans-green finishes, especially on beautiful archtops.

User Info Menu

Free shipping too!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Make offer option also.

User Info Menu

Roseboro North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    If I lived near the seller I'd consider a look.

User Info Menu

Asked the seller for a photo of the back of the head. Serial number M00102. "M" would be 1996. Great time period.

User Info Menu

A quick refinish and some gold:

Green Heritage JS?-2021-01-22_8-47-01-pngGreen Heritage JS?-2021-01-22_8-47-24-pngGreen Heritage JS?-2021-01-22_8-47-55-png

User Info Menu

I bought the green beast.

The owner is a long time friend of Vince Lewis, who helped him get this guitar in 2006. If Vince thought it's a good build, then it's a good build.

I once owned the non-cutaway Heritage Golden Eagle in black. That is a stunningly beautiful guitar in person but hard to keep clean looking, for those who sweat those details. I may refinish the Heritage Johnny Smith in black with gold hardware. It will still be a Johnny Smith but not green.

There are a few dings and small scratches plus two strap pins at the neck joint. All of that would disappear. Further, the Johnny Smith doesn't have a fretboard tongue like the L-5. That makes it much easier to get the original finish off. The back of the headstock is black already, so the serial number would stay original.

The wood figuring is okay but not breathtaking AFAICT. If and when the green stripped we can judge whether going natural is a better choice.

The green finish was definitely ordered by the customer that way. Maybe it was after a long morning in a pub on St. Patty's day. Maybe after a few days, green starts to look great.

I recently sold a few instruments. Now it's time for a new adventure.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the purchase ! Can’t wait to see what you do with it. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Here is a pic of Vince Lewis playing it. The color doesn't seem as important when it's in the hands of a master.

Green Heritage JS?-green-jhs-vince-lewis-jpg

User Info Menu

Here's Vince playing in a barn near my house a few years ago with a few guys backing him up. They are all playing on the fly.

User Info Menu

I bought the green beast.
    The owner is a long time friend of Vince Lewis, who helped him get this guitar in 2006. If Vince thought it's a good build, then it's a good build.
    I once owned the non-cutaway Heritage Golden Eagle in black. That is a stunningly beautiful guitar in person but hard to keep clean looking, for those who sweat those details. I may refinish the Heritage Johnny Smith in black with gold hardware. It will still be a Johnny Smith but not green.
    There are a few dings and small scratches plus two strap pins at the neck joint. All of that would disappear. Further, the Johnny Smith doesn't have a fretboard tongue like the L-5. That makes it much easier to get the original finish off. The back of the headstock is black already, so the serial number would stay original.
    The wood figuring is okay but not breathtaking AFAICT. If and when the green stripped we can judge whether going natural is a better choice.
    The green finish was definitely ordered by the customer that way. Maybe it was after a long morning in a pub on St. Patty's day. Maybe after a few days, green starts to look great.
    I recently sold a few instruments. Now it's time for a new adventure.
    It's your guitar now, to do with as you with. If it was my guitar:
    -I'd start by swapping in gold hardware - the existing finish might look great with gold.
    -If not, I'd consider refinishing just the top in black, leaving the rims and back green.
    Anyway - congrats! If I was in the market, I would have grabbed this one in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-23-2021 at 06:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Congratulations, Mark. We need another thread on the refin.

User Info Menu

My Green New Deal.

I have previously bought odd colored instruments. After I had them a while they became more interesting and attractive. The black Golden Eagle and blue Super Eagle are examples. The American Eagle is another. The red L-5c is yet another. My ES-345 is the recent one.

Green Heritage JS?-blue-2-jpgGreen Heritage JS?-blue-se-jpgGreen Heritage JS?-49404281436_5ec8ee7367_c-jpg

User Info Menu

In the lighting of this photograph the green looks great to me. It has grown on me quite a bit along with the black hardware. If it was mine, I would keep as is.

Here is a pic of Vince Lewis playing it. The color doesn't seem as important when it's in the hands of a master.

Green Heritage JS?-green-jhs-vince-lewis-jpg

User Info Menu

I just saw my luthier, who has been around the block a lot. I mentioned the green Heritage and that it was an odd color for an archtop. He has seen some in his career and felt the deeper emerald green color is very attractive in person. He added that the archtop Bob Benedetto built for his daughter is that color.

I found some Benedettos, Triggs and a Gibson Byrdland in that finish. They look okay.

Green Heritage JS?-5a7663f9f190baaa1a50b884685ad989-jpgGreen Heritage JS?-images-jpgGreen Heritage JS?-p4020025-jpgGreen Heritage JS?-9a298273351e0071b684085930558f04-jpg

Unretouched photos of Johnny himself showing his color preference.

Green Heritage JS?-maxresdefault-jpgGreen Heritage JS?-hqdefault-jpg

User Info Menu

Here's Michael Greenfield's Montreux in green - one of the first green archtops, I think:
    Attached Images Attached Images Green Heritage JS?-greenfield-montreux-green-full-3-jpg Green Heritage JS?-greenfield-montreux-green-back-3-jpg 

User Info Menu

Mark Campellone has done a few as well. Here's one from 2015:
    Attached Images Attached Images Green Heritage JS?-img_3172_495-jpg Green Heritage JS?-img_3205_495-jpg 

User Info Menu

2003 Triggs Blue Diamond (I don't think it was ever blue):
    Attached Images Attached Images Green Heritage JS?-triggs-bluediamond-03-1-jpg Green Heritage JS?-triggs-bluediamond-03-2-jpg 

User Info Menu

I think Emerald Green is gorgeous.
    Attached Images Attached Images Green Heritage JS?-p4020002-jpg Green Heritage JS?-p4020038-jpg Green Heritage JS?-p4020052-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-25-2021 at 01:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Color-blind jokes aside, it actually is quite wickedly cool. Very distinctive. Some guitars are just born to be green.
    Congrats on the purchase! Play it long and play it well!

User Info Menu

Steve Holst has gotten in on the Green Deal as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images Green Heritage JS?-holst-32-jpg 

User Info Menu

Yeah it’s a doggone nice score Marty
    Hammer those other guitars are all tasty

User Info Menu

+1 Deep emerald green

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    In the lighting of this photograph the green looks great to me. It has grown on me quite a bit along with the black hardware. If it was mine, I would keep as is.
    Agree.

User Info Menu

My Prospect is that color, I think it looks great with black hardware...

Green Heritage JS?-heritage_prospect_s-jpg