The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 67

User Info Menu

I think it's a hollow body filled with a partial center block !

or…
    Can we consider a "full" hollow as a completely filled in body, in other words, a "solid" body ?

Ok, sorry !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Maybe we can start a fight over this ?
    ’Lets get ready to rumble!!’

And in one corner we have:
    Both Sweetwater and Thomann have that one labelled as a semi-hollow too

And in the other corner we have:
    Andertons are definitely describing the AMH90 (and AM2000H) as full hollow guitars

In the third corner we have:
    Ibanez.com has the AM series in the hollow body category but says nothing about the build except:
    The AM was released by Ibanez for the first time in the early '80s. Though smaller in size than other hollow bodies,

In the fourth corner, a bit more confusing:
    the Ibanez AR series, similar but under electric guitars not hollow body says :
    Hollow Body Construction

Oh, Ibanez.

That being said .. I fully trust Andertons description .. Especially given that Pete actually sticks his fingers thru the F-hole while describing it.

It's a hollow guitar with a small block or a post under the bridge ... I suspect Sweetwater and Thomann both just post something random they've received from Ibanez .. I mean .. FFS Ibanez

But wanna have a go at the AM90H given the new info or is the partial centerblock or whatever we call it still a deal breaker?

User Info Menu

I’ll go for a used AM93ME I love the ebony, but at the right price. Once the Artcore line hits the used market the prices usually go low. Not really a problem As I got my AF95FM list 1000, new selling price 670, for 450.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    That being said .. I fully trust Andertons description .. Especially given that Pete actually sticks his fingers thru the F-hole while describing it.
    Understood ,so the question is ....

Does the small block under the bridge contact the back or not ??

(if not it is a hollowbody , if yes it is a semi hollow)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    I’ll go for a used AM93ME I love the ebony, but at the right price. Once the Artcore line hits the used market the prices usually go low. Not really a problem As I got my AF95FM list 1000, new selling price 670, for 450.

Yeah ... Used is always >>>>>>>>>>>> new

Only problem is if you want something niche then it can be hard to find on the used market. But I'm in a small country, so we don't get a lot of choice

(Which is the only reason I have an Ibanez PM100 and not a Gibson ES175 .. Tho gotta say the PM100 is such a joy, so not like I'm complaining)
    Last edited by Lobomov; 01-21-2021 at 12:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Understood ,so the question is ....

Does the small block under the bridge contact the back or not ??

(if not it is a hollowbody , if yes it is a semi hollow)
    Whatever people call it, we need someone to crack one open and post pics or a YouTube video.

User Info Menu

But wanna have a go at the AM90H given the new info or is the partial centerblock or whatever we call it still a deal breaker?
    It will be perfectly fine. Small block below the bridge is the way Prs does it and I think it’s not new in the world of arch tops.
    the real question is if it will add something new compared to Ibanez pm 120..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HarryPm
    It will be perfectly fine. Small block below the bridge is the way Prs does it and I think it’s not new in the world of arch tops.
    the real question is if it will add something new compared to Ibanez pm 120..

If nothing else it's a different set of pups (super58s vs. silent58s) and you don't get that one tone knob before two volume pots wiring. Given the small block it's probably also slightly more feedback resistant, but who knows? .. Oh yeah .. and you get a roasted neck, if you believe that makes a difference?

But it currently sits at almost twice the price of a used pm120, so the there is that too .. but I don't know how often you see a pm120 for sale tho?

User Info Menu

If nothing else it's a different set of pups (super58s vs. silent58s) and you don't get that one tone knob before two volume pots wiring. Given the small block it's probably also slightly more feedback resistant, but who knows? .. Oh yeah .. and you get a roasted neck, if you believe that makes a difference?

But it currently sits at almost twice the price of a used pm120, so the there is that too .. but I don't know how often you see a pm120 for sale tho?
    a used pm120 is very rare and it goes for about 1800 euros these days I think.

but I correct myself as I just saw the dimensions of the new am body. It’s significantly smaller than 16” at width so yes I believe it should have a different character altogether. Maybe more midrange and focused sound. But it will still have a full acoustic properties at least much more than the original AM version which carries a center block.

very tempting...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles;[URL="tel:1092460"
    1092460[/URL]]Whatever people call it, we need someone to crack one open and post pics or a YouTube video.
    or just poke a phone through the f hole

User Info Menu

a used pm120 is very rare and it goes for about 1800 euros these days I think.
    Hmm .. I gut says 1400-1500 euros sounds more right .. at least for one of the black ones .. Tho you never know these days .. I'm still thinking in 2019 prices and prices have gone up a good bit since COVID hit?

User Info Menu

Is usual from Ibanez, nothing left handed..

User Info Menu

Hmm .. I gut says 1400-1500 euros sounds more right .. at least for one of the black ones .. Tho you never know these days .. I'm still thinking in 2019 prices and prices have gone up a good bit since COVID hit?
    if I could find a pm120 at 1400€, I would buy a second one in a heartbeat!

User Info Menu

IBANEZ PM - 120 - #6785692 - su Mercatino Musicale in Chitarre Semiacustiche

User Info Menu

You guys are enablers!

User Info Menu

Maybe I should start appreciating my own PM120 more??

It's usually the one I reach for as it is comfortable as hell .. But never liked the 3 knob controls and find that while it sounds fine .. It is kinda bland. Some day I'll change the pups and maybe make someone install a 4th knob?

User Info Menu

It's usually the one I reach for as it is comfortable as hell .. But never liked the 3 knob controls and find that while it sounds fine .. It is kinda bland. Some day I'll change the pups and maybe make someone install a 4th knob?
    Personally I don’t miss the missing tone knob. I kinda prefer it that way and I would never drill a new hole.

But pickups yes, I would consider changing them but I am too lazy to mess with it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Is usual from Ibanez, nothing left handed..
    AF55L | AF | HOLLOW BODIES | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars

But not a thinline
    Last edited by thelostboss; 01-23-2021 at 01:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Seriously. Lindy Fralin Modern PAF on my PM200.
    ”No other love have I”
    (Richard Rodgers, “No Other Love”)

User Info Menu

I bought the AM2000H last week. The guitar is stunning.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Huicw
    I bought the AM2000H last week. The guitar is stunning.
    As one of the few with first-hand experience of the AM2000H, perhaps you could clarify something for me: I understand that there is a block under the bridge; does it extend all the way to, and connect with the back of the guitar? Or is there a void between the block and the back?

Also, what is the weight of your guitar?

Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by c411vm
    As one of the few with first-hand experience of the AM2000H, perhaps you could clarify something for me: I understand that there is a block under the bridge; does it extend all the way to, and connect with the back of the guitar? Or is there a void between the block and the back?

Also, what is the weight of your guitar?

Thanks in advance.

I too am eager to gain this secret knowledge! Center post, or fully hollow?

As to the weight, a dealer told me it's 6lb 1.5oz! Very attractive! But, a super tiny lower bout - 13 7/8"! Also, factory strings are 13'!

User Info Menu

Is a violin with a tone post a semi-hollow?

User Info Menu

From what I've heard on YT, I think the PM120 sounds pretty spectacular. I have the Super 58's in my PM100 and I really love those things. Are the Silent 58's that much different?

User Info Menu

FWIW I found the A6 way too bright on my PM200. I liked the Silent 58, but choose the Fralin Modern PAF at 7Ohms as it moderated the brightness of the whole guitar, yet responds nicely.
    I am going to go back to the silent 58 sometime soon, just to go back to the beginning and see what’s what.