The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 67 of 67

User Info Menu

Tone 5 for jk ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well I bought one for myself. GC had one and I snapped it up. Can confirm it has a full, bridge-sized center post.

Guitar weighs 6lb 7oz.

It's much smaller across the lower bout than I expected. Looks almost like a Les Paul.

Overall, though, the sound is quite tinny and small. Doesn't have any of the heft as a hollowbody would. Sounds more like a Gretsch than anything. I'll most certainly be returning it. It doesn't even approach my Sadowsky semi-hollow, which has opened up tremendously in the year since I bought it basically brand new.

New Ibanez Thinline Hollowbodies-20210709_164441-jpg

User Info Menu

Size doth matter!)

User Info Menu

Also neck heavy!

Played it back to back with my '97 AS200 and it wasn't even close. The AS200 has all the metal and wire tonality you could ask for, but can still sound like a jazz box.

Also, the woods Ibanez has settled on for these axes is far from the maple of yore. African "nyatoh"? I'm not impressed. Tonality is pretty bland, and not nearly as pretty.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T100_guy
    Also neck heavy!

Played it back to back with my '97 AS200 and it wasn't even close. The AS200 has all the metal and wire tonality you could ask for, but can still sound like a jazz box.

Also, the woods Ibanez has settled on for these axes is far from the maple of yore. African "nyatoh"? I'm not impressed. Tonality is pretty bland, and not nearly as pretty.
    thanks for the feedback. Very interesting

User Info Menu

Well, on Ebay they're evenly slit between hollow and semi-hollow. One seller can't make up their mind...

Ibanez Artcore Expressionist AMH90 Semi-hollowbody Electric Guitar - Black

Hollowbody Electric Guitar with Linden Top, Back, and Sides, 3-pc Nyatoh/Maple Neck, Ebony Fingerboard, and 2 Humbucking Pickups - Black

I like the diminutive markers and the old style head design.

User Info Menu

I just bought the AMH90 in black and it is fully hollow apart from a block supporting the bridge wihich goes from top to bottom. BTW it's an awesome guitar save for the crabby tuners and the not very exciting Gibraltar Performer bridge for which I am looking for drop in replacements

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WJRowe
    I just bought the AMH90 in black and it is fully hollow apart from a block supporting the bridge wihich goes from top to bottom. BTW it's an awesome guitar save for the crabby tuners and the not very exciting Gibraltar Performer bridge for which I am looking for drop in replacements

User Info Menu

There used to be a Chinese made Ibanez ASR-70 that was fully hollow and had P90s. It was an easy player and sounded great, and I sold it because I thought I could always find another at $400 bucks. This is the one I sold: https://reverb.com/item/11844417-iba...bacco-sunburst

User Info Menu

What bridge and/or tuners did you get? I’m doing the same thing to my amh90. It would be nice to have them drop in. I’ll probably replace the tailpiece just to get rid of the gold.

User Info Menu

I play a Ibanez as120 for about 18 years now. It's Korean made by Cort. I find it sublime. The as200 MIJ is probably better. But hey, with my skills the as120 will do. Payed for about a 1000 euro's new. I guess you can find them used for about 5 a 6 hundred euro's. But make sure yoy get an Cort made one. Samick used to make them to and they had a different configuaration. Specially the Pickups were different i believe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf Field
    I play a Ibanez as120 for about 18 years now. It's Korean made by Cort. I find it sublime. The as200 MIJ is probably better. But hey, with my skills the as120 will do. Payed for about a 1000 euro's new. I guess you can find them used for about 5 a 6 hundred euro's. But make sure yoy get an Cort made one. Samick used to make them to and they had a different configuaration. Specially the Pickups were different i believe.
    i play an AF120 which I like too , but feel
    the same as you about an AF200 japanese !

mine is narrow headstock ,
    how can i tell which factory made mine ?

User Info Menu

Wel the Luthier who does the maintenance of my guitar said it was Cort made. The serial number of my guitar ends with a C. So that seems plausible. For what i know is that the AS120 is made by Samick untill 1995.After that date it went to Cort. Another thing is that the as120 has a little change in it's design. The cutaways before '95 are a bit rounder. And last but not least the pickups. The Cort made AS120 has super 58 humbuckers which i like a lot. Te Samick made guitar has super50's. Never heard them so maybe they are equal like.
    I dis a Google search and found this: AF120 | Ibanez Wiki | Fandom
    It says that the af 120 has super58's since "97. It doesn't mention the manufacturer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T100_guy
    Well I bought one for myself. GC had one and I snapped it up. Can confirm it has a full, bridge-sized center post.

Guitar weighs 6lb 7oz.

It's much smaller across the lower bout than I expected. Looks almost like a Les Paul.

Overall, though, the sound is quite tinny and small. Doesn't have any of the heft as a hollowbody would. Sounds more like a Gretsch than anything. I'll most certainly be returning it. It doesn't even approach my Sadowsky semi-hollow, which has opened up tremendously in the year since I bought it basically brand new.

New Ibanez Thinline Hollowbodies-20210709_164441-jpg
    You've expected $500 guitar to sound like Sadowsky?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Don't forget that during some of the 1970's, the ES-335 (always a semi) had a trapeze tailpiece.

Yes, and I replaced mine with a stud. Instantly an improvement for tuning, etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jerzy
    You've expected $500 guitar to sound like Sadowsky?
    Why not a Sadowsky does !

(ok that was a joke
    Sadowskies are great)

User Info Menu

I finally swapped out the pickups and wire harness. I had to drill out the holes a bit to fit the standard pot posts. I used Lollar Novel 90s and it sounds so much better. I still have the small hole from the split switch, so i'm thinking of adding a kill switch just so i don't have the hole. Anyone know where i can get an ebony bridge the will fit the tune-o-matic posts?

New Ibanez Thinline Hollowbodies-img_6480-jpgI